SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm thinking of downsizing from 19" wheels to 17" on slammed SC.. (opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 06:40 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scweet14
well even if you do get other rims, would you consider selling your 19's with tires??
and how much
i plan to sell the wheels eventually. i'll most likely have a "For Sale" thread in late Nov, or Dec.

just keep ur eyes peeled.
Old 10-18-11, 06:53 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep your 19s and do some notch work above your front tires. 18s with 40 series tires is still gonna be the same over all height as you are now with the 35 series 19" tires. For example, 235/40/18 = 25.4" and 235/35/19 = 25.5" which is less than 0.3% difference. And a 35 series tire on 18s will look too small and you would have to go even lower just to tuck it. Then its gonna be just as close as it is now. I like your 19s, keep them
Old 10-18-11, 07:21 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly don't think 17" inch wheels look bad. If you don't mind i'll post a pic of mine once i get my tires put on and i lower her some more. The only way i'd rock 17" is aggressively, like lowered on Supra TTs, or slammed.......
Old 10-18-11, 08:56 PM
Runvs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18" man I run em now too
Old 10-18-11, 10:45 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Think Slade's car was on 17's, his looked decent but otherwise don't think 17's are meant to be on sc's, I think my 18's are small sometimes, I'd figure out a way to make your 19's work. Seems like you care more about more "low" than than wheels but figured I'd share my cool story bro...
Old 10-18-11, 11:03 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

I actually think that you should RADIUS the fender wells! Take it to the next level.
The 19's look great on the SC chassis, in my opinion 17" is just too small.

If I ever again get an SC chassis, I will be tubbing the fender wells, and radiusing them as well. It looks so cool, but I've only seen a few actually go through with the procedure. There was actually one SC I saw that did it- it was all grey, with a fully red interior- the back bumper was a custom molding off a G35 kit... I can't find the pics- but the one thing that made it stand out as nicely done was the fact that they radiused the fenders.

Here's a few examples of radiused fenders (Though I'm sure you probably know what it is, I don't think others do):

This would seriously kick ***, instead of going smaller! (Not that that's a bad thing I suppose)
Old 10-18-11, 11:44 PM
Anferny
Rookie

What do you guys mean by tubing?
Old 10-18-11, 11:53 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on the money situation brotha I think UZZ-TT has a good idea. Take the time now to Radius the fenders and then maybe go with 18s on a 25 series tire. You know I'm running a low series and I'm no where near as low as you.

Or maybe do the 18s with Radius fenders and stretch an 18 tire a bit to make it just sit right on the Radius fender. Either way I know you are never satisfied until your SC is literally causing sparks while driving. And guess what.....I know someday you will make it happen and I will be there to see it.....haha
Old 10-19-11, 12:40 AM
SCKmiecik
Rookie

stay 19's with lower profile and sick pull.
Old 10-19-11, 04:00 AM
NerdRiot
Driver

I don't think tubbing will solve anything with this kind of set up unless you are have rubbing issues on the back side of the well. I apologize if I'm being ignorant but, isn't radiusing just pulling the fenders around the full circumference? If so, that also wouldn't help as the fender isnt the issue here, it's the frame. You could notch into the frame, but that is a dangerous game to play.
Old 10-19-11, 06:09 AM
PeteSoarer
Driver

I think the idea of tubing inner fenders in front is to increase space of the front wheels when you turn your wheel. Drift cars are good example because the front wheels turn more than normally. Tubing doesn't help directly to Migs situation or anybody who drive slammed SC's or Soarers.

Radiusing fenders? Isn't that just making things worse because fender line is higher and you have to lower car more to get flush look and causing more rubbing to frame. On SC it could be done in the rear becase there's a "lot" of room for tire.

I don't really see any other solution than doing some major modification to frame or not go lower

It would be really cool to see some pics of modyfied frames in SC's.
Old 10-19-11, 07:29 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

go with deeeeeeeeeeeep dish 18s. 17s are too small
Old 10-19-11, 09:19 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteSoarer
I think the idea of tubing inner fenders in front is to increase space of the front wheels when you turn your wheel. Drift cars are good example because the front wheels turn more than normally. Tubing doesn't help directly to Migs situation or anybody who drive slammed SC's or Soarers.
Tubbing isn't just to accommodate turning radius, even though the drift cars mainly use it for that purpose. The mini truck guys on bags have been using it for the same reason I want it for...to be able to drop the front more without having to worry about the frame.

Radiusing is definitely not what I need either. People typically do that to the rear fenders and I don't need that there. Only reason my rear can't go lower is because I've maxed out my coilovers in the rear.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm probably gonna go with my initial thoughts of 18's with nice dish.

Last edited by MIGS; 10-19-11 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-19-11, 10:02 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

17's are a tough look to pull off, but why go with the norm now.
Your cars have always stood out from the crowd... this is just another chance for you to set the bar a little higher for the rest of us!!!

17's FTW
Old 10-19-11, 10:29 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Keep in mind that wheel still have to travel, since you wont be reusing your plastic lining and want to stay low, you might have to notch that part of the frame. I wouldn't do it personally to my car, until i find a different solution like firmer shocks/springs. I am in the same situation as you, and trying not to drive much. Being ****ing low is addictive for sure! and it eats money fast. My brother tubed a 240sx and it was cool , but then again your body panels will be shaking like no other

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of downsizing from 19" wheels to 17" on slammed SC.. (opinions)