SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Car Audio? Why few have it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 01:02 PM
projectsc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they in SCs??? I have only seen Jon's and I think one or 2 others.

Yeah I feel that it adds to the pleasure of driving too. Its a necessisity(sp?) for me. Even though I am quite impressed with the 2002 Olds Aurora Bose system. My dad just got one with every option and no one can believe its an Olds. I even at one time was thinking of getting one but there is no aftermarket support and its auto...

Originally posted by Emerald
There are LOts of members here with aftermarket systems.
I think it (After market systems) adds to the pleasure of driving.
Old 10-09-02, 01:09 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I agree do-luck

Lex's trunk is phat. Mine is still work in progress. The sub box and all hardware is mounted and functional. I just gotta cover my fairings with vinyl and put them in to seal and hide everything. I will post pics as soon as I do this ( maybe next week, I already built them,... just been lazy and haven't covered and installed ). I might redesign them too,... so we'll see.

I might still have some bmp's of my box design, being i did it in autodesk inventor. (solid model fully assembled ).
Old 10-09-02, 01:17 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Default Fast & Furious

In the movie.... since it is the documentary of the custom import race world,... did they not all have some aftermarket good ***** in their cars or what,... one dude was practicin' his race technique on playstation ( a lil more than I'd do, but you can't do that with stock hd unit ), Alpine equipment everywhere,....

HIGH POWERED SYSTEMS ARE A MUST FOR HIGH POWERED CARS!!
HIGH POWERED SYSTEMS ARE A MUST FOR HIGH DOLLAR CARS!!!

since my imagination was questioned a lil earlier,... here is my last system from my Z.
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio? Why few have it?-amp-rack-and-subs.jpg  
Old 10-09-02, 01:19 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Default a supra I did for my homeboy,...

he wanted use of his trunk for his targa top, and wanted bang.
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio? Why few have it?-finished-box.jpg  
Old 10-09-02, 01:19 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Default functionality view...

here's another angle.
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio? Why few have it?-completed-box-with-top-in.jpg  
Old 10-09-02, 01:23 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Default not visible with top in or cover extended...

this is just to show,... infinite possibilities when brain power applied. I designed and built these boxes after giving some thought,... of course 12's weren't gonna work here, but I chose equipment that would.
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio? Why few have it?-side-view-of-top-in.jpg  
Old 10-09-02, 02:17 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: IMO.... stock anything is junk...

Originally posted by NAZTY97
First off,...gettin' bad azz amp's are only gonna amplify the garbage or quality put into them, so keeping the factory head unit is gonna get you the same quality you currently have.
This is not a flame, but have you ever spec'd out a factory head unit? The factory units are quite nice for an OEM unit. I have seen SEVERAL Lexus SC's at IASCA sound off's(East Coast Nationals - Daytona), and guess what, all but one of them had the stock head unit. The weakest link in our systems is the speakers - They are flat cr@p. Period, end of story. The amps are decent (wait a minute, not really), but waaaaay under powered.

If you want to keep a nice system and keep it stealth. Upgrade the speakers to a nice set (I personally like Boston Acoustic Pro's). Then get a nicely powered clean amp to run the mids and highs, and get a seperate amp for the sub. Depending on how you like your sound, there are different subs for different tastes. The headunit has low level outs, so just tap into them and make your own RCA connectors (make sure you ground everything properly).

The factory head unit puts out some clean signals, its just you are limited to lame bells and whistles (no features). I saw a factory head unit pump out in the 148 dB range before, and place in a National car audio competition, so don't knock it if you haven't tied it.

Keith
Old 10-09-02, 07:31 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith is right, the Nak unit is pretty clean, the amps are relatively clean but underpowered, and the oe paper cone 4's are absolute garbage. That Nak receiver is not incredibly clean though, not as clean as, say, Nakamichi's aftermarket unit, and my experience tells me that if every SC you saw at an IASCA event had the oe head except for one, are you sure that you weren't seeing aftermarket units that had been grafted to the oe faceplate? Not at all to question you Keith, I know you know your *****, but if it were me that's exactly what I would do with the Nak.
do-luck and NAZTY, thanks, that install took me a full month, but i'm very tired of it now, what 'till you see what I come up with for Luthor v2.0 (mega watts, mega horsepower, mega comfort, lots of exotic and super lightweight materials, everything is still in the design stages). Project, I don't really go to shows anymore, haven't the time, but i've got some of pics of installs in SC's, but can't compress them right now, if you e-mail me to remind me, i'll try to send them to you when I get a chance. Oh, and NAZTY, that kid playing GT2 was RJ DeVera, he's got more cheese than Kraft.... Speaking of which, today on Sunrise Hwy I was in my SC toying around with a late 70's 911 SC, thing ran like crap, too rich and he had no top end, but he looked over and saw my buddy was in the pass seat playing Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero, and had such a Cool Aid smile he was so amused......

- Jon
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio? Why few have it?-compressed-alpine-cva-soarer-on-screen.jpg  

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-09-02 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-09-02, 07:37 PM
projectsc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jon, I appreciate it. Can't wait to see V2.0. I don't even have my SC yet and I'm making plans for it. Still a little unsure for audio since I haven't seen any quality pictures of the stock trunk and I was going to use 3 way seperates but since as mentioned before there really isn'y enough room, I'm not sure which speakers I'm going to go with now. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-02, 10:02 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: stock hi end performance???

Originally posted by NAZTY97

FRESH CAR, FRESH RIMS/TIRES, FRESH SOUNDS, TIGHT PERFORMACE,... the one who achieves all has arrived. Not 50%, 30% or even 70.... All show no go is not good, and all go, no show, not necessarily worthy either.
That would be expensive wouldn't it? Also how fast could you go if you had all that crap in your car anyways!!!

Lex, what do you think?
Old 10-09-02, 10:24 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

All I have to say is that this is one of the hardest hitting systems I've ever heard in my life. I heard it from across the car lot at Carson Toyota and was expecting to find a GS430 in the middle of the crowd, but low and behold. This thing rocks the ground....
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio? Why few have it?-3jl-12w7.jpg  
Old 10-09-02, 10:25 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

This is the Mobile Fantasy SC400 BTW...
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio? Why few have it?-961sc400-3-med.jpg  

Last edited by lex400sc; 10-09-02 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-09-02, 10:35 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

That's rthammar's car, right? TM, why can't someone just build a single-digit SC with a state of the art multimedia install, now is that so hard?
- JonJon
Old 10-10-02, 08:55 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jon (Lex),

Yes, the Oe units were the original. I spoke to two of the guys (at different events) and ironically, they both gave me the same answer- After installing an aftermarket system, they lost points for the install because its a royal ****** to match the factory curves on the headunit, so they reinstalled the stock headunit, but adapted over to a better CD changer. That way they didn't lose points for the appearance, plus added points for creativity ???? utilizing the factory unit??,I dunno, but they had the better CD player for sound quality. Anyway, this was back in the late 90's.

Reguardless, I'm still swapping out my headunit, got a nice Alpine unit. I need some nicer looking displays, plus some better options. Plus its been years since I entered competitions, so I need a little fix-

For what it's worth, I was the IASCA East Coast Champion 89'-91' in the Consumer 1001+ watt class (placed 1st, 2nd, and 1st respectively through those years). Plus numerous local ***** that I'm too lazy to mention. Ahhhh the good old days, but now, no sponsor! Oh well, it will be fun trying to do it on a budget.

I still attend the events every once in a while, but I've since lost all my contacts there, but I still want to get back into the scene.

Later,
Keith

P.S. 153.1 dB out of a 89 RX-7 wasn't too bad!
Old 10-10-02, 10:58 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys, those installs look sweet. Since you were talking about keeping the headunit and swapping out amp/speakers I wanted to ask what's involved with that.

I have swapped out speakers in other cars but haven't had to deal with an amp before. Is there one that works best with '92-'97 Lexus models with the Nak headunit? Am I looking at re-wiring a lot of stuff? Obviously I have a lot to learn. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Car Audio? Why few have it?