SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sick of it all, going to look at OBD-1 540i's tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 10:34 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

They're not all that bad. My lil brother had the same model and I loved it
I may have to travel next year up-n-down the coast and was thinking about a 740iL.
I dont think they'll respond well if i add a huge stereo and TV's to the company car

I may be coming to the end of my SC run as well

Good luck with everything!

~Em
Old 10-02-02, 04:34 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As both a Bimmer owner (330 CiC) and a Lexus owner (GS430), going from a Lexus to a Bimmer, especially used and out of warranty can be quite trying. Expensive replacement parts and consistently faulty electronics will open your eyes quickly. Alot of Bimmer owners are too proud and feel this comes with the price of owning a Bimmer, so they deny that it's a nuisance. Simply look at their customer retention, satisfaction and sales figures, all in decline, to see that The Ultimate Driving Machine only goes in one direction- to the Service Dept.
Old 10-02-02, 05:27 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Mad, what do you expect to sell your SC for and what will the 540 cost? How much are you planning on paying for the 540 mods? Which car do you WANT to go FAST in irrespective of price/ease/cost?

If you WANT the BMW... go for it. A 6 speed V8 has LOTS of appeal!

If you prefer the SC... consider that almost ALL the Supra turbo stuff works. Brakes, suspension, LSD. There is a couple of companies that can supply you with a bellhousing to bolt up a Supra Turbo 6 speed. A 3.76 gear quaife LSD with your existing auto would probably get your SC in the performance range you are targeting. A set of headers and good exhaust, a converter and the LSD should yield mid to high 13s.

Anyway, not trying to sway you one way or the other. Good luck either way. Stay in touch.
Old 10-02-02, 05:30 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I know the BMW dealers are real bastards... I am exceptionally hard-nosed with dealers, I've even been told not to come back, but at the right place I drive a hard bargain. The only way an sc300 turbo would be an option at this point is if Toyomoto made their kits CARB legal for Cali.

I also realize the Supra component options are there, but apparently so does everyone else. Most places can't even keep Supra front clips in stock, and even if I got all the parts I can easily see the car turning into a money pit. The '95 is the best year for the 540 because they solved the motor issues in that year and it's still OBD-I which means I can work on the motor myself and upgrades yield considerably more power.

Last edited by MadMaxSC400; 10-02-02 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-02-02, 05:32 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default About your SC

Hey Max,

IF you're in the market to sell your ECU/intake...lemme know.
Thanks.

Anthracite SC
Old 10-02-02, 05:33 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Wut about the vette?

I have my friend who still is looking to move is C5 vette. Really low miles. I thought u were interested in that one Max?
Old 10-02-02, 05:38 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Too expensive for the vette.. If I sell my car I'll have less than $10k overhead from the BMW. Miles and abuse is everything with it at this point. Who knows anyway, I might test drive a 540 and decide the car is a piece of junk. At that point I guess I'd be looking into subaru WRX's or a good MR2 turbo.
Old 10-02-02, 05:45 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default ecu/intake

Well..let me know if you're going to sell your intake. you have a buyer right here. =)
Old 10-03-02, 01:23 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put the WRX and MR2 at the top of the list. Japanese performance machines are sooo much better than German performance machines, IMO. Aftermarket is astonishingly cheaper, more available, and more comprehensive, engines are generally overbuilt and can sustain a lot of additional power, parts and service are much cheaper, reliability issues aren't as frequent, body styling isn't as dated, etc, etc. I think my top choice would be a WRX. VERY easy to make those ******es into 12-second cars . And they are going for what? $22,000 BRAND NEW? Used will be way under $20,000, especially when the STI models come to the US.
Old 10-03-02, 05:31 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

You make a good point.. my money situation may be changing so I may not be wanting to risk an outlay of cash right now.. I'm still losing the SC but I'll probably wait a couple weeks before I do anything. Seems there's been a mad rush recently for fast used cars in the BA. Strange.
Old 10-03-02, 03:19 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Careful with the WRX. Alot of people on the i-club board seem to have a problem with the tranny. Think fragile. If you're looking for an AWD monster then you might want to wait till Jan. Mitsu will be releasing the EVO VII here for sale finally. And the Skyline will be released in 2004. I understad your frustration too. I'm either gonna go with the EVO or build a Silvia. Good luck.
Old 10-03-02, 03:28 PM
Lvangundy

Yes, I know someone personally who had a 2000(or 2001?) WRX and had problems with the tranny. He said not long after he had it and did some 'good' driving he said it seemed it felt like the clutch was slipping and the car had lost power.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 10-03-02 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-03-02, 03:34 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default MR2 turbo a helluva consideration

I've considered it myself. I saw one in Super Street puttin' down high 4's on the dyno if I'm not mistaken, and it looked NAZTY with the aerokit and 18" wheels.

It's mid engine, handles pretty well, light, toyota product (reliable) and has a good bit of options out there as well. Top Secret's supra that did landspeed of 203 had a MR2 motor in it putting out 790hp,.... RIDICULOUS!!!

I'd opt for the MR2,.... make it look like the minature ferrari or somethin' and kick a lotta azz!
Old 10-03-02, 04:24 PM
LexFather

The Japanese do a great job of making cars that have severe inherent flaws, and produce very few truly great cars. **** 'em.

That is nuts to say.
Old 10-03-02, 04:52 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 3S-GTE engine is found on the Celica all-trac too.

Quick Reply: Sick of it all, going to look at OBD-1 540i's tomorrow