SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Car Audio? Why few have it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-02, 01:43 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich, verrry nice recovery...
tarq, maintenance with 186k on the car is very easy, if it's a maintenance related part and it hasn't been changed, change it! Seriously, I have a list I made for a couple ppl of things to check on the SC, e-mail me and i'll send it to you.
Old 10-11-02, 02:20 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the photo gallery for pics of my Mutimedia system.
Old 10-11-02, 04:21 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Tarq3, I'd put the 6.5s in the front because they are generally the most critical, discerning speakers. Rears are mainly used for rear fill sound. You want all the midrange sound you can get in the front where the soundstage is created .
Old 10-12-02, 07:16 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info guys...I think I'm just going to do 4" in the back...who cares about the rear...like Lex400SC said, it's just fill...

Now finding good 4" fronts that will mount in the stock location...what's the deepest I could go up front? 2"?
Old 10-12-02, 07:44 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I plan to do a 5.1 chan setup next, so i'll need separates in the rear as well, probably 6.5's to fill in the midbass a bit...
Old 10-12-02, 07:51 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Lex, where are you putting the center channel? Inside the console where the mesh screen is?
Old 10-12-02, 10:06 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Ouch, not mesh screen, custom piece of carbon fibre . And no, a couple of 60mm meters are going there along with the display for the DSP if i can fit it, center chan will most likely be built out of the cupholder (the one behind the shifter) if I can get decent imaging from there, otherwise i'll do something on top of the dash that's discreet and unobtrusive.
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio? Why few have it?-compressed-alpine-cva-1005-and-dsp-control-in-glovebox.jpg  
Old 10-12-02, 11:51 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
Tarq3, I'd put the 6.5s in the front because they are generally the most critical, discerning speakers. Rears are mainly used for rear fill sound. You want all the midrange sound you can get in the front where the soundstage is created .
How do you get a good front stage in a Soarer/SC? I heard that it's hard to get good imaging up front, and if not imaged properly, the rear fill can easily kill the front stage sound? Are there any tips for getting a good front stage?
Old 10-13-02, 07:07 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Update! lex400sc, my birthday is coming up soon, so I went with Deb to go look at what toys I might want, she offered to buy me the Alpine PXA-H510 Dolby 5.1 Decoder/DSP Processor/Parametric, so we're ordering it tomorrow (not a cheap gift), so I guess i'll have to sort out a center channel sooner than I thought, but i'm thinking I won't even install it, i'll yank everything out of the SC and put it all back in the boxes, and wait to install everything in Luthor v2.0, i'd really like to put all the stock equipment back in, in case someone makes me a reasonable offer on the car. Alpine makes a nice-looking ctr chan setup, but I haven't heard it yet, i'll probably order it and see what I can do to image it properly. Right now i'm not much into spending money on something that doesn't produce more hp, already dumped several grand into this install, but Dolby Digital in the whip is just too hard to resist, did you know they made **** in 5.1 now?

P.S. - birthday contributions in the form of gift cerfificates to Scores are welcome and appreciated, lex400sc sent me Grape edible underwear last year, but it had a bite taken out of it
:eek:

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-13-02 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-13-02, 08:59 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Dolby digital ****!!!!!!! Oh yeah. What's up Lex????
Fixing to put an order in on a G35 Coupe!!!! Fianlly something
with a little speed.

S
Old 10-14-02, 12:46 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Suuup, big Shane, how u livin'? How's the fam? G35, sounds great, what colour where you thinking? Armadillokiller v2.0 ! Hope you're keeping the SC brother. Yeah, with the 5.1 ****, it's nice, different, uh, camera angles, and, ummm, alternate scripts . Back to audio, did you put the new Focals into the SC, and if so, how did you like them? I'm thinking the Alpine 0715 ctr chan might just fit into the cup holder, time to start taking measurements...
Hey, do you think there's enough airspace in the spare tyre well to 'glass up an enclosure for two 12's with small requirements, in other words about 1.5 cu. ft. ? Anyone filled that bad boy up with some water and measured it?
Old 10-14-02, 02:01 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
P.S. - birthday contributions in the form of gift cerfificates to Scores are welcome and appreciated, lex400sc sent me Grape edible underwear last year, but it had a bite taken out of it
Oh, you wanted those VIP passes to Scores??? Sorry about that Lex... Bambi and I broke some rules in the champagne lounge last year, but I'll make sure the unmentionables stay out of her mouth this time around. Guess I'll have to sub out the drawers for something else.... question is, what? :eek:
Old 10-14-02, 11:45 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll probably have to raise the floor a couple of inches, but it will work. The SC is going by by. I may hold on to it for a little while. You'll probably see it in the classified section. Someone is going to get a really nice car one of these days. Don't know how much time I spent on the stereo alone. Focals sound fantastic, I really need to post pics. The back deck looks great and the DYN
12 sounds incredible. I've been looking for a new car for a while now and the G35 for the money looks to be the best buy. Need the bask seat for the kiddos. Drove one this weekend. I think that 270HP figure is a little underated. It would eat my SC for lunch. Keep me posted.

S
Old 10-14-02, 12:16 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Lex,

Two 12's should fit nicely in the spare well. I glassed up less than half of it for a 12 and it sounds excellent. VERY loud and hits sharp. I am thinking of glassing the other side for a storage bin. I set the trunk up so that the spare can still slide in vertically on long trips.

MW
Old 12-02-02, 04:07 PM
SMARK
Driver

Default Re: Car Audio? Why few have it?

Originally posted by projectsc
Hey guys I was wondering, why are there very few highly upgraded SC3/400 sound systems?
IMHO - unless the original system has malfunctioned and can't be repaired, there isn't a good reason to replace it.

Most of the "upgrades" I have seen look like they're in "pimpmobiles" or "lowriders." They usually ruin the sleek, classic good looks of the OEM installation.

As for sound, most upgrades do little more than generate sound levels that are absolutely deafening or simply make an annoying “boom-boom-boom” sound that can be heard in another car or inside a house.

Quick Reply: Car Audio? Why few have it?