SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Car Audio? Why few have it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 10:30 AM
projectsc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Audio? Why few have it?

Hey guys I was wondering, why are there very few highly upgraded SC3/400 sound systems? I remember when I use to be big into car audio I never saw a SC in the magazines not even when they were showing pics from shows. I remember seeing a few GS's, ES's, and I think a LS or too, but no SCs. Is there something difficult about getting great sound from the SC? One of the reasons why I want to get the SC is that no one has a modified SC where I live(atleast I haven't see) and I was wondering if there was anything wrong with their stereo setup?
Thanks inadvance.
Old 10-09-02, 10:48 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

small trunk
Old 10-09-02, 11:15 AM
95SC400
Rookie

I think the #1 reason SC owners don't upgrade is because aftermarket head units are cheese.

But I would like a new set of speakers and maybe a new amp if I could keep the stock look in the cabin.

Just my POV.
Old 10-09-02, 11:27 AM
tarq3
Driver

I agree keep stock head unit and just redo the speakers and amp. There are even a few good aftermarket 10" free air subs so you don't have to rip the car up. I am in the process of starting that now. So fare have only picked out a sub
Old 10-09-02, 11:40 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default IMO.... stock anything is junk...

First off,...gettin' bad azz amp's are only gonna amplify the garbage or quality put into them, so keeping the factory head unit is gonna get you the same quality you currently have, since the source signal is the same being sent to your stock amp now, which will become your new system's weakest link. You may gain volume capacity, not quality. Amps don't clean up sound, they amplify it.

Free air sub,...bad by design,... trunk air volume can change by what you have in it, dampening and absorbtion based on what's in it,... proximity of sub to the cabin poor, and then it's firing directly into the rear window,...big acoustic no no.

If you look at clearance items and discontinued items, due to new replacements ( considering they are reputable items ), you can find good equipment at reasonable prices. I got a $1200 Clarion MD/CD for $299. CLEARANCE!!! with remote, spec analyzer, 4V output, etc...

A little imagination is all that is required when space is an issue. I've said it a thousand times,... your gas tank, is shaped so that a box can built to sit between it and the rear dash, between both rear speakers, and the free air sub removed allows this space and a vent into the car. You can even do single subs into the side opposing the changer or even remove the changer/amp and put a fiberglass back/mdf front built box for single sub over there as well. Possibilities are infinite if any thought is applied.
Old 10-09-02, 11:43 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket head units are cheese? There are plenty of receivers that are light years ahead of the oe unit. If there is a reason for less installs in SC's, it might be because the gas tank is in the trunk, behind the rear seat, so a multi-sub enclosure would kill off the small amount of trunk space available, unless you built something that would sit in a corner or in the spare tyre well. I've seen a ton of audio installs in SC's though, they don't seem to be uncommon....
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio? Why few have it?-compressed-and-corrected-amp-rack.jpg  

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-09-02 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-09-02, 11:47 AM
95SC400
Rookie

Great... Spend $2K+ to replace the stock "junk". Now that is truly using a little imagination.

The stock sound needs a little help on the high end but is otherwise all most of us need. I would prefer to use my imagination improving the handling and performance.

But again... Just my POV.
Old 10-09-02, 11:51 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

The oe equipment is not junk, but you can get a head unit that's better than stock for far less than two grand....
Old 10-09-02, 11:52 AM
95SC400
Rookie

Let me clarify... By cheese, I mean I hate the way most of them look and much prefer the factory look.

I have no doubt that aftermarket units are in most cases going to be superior in sound quality than factory. I am really into music, but not hard core enough to change the look from factory.
Old 10-09-02, 12:03 PM
tarq3
Driver

Ok lets clear this up Factory i run the Nakamichi Premium system. Now as stock radios goi that is by far a great radio speaking stock that is. Peole are still suprised that it is a stock systme in my car and on top of that my rear speakers except for the sub don't even work. So that their tells yo how goo the Nakimichi system is. No as for after market lots of times when you slap a Double Din head unit in it looks crazy. That i why i opt to keep the head unit only. As for free air versus enclosure , welll everyon know enclosure wins. But if you don't want to or have space for box / enclosure their are some damn good free airs out their. The Nakimichi sub that came factory hit prety damn good for anything factory. So you figure i believe that ran about 50 watts, well you take an aftermarket that does 250 rms and slap it in there, your on your way plus did not have to make major changes. Just mu opinion and for people that don't want to gut there car like me. As for clean sound the Nak head unit is damn good for what it is and very far ahead of it's time considering that was 10 years ago that these things came out.
Old 10-09-02, 12:04 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default stock hi end performance???

Again? what comparison is there to 50RMS/100watts Alpine power per speaker of MB Quart, Focal, Polk audio, Infinity reference, Alpine, JL Audio calibre??

Answer: There is none. I stated in another thread,.. the Nakamichi system is superior when compared to say a Maxima's BOSE P.O.S. or an AC/Delco or even Sparkomatic,... but to say that spending money to have a comparable system to everything else high class about your car is questionable.

It's like the athlete,... who has the built body, nice Armani suit, and has a pair of run down tennis shoes on with the outfit. The shoes killed everything else about the total package.

I agree that performance things are important, but IMO there's nothing worse than the ugly car, or car system that sounds like crap/looks like crap that swears up and down his car is fast.

FRESH CAR, FRESH RIMS/TIRES, FRESH SOUNDS, TIGHT PERFORMACE,... the one who achieves all has arrived. Not 50%, 30% or even 70.... All show no go is not good, and all go, no show, not necessarily worthy either.
Old 10-09-02, 12:16 PM
projectsc
Pole Position

Hey guys, I just got back from class and suprised to see so many replies.

Jon- Do you have any pics of the setups? Were most of them at shows in NY?

95SC400- What about upgrading to a highend Nak aftermarket headunit to keep the factory look?

NAZTY97- Do you have pictures of the trunk area?

When I do get my SC I will be upgrading everything and most likely going with an enclosed sub. There are a lot of small subs that can produce very loud but still be very crisp.
Old 10-09-02, 12:37 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There are LOts of members here with aftermarket systems.
I think it (After market systems) adds to the pleasure of driving.
Old 10-09-02, 12:38 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by tarq3
Peole are still suprised that it is a stock systme in my car and on top of that my rear speakers except for the sub don't even work. So that their tells yo how goo the Nakimichi system is.

Huh thats funny .. all that tells me is that the "peole" who listen to your stereo don't know what there talking about.
Old 10-09-02, 12:43 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

i think Mr. Luthor has one of the nicest setups around! very clean and well done. Not to mention functional!

Quick Reply: Car Audio? Why few have it?