SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc400 is totalled

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-02, 06:49 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry sc400 is totalled

my sc got totalled on fri. night. a plumbing repair van pulled right out in front of me. i was doing 35 and only had about 15 feet to react. smashed in the side of the van. the front of the sc is about a foot shorter now. allstate ins. is having it towed to their total loss yard on mon. some neck and back pain. cuts and bruises on my right arm. left hand is broken in 4 spots. hit it on the steering wheel. i was following my wife and she saw the whole thing. anyway, i probably won't be back for a while until the settlement comes through. hopefully get another sc or an is. safe cars. sc is a tank. thing probably saved my life or stopped me from being injured worse.

good luck all.
Old 10-06-02, 06:53 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that
Old 10-06-02, 06:55 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks big time......sorry for the loss of your SC but what matters is that you shall live another day to own another one. good luck with your recovery and maybe you get a nice chunk of change from the insurance company.

stay up
Old 10-06-02, 07:00 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

i'll get a decent settlement. lawyer came by the house yesterday. kind of a cut and dry case. the other driver was cited for failure to yield. typing with one hand sucks, by the way. i'll take a pic on mon. at allstate.

thanx for the positive words.

Last edited by Vegassc400; 10-06-02 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-06-02, 08:42 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, that's something serious! I'm glad that you're okay and will be reimbursed fully. A 35mph crash is like dropping your car from a four story building! A very forceful impact... I hope you get yourself another SC and stick around. I'd be a shame to see you defect to IS300.net . Leo and MadMax are working on that turbo kit so have faith in the SC400!!
Old 10-06-02, 08:56 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Commiserations on your loss, glad the SC kept you safe to the end, think about that when you are looking for another set of wheels.
Old 10-07-02, 01:00 AM
DIrEctQL

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. Wasn't your SC with a body kit and such? Atleast good thing you're okay and you can always get another car. Imagine, a nice black SC300/SC400!

SCs are actually safer than the IS from what I have seen. It's true that our cars are tanks. Few months ago I have heard a story from local area about a drunk driver in a SC who hit a Cadilac and split it in half. The drunk SC driver walked away while the people from the Cadilac were taken to the hospital. Not a happy story, but it's an example of SC's good design.
Old 10-07-02, 01:03 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I could show you some pictures of SCs and ISes involved in head-on collisions. The SC maintains cabin integrity quite impressively.
Old 10-07-02, 01:09 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Very true.
Couple months ago, I was crusing down the street at 45 and my brake failed. I had to make a hard turn to the right to avoid the cars stopping in front of me at the intersection. I went over the side walk and knocked down a good sized tree. Completely de-rooted it.

Damage?
scratched headlight housing, some cracks on the bumper, slightly ripped lip spolier.

SCs are 3600 pounds of armor
Old 10-07-02, 01:14 AM
DIrEctQL

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by ChronoJ1
Very true.
Couple months ago, I was crusing down the street at 45 and my brake failed. I had to make a hard turn to the right to avoid the cars stopping in front of me at the intersection. I went over the side walk and knocked down a good sized tree. Completely de-rooted it.

Damage?
scratched headlight housing, some cracks on the bumper, slightly ripped lip spolier.

SCs are 3600 pounds of armor
Actually the SC400 is 3600 lbs while the SC300 is 3500 lbs. Some difference there. My mom hit my car few months ago on the side bending the whole bumper on her car while my car had some scratches, but no dents.

Chris
Old 10-07-02, 01:28 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I was driving down the Huntington Beach Promenade at 4AM after partying hard for 40 hours straight, and in the absence of my brain I backed into a security guard who was tailing me the whole time. My rear bumper sustained no damage, but his front bumper was pushed in. He was being a **** about it because of his company policy and whatnot. That's about the only run in I've had in my SC.
Old 10-07-02, 03:21 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry about the loss of your SC, but I'm glad the SC protected you so well, hope everything works out with the settlement

what car do ya plan next?
Old 10-07-02, 10:47 AM
Frankinaustin
Driver

Default sc300 totaled

while I drive an sc400, my good buddy and i went to test drive the worlds most perfect 92 sc300. it had been raining the owner said "take your time..." we went thru a twisty road, lost control, ran off the road and barely missed a tree. we crashed into a bunch of rocks that were about 18" above the ground - totally crunched the underside of the poor car. my ribs were slightly painful from the seat belt, and my buddy who was driving had a fat lip and a little bit of rash on the tip of his nose from the air bag. my bag didn't deploy. this was 2 weeks before my wedding. we were maybe going 45 - 50 when we hit the rocks.

what's suprizing is that 3 seconds before we ran off the raod, i told my buddy that I sure would hate for him to get in over his head, but that it would be great if he ended up owning this bEAUTIFUL blue 92 sc300. I guess God had other plans...

here's the funny part - we tOTALED this car and when the owner came driving up, we were real scared that he was going to go nuts. He didn't, tho. He was actually in pretty good spirits. A few weeks after the accident, the owner called my buddy with the outstanding news that the insurance had settled with him for $3600 more than his asking price.

f
Old 10-07-02, 11:55 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear this

I guess this was a bad week for SC owners here
Old 10-07-02, 02:44 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup! Those cars are built pretty well. I bet your windshield didn't crack either, which is not the case with most cars even with a minor front collision. This is proof that the passenger cabin is not really affected even with a pretty hard hit in the front.

Quick Reply: sc400 is totalled