SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What would be a fair price to pay for each of these SC400's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 10:21 AM
Dedik8d1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be a fair price to pay for each of these SC400's?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2662769761.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ctd/2670409076.html

They both have low milage..
Old 10-27-11, 10:41 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are both in line with kbb/nada value
Old 10-27-11, 10:50 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Those values are worthless. at 15k(second link) youre closing in on new car territory. Personally I wouldnt pay that much for either seeing as how they arent collector cars. The other reason I say no, is cost of ownership on these cars is no joke. parts add up quick and if you arent doing your own work an sc will lighten your wallet in a hurry. Granted low mileage is a plus, but boy will you be upset when you have to pay $$$ to correct the problems you bought from someone else. You also wont be happy when all the normal failures that occur (seemingly on purpose) start to hit
Old 10-27-11, 11:08 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

^^^actually parts for these sc'es are reasonably cheap compared to other high end models.

I think both of those cars are great ,the 2000 sc400 is extremely rare in fact i think this is the first one ive ever seen for sale.

The low mileage and condition make these cars worth the asking price but I would still not hesitate to throw them a much lower offer.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-11, 12:24 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
Those values are worthless. at 15k(second link) youre closing in on new car territory. Personally I wouldnt pay that much for either seeing as how they arent collector cars. The other reason I say no, is cost of ownership on these cars is no joke. parts add up quick and if you arent doing your own work an sc will lighten your wallet in a hurry. Granted low mileage is a plus, but boy will you be upset when you have to pay $$$ to correct the problems you bought from someone else. You also wont be happy when all the normal failures that occur (seemingly on purpose) start to hit
Give me a break. Just because you can't afford the cost to own an SC doesn't mean that they aren't worth that much. So, a car should depreciate more if its maintenance costs are high? By your logic, a civic should be a high value car.

The fact is - these are two EXTREMELY clean looking, low mileage 98-00 400s. The 2000 especially is up there with a '97 300 5 speed in terms of rarity. I'd say they're worth their value. That being said, don't be afraid to shoot them a lower offer.

Just because YOU bought a piece of **** doesn't mean that these cars aren't valuable.
Old 10-27-11, 06:47 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uhhh what car is 15k brand new??? a base model civic??? OP either of those look sick and if you can spring it go for the 2000 and get an extended warranty.
Old 10-27-11, 09:19 PM
lexiSC4
Driver

I say just get one and enjoy it!!!!
Old 10-27-11, 11:55 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

The black 98' is the one to choose. If I was in the market that would be the one I choose.
Old 10-28-11, 01:06 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

That black one's purdy...
Old 10-28-11, 07:35 AM
PRinC3
Driver School Candidate

what he's actually is trying to say is for 15k he would be in the ball park for a newer model car such as g35/g37 coupe, supra, etc. something more up to date other than a 12 year old car.
Old 10-28-11, 11:09 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd give about 10-11k for the black one and about 13k for the white 2000. Both are relatively rare and desireable, the black for it's interior and color and the 2000 for the MY (it's true, these are really hard to find.)

I would be aware of the repair costs of these cars, but don't let it sway your decision unless it is a definite issue. By that I mean, is this a DD? How long do you want to keep it? Mod it?

Be aware that due to the mileage, both of these guys have a few pricey services coming up (unless they've already been done.) Also, I don't like buying from dealerships- too many fees, but they might have service papers on it. Run the VINs in the Lexus owner's database to check- you will have to create an account, though.
Old 10-28-11, 01:24 PM
JJ823
Driver

Buy one from a member on here instead in the classifieds.
Old 10-28-11, 04:05 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

nope they are both reasonably priced given the mileage and both are 98+ sc400 vvt-i. The black one $10,500 would be a good price and the white one maybe $13,000. I would go for the black b/c its cheaper and has black interior. Also maintenance is actually pretty cheap, and wtf u mean by correcting the problems of someone else the car has 50K its practically a baby. And when you buy a used car, you should do the timing belt and water pump service just in case.
Old 10-28-11, 04:12 PM
fullthrott
Driver School Candidate

Seem like decent prices but Im not one to buy a car for more than 10k.
Old 10-28-11, 06:56 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to have a 2000 SC4

Quick Reply: What would be a fair price to pay for each of these SC400's?