SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wreck / insurance issue; what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 10:21 PM
atx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wreck / insurance issue; what should I do?

My '98 SC400 was hit by a 4runner on Halloween, parked outside my house on the street.

Wreck / insurance issue; what should I do?-mb8tl.jpg

Wreck / insurance issue; what should I do?-kjoii.jpg

~7 months ago, I spent $1000 on the 90k service and some other miscellaneous fixes

~5 months ago, I spent $2200 on a stereo upgrade (HU, Focal speakers all around, a Focal sub, and Alpine amp).

~2 months ago I bought brand new Michelins for $750.

All State (perpetrator's insurance... it was some 17 year old girl) claims the frame is bent, every front-end piece would need to be replaced, and totaled the car. They only offered me $8300, which doesn't seem like it's enough to buy me a comparable BASE replacement (only had 105k miles), let alone cover any of the money I forked out this year.

They haven't picked up the car from the body shop, yet, so what are my options? I don't know if I'll be able to procure some stock speakers in time (so the body shop could swap everything out), as the car is set to be picked up on Monday (I haven't technically authorized release), but I really don't want to take a huge loss on this. To make matters worse, my rental car runs out TOMORROW, just a day after they notified me of the loss (Thanks, Texas law!).

Any recommendations?
Old 11-03-11, 10:29 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Did you explain to them the money you put into your car. Did you show them reciepts on it. If so they may reimburse you for some of it. I don't think they will do anything for the stereo but thats not that big of a deal. I am located in Austin too. Just FYI. Tell them you want to buy it back and take the rest of the money and buy another SC if you want. That could work out in your benefit. Anyway just my 2 cents
Old 11-04-11, 06:23 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

listen man, not trying to get on anyones bad side here but, u gotta cut ur losses... the price they offered seems very fair. what u put into ur car u never get back. UNLESS u have added insurance for the extras. most of the time that insurance cost more a year then ur actuall equipment. take a loss and walk away from this. with the right amount of patience u will find the right car with that amount of money. gl
Old 11-04-11, 06:35 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove the audio equipment and take the 8300! It's sad to say but your better off finding another clean car.
Old 11-04-11, 07:13 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$8,300!!! Take that ASAP and never look back. Most of us have a hard time selling our cars for $4k with similar mileage.
Old 11-04-11, 07:20 AM
PRinC3
Driver School Candidate

ayo please take that bread asap, and i guarantee you will find another SC that's twice as good. i wish i was in your situation right about now lol.
Old 11-04-11, 08:17 AM
atx
Rookie

Thanks guys. I'm scrambling to get stock equip in Texas so I can get the body shop to swap everything out. Might end up driving around the state to make this happen!
Old 11-04-11, 08:36 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you should take the 8300 and keep moving lol, it's good money specially now days in this retarded economy lol take it.

remove the Stereo and reinstall the one back in there.
gl
Old 11-04-11, 08:40 AM
atx
Rookie

That's what I'm going to try to do. Problem is my stock system is GONE, so I'm working to assemble one from junkyards / sellers around Austin / Houston.

My car originally had a Nakamichi setup, but does anyone know if I can just buy Pioneer HU, speakers, and Amp and throw them in? Will the Nakamichi amp plug work with the Pioneer amp? I think I'm just going to leave out the sub.
Old 11-04-11, 08:43 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

dude ur over thinking this... the insurance does not check that... just put any radio in that spot it doesnt even need to work... as for speakers they arent gunna open the door panels to check...
Old 11-04-11, 08:59 AM
atx
Rookie

Really? OK, didn't want to get the body shop in trouble since the car has already been inspected. I'm going to have to drive to Houston to pick up the HU anyway, so I might as well grab the door speakers. I'll leave out the amp / rear deck / sub.
Old 11-04-11, 09:09 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cmh
dude ur over thinking this... the insurance does not check that... just put any radio in that spot it doesnt even need to work... as for speakers they arent gunna open the door panels to check...
What he said. but also buy it back and part the hell out of it for maximum slam dunkage
Old 11-04-11, 09:20 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

8k is amazing - you won't get back what you put into a car, ever, unless you insure it extra for each added item (i.e. pay more monthly).
Old 11-04-11, 09:48 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sucks to see a nice car totalled. did you just pm me on ebay regarding the amplifier? i still have the speakers from my blue sc (not on ebay) if you would like to buy them when youre coming down to houston. i can remove them this weekend. insurance adjuster will likely not check for speakers or things that are hidden, but if you want/need them lmk.

Last edited by Kohinoor; 11-04-11 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-04-11, 10:38 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greens14
What he said. but also buy it back and part the hell out of it for maximum slam dunkage
Agreed, I'd find out how much is buy back, I'd assume somewhere in the 2K range for buy back though.

So 6300 in pocket, and whatever else you can part the car means extra dough, then once you're done partin' it out, send it off to the yard for another few hundred

Quick Reply: Wreck / insurance issue; what should I do?