SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cornering light to fog light conversion 99% complete:)!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 05:18 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cornering light to fog light conversion 99% complete:)!

Finally.....Ive been working on this for 6-7 hours today-tells you what a fool I am lol.
I used lex400sc's idea of doing it with a relay, big props to him.
One important note which is what threw me off....in his tutorial he mentioned the white wire as the power wire. That is not the case on my 93 SC400 at least....and I assume same goes for 92 and 94.
From each cornering light there is a white wire and a reddish wire. The reddish wire is the power, the white is the ground.
I wired mine so they turn on with the headlights, not the sidemarkers or parking lights. If you do it that way.....the headlights also have 2 wires....one white and one reddish. Again...reddish one is power, white one is ground for the low beams too.
I strongly recommend using ttaps.....yet another reason that Im so far behind. I basically right now have both wires for each cornering light and 1 wire from the low beam cut off and need to rewire them which wont be easy, because there is no extra room really with those wires. Once you cut them, I suggest you connect another few inches of wire onto them so you have some play and room to work with.
Thats really it. You need like he said.....a 30 amp auto relay, 4 prongs. You can get that at an auto parts store. You need female and male connectors to do your wiring-auto parts store. Electrical tape-auto parts store. Inline fuse holder along with 30amp cylinder fuse inside....auto parts store. 10-15 feet of 12 gauge wire....although it was hard because the stock wire is a lot smaller and thus hard to twist around the 12 gauge....not sure if the wire should be bigger for a purpose. Total cost of all these parts is like 5.00 for inline fuse and holder....3.00 for connectors....1.00 for tape....6.00 for relay....I did go to Radio Shack like lex suggested, they had the auto relay....but the 30 amp fuses they dont have I dont think.
Old 10-07-02, 05:20 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, I know nothing about electronics. Lex's instructions walked me right through it. So even the novice can do this, you just need time and patience and make sure you do everything solidly and completely, after all it is a LEXUS
Old 10-07-02, 05:35 PM
aharper
Driver School Candidate

link?

I wired mine improperly... straight to the headlights. I didn't realize it would cause a big problem until I started reading this site. Send me the link so I can fix mine too!!! Thanks.
Old 10-07-02, 06:02 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Lex400sc...actually if you read this I do have one question.
Is there a reason to specifically use 12 gauge wire? Id actually rather use 1 size smaller if possible to make connecting everything easier......
Heres the link to his original post up
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=basic+relay
Old 10-09-02, 01:12 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Where's the link to removing the bonnet? I saw it once but can't find it anymore. =(
Old 10-22-02, 09:02 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought all the stuff I needed to wire my fogs yesterday, and I finished installing them today like in..3 hrs.

My hands are all scratched up. I had to stick my hands into the air dam and push the wire up to the hood and tap them.

Looks cool tho. I'll post pics as soon as I get the yellow bulbs shipped.
Old 11-19-03, 11:35 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tried test fitting in the fog lights, and I'm having a serious problem.
The driver's side fog won't go all the way in because there's this metal tube blocking it. THere are two tubest that goes vertically. Anybody came across this problem when doing the conversion?

ps: It looks like an oil cooler. It's got a mini radiator attached to it. Not sure. Does our car come with it at all? I doubt that the previous owner might have installed one.

Last edited by ChronoJ1; 11-19-03 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 05:51 PM
scsrock
Pole Position

Default Help!

I am strugling with this cornoring light too. Is there any shop that can take care of this issue? Also, the rear lights. My 94 SC300 only has two rear lights (one on each side) that light up when I turn on the headlight. I like to have all the rear lights to light up just like when we hit brake. I checked the rear light and there's only 1 wire available one each side (hence 1 default light). So, I intend to use 1 brake light on each side for an additional rear light. Can we connect additional wires to that same rear wire to light up at at least one additional brake light (and then cut one of the brake wires)? Would the light indicator notice a bad brake light in this case? Would the fuse break?
Old 11-19-03, 10:49 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChronoJ1
The driver's side fog won't go all the way in because there's this metal tube blocking it. THere are two tubest that goes vertically. Anybody came across this problem when doing the conversion?

ps: It looks like an oil cooler. It's got a mini radiator attached to it. Not sure. Does our car come with it at all? I doubt that the previous owner might have installed one.
I guess nobody knows. I'll take picture tomorrow and make another thread.
Old 11-19-03, 11:54 PM
themustafa
Rookie

Default Re: Help!

Originally posted by scsrock
I am strugling with this cornoring light too. Is there any shop that can take care of this issue? Also, the rear lights. My 94 SC300 only has two rear lights (one on each side) that light up when I turn on the headlight. I like to have all the rear lights to light up just like when we hit brake. I checked the rear light and there's only 1 wire available one each side (hence 1 default light). So, I intend to use 1 brake light on each side for an additional rear light. Can we connect additional wires to that same rear wire to light up at at least one additional brake light (and then cut one of the brake wires)? Would the light indicator notice a bad brake light in this case? Would the fuse break?
i was thinking about doing the same thing with the rear lights - anyone know anything about this?
Old 11-20-03, 12:20 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ChronoJ1

Are you putting a 95-96 foglight into a 92-94 car? I don't think that'll work because the contour is slightly different between the two bumpers (and the cornering light and fog lights are completely different). It's probably the backing of the foglight housing hitting the opening on the bumper.
Old 11-20-03, 12:33 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Cornering light to fog light conversion 99% complete:)!

Originally posted by mjr24
One important note which is what threw me off....in his tutorial he mentioned the white wire as the power wire. That is not the case on my 93 SC400 at least....and I assume same goes for 92 and 94.
From each cornering light there is a white wire and a reddish wire. The reddish wire is the power, the white is the ground.
Oops! Huge mistake I fixed it on my site: http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#091
Old 11-20-03, 12:39 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mjr24
Lex400sc...actually if you read this I do have one question.
Is there a reason to specifically use 12 gauge wire? Id actually rather use 1 size smaller if possible to make connecting everything easier......
Heres the link to his original post up
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=basic+relay
No reason in particular. I used 12-awg because I have a 50-ft reel of it laying around, plus I have a '95 and there was some screwy circuitry that killed my OEM foglights. So I was wiring the relay on a 55w circuit, whereas I believe you are on a 15w circuit. Right now I'm using 85w bulbs so I figured I'm going to need about 12-awg wire. I'm sure 14-awg would work too, and you could probably get away with 16-18-awg.
Old 11-20-03, 01:33 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lex400sc
Are you putting a 95-96 foglight into a 92-94 car? I don't think that'll work because the contour is slightly different between the two bumpers (and the cornering light and fog lights are completely different). It's probably the backing of the foglight housing hitting the opening on the bumper.
No I have a 94 Sc400 with Jic body kit. I tried fitting in the 97+ foglight to the driver's side, but the upper rear part of the fog housing is blocked by the tube mentioned above.