SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1jz info needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-02, 01:41 AM
individualOLD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz info needed

hello all, new guy here. a friend of mine got me interested in the 1jz 2.5 twin turbo I-6 from the soarers, and i cant find a whole lot of information on it. can anyone here help me out? any website with specs, mods, availability, etc would be great. a site with some soundclips of stock and modded 1jzs would be awesome. thanks guys.
Old 10-03-02, 01:55 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple 1JZ-GTE guys around here (London Bill, jzz30-tt, Toan Nyugen, Soarer-007, Soarer_25GTT, Dimcorner, and probably more), but your biggest resource would probably be http://www.lexusclub.co.uk/ where all the JDM Soarer guys hang out. You can also go to www.SupraForums.com and research the MKIII Supra TT, same drivetrain.
Old 10-03-02, 02:32 AM
nismo270R
Rookie

For sounds look for some JDM MKIII supra videos, they had the 1jz over there. (7M here) there are a few 1jz's floating around ebay they are easy to get, 1.5 - 2k usually. I think its 285 or 280 hp 2.5i twin turbo. They are pretty good for modding, most of the stuff is in Japan though, kinda tough to get...

Old 10-03-02, 03:35 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

What a clean engine bay!!

hello all, new guy here. a friend of mine got me interested in the 1jz 2.5 twin turbo I-6 from the soarers, and i cant find a whole lot of information on it. can anyone here help me out? any website with specs, mods, availability, etc would be great. a site with some soundclips of stock and modded 1jzs would be awesome. thanks guys.
Hello and welcome to CL

The 1JZGTE is available not only from the Soarer coupe, but also in the MA71-shape JDM Supra (as Nismo270R said) as well as the JZX-chassis sedans (ie. Chaser, Mark II and Cresta Tourer V's)

These engines are actually quite tough, and are revvy things mind you. Like all JDM performance motors, the 1JZ was limited to 280hp and has a 180km/h speed cut built into it's ECU, as well as a 1.0bar boost cut!

Here's a quote from the LSOC site when I was mistaken that the RB26 is stronger than the 1JZ...

Jose
"1JZ is almost as strong as the RB26"
That's not saying much, probably selling the 1J very short - the RB26DETT is apparenty rather fragile internally - at least in comparison to the JZ series engines.
I was actually quite surprised that the 1JZ was stronger than Nissan's RB26, which really shows how tough the 1JZ engines really are.

Usual turbo modifications can get the 1JZ to be quite a fierce engine, with examples in Japan running around 300 (light tune)~800hp (heavy tune... no joke... check out Hyper Rev magazines), just ease off the boost to 14psi (just under 1bar) unless you decide to change turbos and ECU, as the turbo wheels are ceramic, and whilst too much boost can cause overspeeding, it's the minute particles that hit the ceramic wheels at 100000rpm, causing chipping etc. Also, the factory CT12A turbos on the 1JZ are not that efficient when boosting high, which you will need to take into consideration if you're going to boost hard, although many Soarer (1JZ) owners have done a modification called the "steel wheel" conversion, which is what it says - swapping the ceramic wheel with steel ones for reliability.

1JZGTE's are usually readily available from import wreckers, so your best bet is to give them a call.

That's just a taste of the 1JZ... enjoy
Old 10-03-02, 05:36 AM
nismo270R
Rookie

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
I was actually quite surprised that the 1JZ was stronger than Nissan's RB26, which really shows how tough the 1JZ engines really are.

Yeah but so far there no 1jz powered street car's on D.O.T legal tires have hit 8.6, RB has. The 1JZ is a great engine but it is no RB, RB + ATTESA-ETS = greatest car ever and once I get my money from the wreck I will own one.... ohh yeah Chris I will be running around the ol' SC300tt
Old 10-03-02, 09:06 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The RB26 engine needs internal engine work to be done to reach these horsepower levels, while the 1JZGTE doesn't need these, maybe apart from a better/thicker head gasket. Sure, many of these crazy-*** 1JZ engines are running around with hi-po cams or whatever, but most 1JZ engine work is performed OUTSIDE of the engine, such as larger turbos (or one phat Trust T78), big-*** intercooler and a larger fuel system.

After all is said and done, the 1JZ is still my favourite engine, but the RB26 is also an awesome engine don't get me wrong... I love them!
Old 10-03-02, 10:25 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

You could have a look at the SoarerTT website, some good stuff and links in there.
Old 10-03-02, 11:16 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Yup...

The 1JZ-GTE is a stronger engine than the RB26DETT in standard form. I have an article comparing the two engines here and it states that the only weak point in the 1JZ-GTE is the Ceramic wheels on the turbo's which sometimes fall off... However... It is altogether a better engine than the RB26DETT.

On a side note... Someone is selling a T-78 with 1JZ-GTE manifold complete for AUS$3k (or AUS$2200 for just the turbo).

http://mccr.madcars.org/msgboard/sho...rt=1#Post99309

:P

Toan.

Last edited by Toan Nguyen; 10-03-02 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-04-02, 12:18 AM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

hey quick question....

What's the stock boost level on the 1jz? I have no idea how much i can jack up my boost (Yes im' going to get a boost gauge soon). Also...

Which mag has that article about the 1jz and rb26dett? My friend with the skyline wants to see it himself
Old 10-04-02, 12:30 AM
individualOLD
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it. im really new to the toyota performance world and know very little about a few cars on the lineup. currently the only toyota i own is my beater, an 87 camry. however i am familiar with turbos and most areas of japanese performance cars. my pride and joy is my 2nd gen RX-7 turbo. my friend has an SC300 5-speed that he has plans for and he got me interested in the 1jz for an upcoming project car i want to build. hopefully i can figure out if the 2.5 TT is the right choice for what i want to do. one quick question before i hop off to check those sites listed......is it hard to get parts for the 1jz? ya know like the basic maintenance parts, plugs, oil filters, belts, etc, etc....id hat to get an engine i cant keep up the maintenance on. that would suck. anyways, thanks a bunch guys.
Old 10-04-02, 12:36 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Parts is easy - just not cheap here in the UK.
Old 10-04-02, 12:39 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

It seems all the 1JZ-GTE engines have ceramic turbines, these are fragile and dont like being pushed so 1Bar / 14.5PSI at the manifold is considered safe, you will need an FCD to prevent boost spike, more details on my site.
Old 10-04-02, 12:41 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dimcorner

Which mag has that article about the 1jz and rb26dett? My friend with the skyline wants to see it himself
Have a look on the LSOC forum it might be mentioned there.

LSOC
Old 10-04-02, 03:30 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know guys, T04R sounds good to me. I'm thinking about doing an engine swapt to a 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE and getting a nice T04R. Whatever is cheaper! Man, even the names sounds fearce! T04R, uhhhh!

Chris
Old 10-04-02, 12:34 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Anyone know of some websights that have 1jz parts for sale. Also what kind of EMS could I run with that eng?

Quick Reply: 1jz info needed