SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Key question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 05:55 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key question

I'm still tinkering and identifying things that aren't right with this car and I'm to the point of the keys.

The car came with two keys. One key with a single button that opens the doors and trunk but won't fit in the ignition or start the car. This key is missing the button and doesn't have a battery in it and has a broken contact point for the battery.

Which key is this... The master key or a different key. Everything I"ve found says the master key is a three button key. I'm thinking the three button key is only after a certain year.

The second key is just a standard key with no buttons. It won't open the doors or trunk but will start the car.

I don't have any keys that will work the glove box or the interior trunk controls.

I've read that to program a new master key you have to have the old master key, or replace the ecu with the keys. I've read alot on the subject and haven't been able to find a clear answer to a very simple question... Whats it going to take to get one key that works everything.
Old 10-11-11, 07:04 PM
SourLex
Rookie

what year is your car? mine is a 98 . when i got mine the master key with 3 buttons it was able to unlock everything and start the car. and they key with no buttons was the valet key it could unlock the doors and start the car but could not unlock the trunk and glove box. it sound like you might have the wrong master key. call up the stealership and ask how much its going to cost for a new one.
Old 10-12-11, 07:55 AM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

Its a 92 SC3. Here's my keys.
Key question-dsc00230.jpg

Key question-dsc00231.jpg

Key question-dsc00232.jpg

Key question-dsc00233.jpg

The one with the button unlocks the doors and trunk.
The standard key with no buttons starts the car.
Old 10-12-11, 08:31 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Previous owner must've replaced the locks at some point with different keys. Your cheapest route would probably buy a whole set of locks with keys from eBay. Every now and then somebody sells a whole set so you can at least have a set that's all the same.
Old 10-12-11, 09:00 AM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

So its the locks them selves. I can probably just have a lock smith re-key the ignition switch to match the door key.
Old 10-12-11, 09:18 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not really sure how that works, but update this thread when you do so others with the same problem can relate to it. LOL
Old 10-12-11, 09:22 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I don't think a locksmith can rekey the Lexus keys. Heck, most places can't even make a replacement lexus key
Old 10-12-11, 09:34 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

You will probably have to go to Lexus for a key. You can try Sewell Lexus' parts site. They offer a discount on keys, as well as other parts for Club Lexus members.

A master key without the remote isn't too expensive last time I checked.
Old 10-15-11, 08:57 AM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeperTTz
I'm still tinkering and identifying things that aren't right with this car and I'm to the point of the keys.

The car came with two keys. One key with a single button that opens the doors and trunk but won't fit in the ignition or start the car. This key is missing the button and doesn't have a battery in it and has a broken contact point for the battery.

Which key is this... The master key or a different key. Everything I"ve found says the master key is a three button key. I'm thinking the three button key is only after a certain year.

The second key is just a standard key with no buttons. It won't open the doors or trunk but will start the car.

I don't have any keys that will work the glove box or the interior trunk controls.

I've read that to program a new master key you have to have the old master key, or replace the ecu with the keys. I've read alot on the subject and haven't been able to find a clear answer to a very simple question... Whats it going to take to get one key that works everything.
Key with 3 buttons on it, someone simply took a newer style key and cut it to work in some of your locks. The buttons on that key wont work with your model year car. For the 92 you cannot program the keyless entry chip as it is a read only chip. In order to get it working again you have to order a new set of keys and the a new ROM chip from lexus. see my DIY here:

From the factory the master key should have been the key with the single button. But anyone at anytime after could have had the dealer cut any key to the correct master key code, I think. Your key that starts the car but doesn't work in anything else might be the result of a car theft in which they screwed the original ignition key cylindar. The previous owner may have only replaced this cylindar and didnt worry about replacing the other locks.
Old 10-16-11, 10:58 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

I've been thinking on the subject and what I've come up with is go to the junkyard. There are two sc's in a local yard and so far, if the price is right, the plan is to get all lock cylinders and the master key with eprom from one of them. Its good to know two keys with eprom is 280. I'm thinking everything I need should run around 150-200. The end result will be all locks back to the same key and hopefully working keyless entry. Hopefully.
Old 10-17-11, 07:41 AM
skousenjr
Driver

Originally Posted by Zeke21
I think. Your key that starts the car but doesn't work in anything else might be the result of a car theft in which they screwed the original ignition key cylindar. The previous owner may have only replaced this cylindar and didnt worry about replacing the other locks.
I agree on that one.

Plan B......

Aftermarket alarm system to unlock the doors, and trunk and use the ignition key on the fob. Only down side is if the power drains and you cant activate the locks, you will need that door key.
Old 10-17-11, 02:28 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

Originally Posted by skousenjr
I agree on that one.

Plan B......

Aftermarket alarm system to unlock the doors, and trunk and use the ignition key on the fob. Only down side is if the power drains and you cant activate the locks, you will need that door key.
I've thought of this as well. Viper makes a plain jane keyless entry for 149 installed. The only issue is the key that unlocks the doors won't unlock the drivers door. So if the power drains then I'm back to unlocking from the passenger side and walking around to the drivers side. I would prefer to have all locks back to the same key with the factory keyless entry, but if the junk yard try's to rip me off then I'll be going with a after market keyless entry.