SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY: (w/pictures) How to wire foglight switch from interior to engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-22, 04:56 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to bump this after so long but how can we do this if our battery is in the trunk?
Old 12-22-22, 02:39 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by 94_soarer
sorry to bump this after so long but how can we do this if our battery is in the trunk?
That presents an additional challenge but you do have your factory under-hood electrical system working well with your trunk mounted battery's thick gauge extended wires I assume. What you are wanting to do is add another auxiliary circuit in the engine bay only. What would work best is to have fuse and relay boxes mounted in your battery tray area (since there is no battery there any longer) to allow the addition of a new foglight circuit in the same way.

I have found that for very tight confines Littelfuse makes some truly excellent OEM quality positive power distribution boxes and relay boxes that you can custom wire for this kind of purpose. Then you just need to make some painted steel brackets to mount them with. I show some of these Littelfuse boxes being put to use in my build thread-- mounting them between the driver's side shock tower and brake booster.

For the switch part of it, as others mentioned several years back you could also pick up a 1995+ SC headlight/highbeam + foglight switch and wire that into the steering column with new terminal wires on the body harness side. Years later I actually have a a 1995+ OEM lighting stalk to do this with but I haven't had time yet to deep dive into its wiring to replace my old DIY foglight switch location (and replace the panel with a new one or rewire that aftermarket switch for a new purpose).

With a trunk relocated battery there is the concern for amperage draw over such a long distance but if you have done that conversion right with SUPER THICK cables from the engine bay back to the trunk area then I think it will be okay.

The foglights themselves don't draw tremendous amounts of current with the standard bulbs. If you have LED bulbs in there then the total current draw will be far less. I'm sorry for not having the current draw numbers handy right now. I think the factory 1995-2000 SC foglight circuit, relay and fuse is designed for 20A of current so that is what I designed mine for on my 1993 model.