SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Painting car need opinion on color

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-02, 03:43 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to do a repaint but opted not to, and if and when I do, I'm probably going to stick with the same color, black.
man, it's a ***** to take care of!

Anyways, I was going to do a pearl blue painted over black. Someone was saying that combo was the same combo as a special edition Aristo color or some rare color found overseas. I really think that the blue (like in that pic) and darker blues are the best looking colors on the SC. Looks classy and sporty. Good with any color wheel. And a rare enough color that it turns heads.

man... all this talk wants me to change the color of my sc, hehe... i'll wait a month and see what upgrade madmax is talking about first though as for black looking sinister, 3 weeks...

rob3379, are you planning on significant performance mods later? I'd say to go for a sportier red if you were. Them are some sexy *******! But you really can't go wrong, I just saw a '98+ SC400 with that dark red and it looked GREAT.
Old 10-06-02, 01:40 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RSP!

That is the color I am going to do my car this winter hopefully.
Old 10-06-02, 03:02 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Well, of course i'm biased, but I think that Renaissance Red is the perfect colour for these cars. If I had to choose another, it would be RSP, Alpine Silver Met, Millenium Silver Met, Platinum Met, or the Gunmetal colour from the IS, i'm not a big fan of the darker, Garnet shade. Our RX is Millenium and the 'metalflake' is just pefect IMO. Oh, and pcmw, Blk is not easy to shoot, matter of fact it's one of the hardest, plain Refrigerator White is easy as pie...
Attached Thumbnails Painting car need opinion on color-compressed-polished-lips-front.jpg  
Old 10-06-02, 03:03 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

that metallic blue pix is very nice.
here's how i figure it, if you are going to repaint the car, why not paint a color that you never see on the road (non-factory color).
you really stand out and is one of just a few out there.

black is nice but let me tell ya, it's very very time consuming to take care of. i'm a detailing freak for the most part and even w/ all the attention I put on it, it's only clean until you take it out on the road. dents, swirils, scratches ... arg!

if ya thinking about black, i say go w/ the royal sapphire pearl

p.s. lex, ur post beat mine by a sec. I think that red is very nice - especially on '97 and above. I have the '99 brochure, and it shows a ren red sc400 out on the left most lane about to pass a boxster, Z3 and SLK... sweet color.

Last edited by Legends6spd; 10-06-02 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-06-02, 03:10 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Lex Luthor,

I meant...of the blacks...straight black is the easiest. No metallic to mess with, no mixing, no directional issues...etc.

I do like the Graphite colors too... The Mercedes dark gray is very classic.

MW
Old 10-06-02, 03:16 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Oh, I see what you mean, definitely true, and I do love a nice Charcoal colour, we had a 190E in that shade. My mother had one of the first 1st-gen RX7's to roll off the line (she was hip, she also had one of the first Scooby XT Turbos), it was the most perfect Slate Metallic colour i've ever seen, gonna try to find a pic of it to scan in for you pcmw.
Old 10-06-02, 03:56 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Lex,

Didn't Buick paint some 80's muscle car straight black? Hmm.... help me out. What was that car called... Darth Vaders's Coupe.....

My 96 Impala SS came in Black...but I choose the Dark Metallic Red. I liked the color...but Black would have been better.

MW
Old 10-06-02, 04:53 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Ok now I'm confused.... Black? Midnight metallic blue? Royal sapphire pearl? I think silver is going to be too subtle and bland for me, coming from sandstone beige metallic. I need a big, bold, drastic change up. So now it's between the three...
Old 10-06-02, 08:46 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by pcmw
Lex,

Didn't Buick paint some 80's muscle car straight black? Hmm.... help me out. What was that car called... Darth Vaders's Coupe.....
Hehe, just like the Model T, any colour you want, long as it's black. Had one in Black and Silver too, looked nice, but not nearly as sinister. Let's see some pics of that SS, mw. Any mods to the LT1? Anyway, gettin' back on track, i'm thinking RSP Rich, I think it's classy and still a head-turner, at least IMO. VeilsideRSPsc's car was also the Sandstone colour before the change.
Attached Thumbnails Painting car need opinion on color-compressed-gn-motor.jpg  
Old 10-06-02, 09:02 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Hey, there's a pair of Grand Nationals selling at Kassabian Motors for $10k and $14k. One is heavily modded, I'm guessing it's the $14k one. If I had the money, I'd buy one and have the only GN in town!

I was thinking RSP too just because I've never seen one before and neither has anyone else around here. They were made in '97, around the time production of the SC started dropping off so I know they're rare. Plus if Leo comes through with the single turbo kit, I'd have all the show and all the go!

Still though, black is subtle and classy... not too ostentacious, and you get that mirror finish when you cruise the city on Friday night! Midnight metallic has its advantages too. You get a deep blue luster during the day and it looks like it's black at night (just like my car looks silver at night). Ack, decisions...

So the question now remains Royal Sapphire? Jet Black?....
Attached Thumbnails Painting car need opinion on color-1.jpg  

Last edited by lex400sc; 10-06-02 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-06-02, 09:02 PM
rob3379
Driver School Candidate

Oh lord, I didn't think I was gonna get this many posts. My car has Ebiach springs, Tokico struts, TRD sways with poly bushings, Manaflow exhuast, with custom 3" downpipe and dual 3" to mufflers. I have 18x8.5 chrome Bino's. I'm gonna order Turbo as soon as car is out of shop for repair and new paint. That's why I was opting for sportier red. But it is a lexus after all and I think a darker deep red would make it look classier. I love bright red also for the sportiness. I just can't decide.
Old 10-07-02, 05:54 PM
aharper
Driver School Candidate

Something like this?...
What kind of rims are on that midnight blue SC???? I have a Cobalt Met. Blue SC and have been looking at rims for a couple weeks, like those a lot and would like to price them. TIA.