SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

mods = times

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-02, 09:03 PM
U R 2 Ez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods = times

Hey guys, I'm still pretty new here, and I've tried searching but couldn't find anything. I know there was a thread that to get low 13's/high 12's on a manual sc300 you would need to turbo, but what can you get without a turbo? Are low 14's/high 13's possible without going turbo? If so, what would it take (parts AND cost), and if not, what can be done without going turbo? Thanks guys!
Old 10-07-02, 12:49 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: mods = times

Originally posted by U R 2 Ez
Hey guys, I'm still pretty new here, and I've tried searching but couldn't find anything. I know there was a thread that to get low 13's/high 12's on a manual sc300 you would need to turbo, but what can you get without a turbo? Are low 14's/high 13's possible without going turbo? If so, what would it take (parts AND cost), and if not, what can be done without going turbo? Thanks guys!
The 5 speed manual SC300 has the posibility of running high 14s however, it would need something like 17" rims and good tires. If you want to run 13s without a turbo your best chance is naawwwsssss.
Old 10-07-02, 01:02 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of nitrous would do the trick. Other than that it would take more work and cost more money to build a 13-second car than it's worth doing... complete intake, complete exhaust, chip, port and polish heads, cams, bore and stroke, headers, exhaust, short-shifter, etc...
Old 10-07-02, 01:08 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by lex400sc
Lots of nitrous would do the trick. Other than that it would take more work and cost more money to build a 13-second car than it's worth doing... complete intake, complete exhaust, chip, port and polish heads, cams, bore and stroke, headers, exhaust, short-shifter, etc...
I don't know about the short throw shifter being a performance mod.

Chris
Old 10-07-02, 01:22 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might help with the shifting, I don't know, I've never owned a manual...
Old 10-07-02, 02:37 AM
U R 2 Ez
Driver School Candidate

I'm not talking about low 13's here yet...even a 14.0 I would be happy with (for now). Wheels are actually one of the first things on my mind, simply because I can't stand any of the stock wheels. With that in mind, what am I looking at to run a 14.0 second 1/4 mile? I have heard that exhaust gains almost nothing but a better sound...so what is there that is an actual PERFORMANCE mod? I know the 400 has the TC which yeilds good power, but what is there for the 300? Thanks guys!
Old 10-07-02, 02:59 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

14.0?

intake, exhaust, 100 shot wet kit and MAYBE a upgraded clutch (or a new stock one)...

with that; and some wider stickier tires, you'd be uptown...

I plan on using Falken Azenis tires on my Lex once I get the turbokit thing squared away... I've got 17x8 BBS rims; so I'll prolly strap on some 255s...

the tires are quite sticky and are THE auto-x tire at the moment since they only cost a hair more than the Kumho Ecstas

with those few things; 13.6-13.8 should be doable with a 105-106mph trap I'd think

there's lots of other stuff you can do; but thats pretty much the easiest way for that small of a goal...

I'm fairly confident my car as it sits would hit 14.8-14.9 at around 94mph and all I have is intake and exhaust Now strap on a 100shot of nitrous
or better yet, an upgraded fuel pump and a direct port 150shot

Last edited by Bean; 10-07-02 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-07-02, 07:22 AM
U R 2 Ez
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your replies. So are mid-high 14's the best that can be expected without nitrous or a turbo kit? What about any electronics, such as air/fuel tuning or anything like that? I'm trying to figure out what can realistically be expected with some of the more basic mods. Also, in regards to nitrous, it seems like quite a few of you are running that...have you found that it causes much damage, or are these engines built well enough to withstand a 100 shot without causing any damage (assuming everything is installed and used correctly)?

Last edited by U R 2 Ez; 10-07-02 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-07-02, 08:53 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: mods = times

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
The 5 speed manual SC300 has the posibility of running high 14s however, it would need something like 17" rims and good tires. If you want to run 13s without a turbo your best chance is naawwwsssss.
Out of curiosity, why do you think 17" rims would help?

-Ethan
Old 10-07-02, 10:01 AM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Re: Re: mods = times

Originally posted by Ebanks

-Ethan
Because 16" rims with lower profile tires makes a nasty looking SC that's bad karma for all of us other SC owners.

Chris
Old 10-07-02, 05:51 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: mods = times

-Ethan
Cause look at chris's avatar!!!!

im just playing!

Kevin
Old 10-07-02, 06:30 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: mods = times

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Because 16" rims with lower profile tires makes a nasty looking SC that's bad karma for all of us other SC owners.

Chris
Oh, I thought your post was implying that 17" rims would help him run a 14.

-Ethan
Old 10-07-02, 08:43 PM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: mods = times

Oh, I thought your post was implying that 17" rims would help him run a 14.

-Ethan
When I have replaced my stock 16" rims with doughnat tires they were almost identical diameter as the 17" rims with 40 profile tires I was putting on. I do also belive that getting too wide of a tire will slow you down. I had 285s as the begining. While they looked good they actually slowed my car down. 255s so far perform fine.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-07-02 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 05:57 AM
U R 2 Ez
Driver School Candidate

Well I don't know what the weight or the width is of the stock rims...but I could see that some nice aftermarket wheels could give you some lighter rotating weight mixed with a lot better traction could lower the 1/4 mile time...but that of course is dependant upon what the stock rims are like. All I know about the stock rims is they look like crap (in my opinion). Come on guys...what is there to do aside from an intake and an exhaust, but without going to turbo or nitrous?
Old 10-08-02, 11:44 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by U R 2 Ez
Well I don't know what the weight or the width is of the stock rims...but I could see that some nice aftermarket wheels could give you some lighter rotating weight mixed with a lot better traction could lower the 1/4 mile time...but that of course is dependant upon what the stock rims are like. All I know about the stock rims is they look like crap (in my opinion). Come on guys...what is there to do aside from an intake and an exhaust, but without going to turbo or nitrous?
Take off the stock belt-driven fan and replace it with eletric fans. Should be good for upto 15 hp. Get S-AFC installed... that's usually a good horsepower adder too althrough the outcome hp varies.

Chris

Quick Reply: mods = times