SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buying 95 SC400 172k, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 12:24 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this out with my Civic- sometimes your best bet with replacing interior parts is to modify something similar or to see if another model/cross platform shared parts with yours.

Best example I could give is the DIY post for making your automatic into a shift boot. I did that with my A4, and forever had people arguing with me that it wasn't a Tiptronic.
Old 10-09-11, 12:30 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Color looks great! Interior looks hurled! Find some seats in better condition, and replace that ac controls display. You could make this a really nice car, if you do it right. Leatherseats is definately worth it.
Old 10-09-11, 03:28 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Its too bad you don't live in CO Kal, I have almost a complete mint interior sitting in my basement.

As for the seats, your best bet is to go to a pull-it-yourself junkyard and just find some new seats. I actually helped another member on here pull some almost perfect seats out of a 97 SC400 at the pull-n-save here in Denver. They charged him $50 for the front two seats and $40 for the back seat.
Theres only so much I can do, living this far away, but if you need help with anything let me know.

And if it makes you feel any better, I paid $5000 for my 93 SC400 with mint condition leather seats, 2 dents in the body (quarter size), oem wheels and 125,000 miles.
$3000 isnt bad for what you got but Im sure that if you waited a little longer and kept looking you'd find a better SC. It took me 6 months to find mine.

Good luck to you, pm if you have any questions or need any help.
Old 10-09-11, 05:55 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
I found this out with my Civic- sometimes your best bet with replacing interior parts is to modify something similar or to see if another model/cross platform shared parts with yours.

Best example I could give is the DIY post for making your automatic into a shift boot. I did that with my A4, and forever had people arguing with me that it wasn't a Tiptronic.
Hmmm thats not a bad idea. Thanks

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Its too bad you don't live in CO Kal, I have almost a complete mint interior sitting in my basement.

As for the seats, your best bet is to go to a pull-it-yourself junkyard and just find some new seats. I actually helped another member on here pull some almost perfect seats out of a 97 SC400 at the pull-n-save here in Denver. They charged him $50 for the front two seats and $40 for the back seat.
Theres only so much I can do, living this far away, but if you need help with anything let me know.

And if it makes you feel any better, I paid $5000 for my 93 SC400 with mint condition leather seats, 2 dents in the body (quarter size), oem wheels and 125,000 miles.
$3000 isnt bad for what you got but Im sure that if you waited a little longer and kept looking you'd find a better SC. It took me 6 months to find mine.

Good luck to you, pm if you have any questions or need any help.
I appreciate the support man.

I am actually going to the junk yard with my friend to find seats and other plastics on tuesday, looked up the diagrams and everything. $90 is not bad at all, I remember when I changed one front seat in my 91 cadillac they charged me $35 for it. Hopefully I get a better deal this time.

As for your SC that is a very sweet deal. I reckon they cost around 65 or something in that condition. I know I rushed this one off but I hope the future holds better surprises.
Old 10-10-11, 11:15 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Mattstar, that's crazy- I paid the exact same amount for my '97 with similar condition. I think we should buy lotto tickets tonite- just to be silly. And it took me about 6 months to find mine; it was relisted on Ebay because of a deadbeat bidder.

Kalo- if you're willing to look at the junkyards, there is literally no limit to what you can find. I bring my toolbox, a cooler full of drinks and some very old clothes with me when I go- and it's always an adventure. Reminds me of being a kid and getting my hands dirty.

Again, great buy there. I wouldn't spend time second guessing my purchase, since it sounds like you're happy overall with it. Any effort you put into restoring her to her former glory you can chalk up to therapy- it's cheaper in the long run, and you don't have all those pesky pills to worry about.

I'm reminded sometimes about the quote from Jay Leno, about his wife rather him smell like ozone/gas than another woman's perfume. I use that sometimes with the g/f- doesn't really help, but I think it does.
Old 11-02-11, 12:20 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I see all these great threads about rebuilds and projects and stuff. I didnt want to start a whole new thread so Ill add to this one. Uploading pics tomorrow or later, my time schedue is getting crowded more and more as Im getting closer to the end of the semester (Nov already???!)

Mods and fixes done so far:
- Replaced battery & alternator
- Replaced radio and speakers and rewired everything
- Fixed tilt steering (woohoo finally I can see the dash )
- Cleaned up engine from oil and dirt (my hands were dripping with oil when I took off the alt. no wonder it failed)

Mods and fixes in progress:
- Removed rear seats, building a custom speaker box and storage area.
- Install an extra pair of speakers + my old subs

Future mods and fixes:
- Replace cover gasket (or use that sealer or something from autozone hmmm)
- Rebuild or replace transmission
- Replace dash and weather control
- Replace trunk struts
- Replace door panels/carpets/center console bla bla bla (basically all front interior)
- Get smaller wheels instead of the 20's

Distant Future mods and fixes:
- Manual trans. conversion
- Performance and turbo and all that stuff
- Chromify OEM wheels
- Custom paint job

Thats all I could think off the top of my head at 3am. I expect my progress to be slow when winter really hits (All work is in front of the house parking lot, it gets so cold feels like ) but I promise I will keep at it

- Kal