SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

price check on 97 sc300

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 10:56 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matrixgts
I have a 97sc300 that i bought about 3.5 yrs ago and paid less than 7500 for it and the economy was a little better back then.
Is it a 5 speed with no sunroof 1 owner?
Old 11-15-11, 11:17 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Sell it for no less than $10K. Why? #1 It's a 1997 so it has the updated exterior, #2 It's a 5 speed which is rare in 1997, #3 It's a hardtop, extremely rare and some people want a hardtop for some reason. #4 It's a unique color, not white, or black like most SCs. #5 It's being sold by original owner with all dealer maintenance records.
Old 11-15-11, 01:04 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its mint I'd say around 7k as that's how much 97 manuals are going for. Any higher and you're into GTE territory. Selling it here will be the only way to get the most out of it because everyone else will just see it as an old green Lexus.
Old 11-15-11, 01:14 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i need to remind myself to not sell my daily sc here.. lowballers like whoa. this car is an easy sell at $9k IMO. list for $10k and negotiate from there.
Old 11-15-11, 02:12 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxor
Sell it for no less than $10K. Why? #1 It's a 1997 so it has the updated exterior, #2 It's a 5 speed which is rare in 1997, #3 It's a hardtop, extremely rare and some people want a hardtop for some reason. #4 It's a unique color, not white, or black like most SCs. #5 It's being sold by original owner with all dealer maintenance records.
Originally Posted by Kohinoor
i need to remind myself to not sell my daily sc here.. lowballers like whoa. this car is an easy sell at $9k IMO. list for $10k and negotiate from there.
The car is valuable, you have everything that a potential buyer needs to see here. 1 owner, all dealer and maintenance records, it's a 97 in a rare color, hard top, and low mileage. Everyone in this forum will low ball the hell out of you, try searching for a clean 5 speed on autotrader and search any distance and see what you find.
Old 11-15-11, 02:44 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Midengtoy
If its mint I'd say around 7k as that's how much 97 manuals are going for. Any higher and you're into GTE territory. Selling it here will be the only way to get the most out of it because everyone else will just see it as an old green Lexus.
The swap argument is not in the same category. i would rather own a all stock well maintained car than a who knows what swapped car.... that swapped car probably had 5 owners, beat on motor etc etc.... there's no telling, And if you want something that was a well maintained and is a swapped car that's in great condition with paper work from legit shops and all other proof basically you are sure going to pay more than 13-14k for a nice/legit swapped SC.

I'm saying 8.5k+ only because of the economy and the market that SC's are sold to now
Old 11-15-11, 09:05 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iridebmx
The swap argument is not in the same category. i would rather own a all stock well maintained car than a who knows what swapped car.... that swapped car probably had 5 owners, beat on motor etc etc.... there's no telling, And if you want something that was a well maintained and is a swapped car that's in great condition with paper work from legit shops and all other proof basically you are sure going to pay more than 13-14k for a nice/legit swapped SC.

I'm saying 8.5k+ only because of the economy and the market that SC's are sold to now
In the end they all run the same if their in the same condition so 1 owner or not it doesn't matter to me as long as the car is clean and runs good. I'd rather have a more fun to drive gte SC than an all stock 1 owner SC for that price. I guess you'll get many mixed reviews here and that's why you sell it here on this forum to the guy who wants to pay 10k for it because anywhere else and you wont come close to that. IMO 10k I'd just get me a NA Supra with 5 previous owners.
Old 11-15-11, 09:16 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMJoe239
like i said before it depends on where you live. like here 10k sounds about right but where you live that might be unreasonable. seeing as your in canada id get a much better car for 10k. like how much would it cost to get a legit soarer in canada? imported and everything since canada is awesome and you can own 15 year old imports rather than 25 in the fascist states of america.
A Soarer? About 4-5k on the road. With <75k miles on it...

Originally Posted by BenStoked
yes, for 10k, you can buy a newer civic.
or you can buy a lightly used lexus.
econobox, or luxury coupe... econobox.... or luxury coupe....
hmmm.....
yeah, your right, the civic sounds like such a comfortable car to drive
You've got to be a dummy to drop 10k on an old SC.

~10k gets you a 01+ GS300/400 on this forum, a few of which are an SD <- rare. Why in the hell anyone would want a 15 year old car at 10k is beyond me - but hey, a sucker is born every minute. I've seen multiple people acutally make stupid buys like this.
Old 11-15-11, 10:04 PM
AutoMotO-9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and depending on your knowledge base of the vehicle and what you want to get out of it, the pricing opinion will vary. I have a 97 blk/blk w/ 180k miles on it and and was offered $10k for it this past spring. Granted, like many enthusiast, the offer was from someone who knew the rarity of the vehicle and had a very clear direction in which he wanted to build the car. On the flip side, I asked the dealership what they would take for my car and they basically were offering me a two Twinkies and cup of coffee.

A general consumer will look into those value points: one owner, external/internal maintenance, and maybe even trustworthiness of you/your mom; all of which will help them in determining the reliability of the car. Enthusiasts on the other hand have greater knowledge of your vehicle and are more likely to disregard general value points, thus the increase in potential sale value.

Either way, you have one of the rarest of SCs out there, aside from the blue ones that pop up every once in a while.

As stated earlier, the value of the car is based on what the customer is willing to spend. Pull the right emotional strings and you can sell ice to an Eskimo.
Old 11-16-11, 06:39 AM
5spd97
Pit Crew

I'd pay 10k just based on your description......and I already have one just like it. The naysayers can whine and ***** all they want, but as time passes there will be one SC that stands above the rest in desirability, and it will be the rarest of them all, the 97 hardtop 5speed.
Old 11-16-11, 06:48 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
A Soarer? About 4-5k on the road. With <75k miles on it...

You've got to be a dummy to drop 10k on an old SC.

~10k gets you a 01+ GS300/400 on this forum, a few of which are an SD <- rare. Why in the hell anyone would want a 15 year old car at 10k is beyond me - but hey, a sucker is born every minute. I've seen multiple people acutally make stupid buys like this.
yes, you can get a GS for that... but a GS isn't really a very desirable coupe with a 5-speed, now is it...
for around the same price range, I can also get a run of the mill g35 sedan/coupe with 6-speed, if I look around.
One has to be a dummy to not recognize what this car is (presuming OP is being accurate with the description).

Next time I see a thread *****ing about how worthless sc's are, I am going to remind people that the sc community is doing it to themselves with this crap lowballing that's being done in this thread.
Old 11-16-11, 07:17 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ don't blame the people, blame the liberal capitalist market. Things are worth what people are willing to pay.

Funny you try and call out lowballers, yet the people with these 10g's of sought after racecars buy used parts instead of going to the dealer. Might as well call you a dealership frowning upon people not dumb enough to pay a premium for soemthing that can be has for less than half of a new item.

No one is going to settle this debate, so deal with it and try not to lose sleep over it.

An aristo-spec built gs would be more unique and south after than an Sc pushing 15years. Get a front clip from Japan for 4k

Don't get me wrong I like SC'a but not at the 10k price point. I'd get a soarer with half the mileage for half the price before I'd buy a stock one. But that's just me.
Old 11-16-11, 08:20 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

The average consumer would look at the car and say cool a 1 owner Lexus but it's a manual and no sunroof? I'd pay KBB at most. I would never pay 10k for this but someone please do so you can bring the value of our cars back up. Oh don't forget when you post your car for sale to put another picture of a fully modded SC to show it's potential. It'll help justify 10k. LOL!
Old 11-16-11, 10:46 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

haters gunna hate...

most ppl wouldnt pay that much cuz they dont have the money.

go run ur arguments to the supra guys... i mean thats so stupid right? who pays 25-30k for a car thats almost 20 years old... there must be lots and lots of dumb ppl in the world.

if there were more ppl with that mentality i would go broke. im selling a plymouth prowler for 25k but i guess its not gunna sell because u can buy a kia for that price fully loaded.

rarity is everything to me... good luck selling ur kias, hyundais, hondas etc. for eighteen dollars in a few months.
Old 11-16-11, 04:19 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sj408
Is it a 5 speed with no sunroof 1 owner?
Not a 5speed and has sunroof.2 owners.

Quick Reply: price check on 97 sc300