SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Battery relocation

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02 | 11:17 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Default Battery relocation

I want to relocate my battery to the trunk. But the amp is right in the place where I want the battery. How would you guys do this? The cables to the stock amp is way too short to move it anywhere... any suggestions?
Old 10-09-02 | 11:48 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Sup, D. I would be more inclined to put the battery a little more to the left than to extend the amp wiring, it doesn't have to be directly over the right rear tyre, but I understand you want to put it in that recess. Summit Racing has a kit for only 43 bucks, hope that helps...
Old 10-09-02 | 12:07 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

I check the summit battery relocation kit with one of my RX-7 dude and he said it was junk. He preferred the one that he bought from K-mart for 12 buck(just the box)

I want to run the battery cable where I ran my (former amp wire)

This is how I had it planned

There is a hole just above your right knee(when you are in driver's seat) on the firewall. I already bored the hole bigger to fit the thicker cable.

Run the positive cable from the engine compartment -> bored hole -> down next to the kick panel fuse box next to left foot -> under the door molding - under the carpet (left edge where carpet meets the leather -> small hole between the back seat and rear firewall (left side of car) -> behind the fuel tank -> to where the stock amp is located.

how about putting a piece of plywood under the carpeting above the stock amp and putting the battery box above it? This way I don't ave to drill a hole in the plywood rather than the car.

Thats what I plan to do. Does this sound logical?

Last edited by VSsc400; 10-09-02 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-09-02 | 07:43 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

If he's referring to the batt box not being that thick, that's true, waddya expect for 43 bucks, but as far as the rest of the kit, it's just cables and terminals, it's not like you need Connecting Punch oxygen-free copper or anything, just the right gauge. You could always get a fancyshmancy polished alum batt box, or if you're using a gel cel you could skip all that. You don't plan on running the cables undeneath the car bro?
Old 10-10-02 | 11:35 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

You hit the nail on the head! the rest of the summit battery kit is good but the box is no good. I will be using optima battery so it should be ok to run it the way I expalined... is there a benefit to running it under the car oposed to my idea? or is it all the same?
Old 10-10-02 | 11:39 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Well, first of all, that's alot of cable to hide under the carpet, especially if you already have a 4AWG lead, three sets of RCA's, etc running under there for your sound system. Plus the fact that you're more prone to introduce noise by running it through the car, plus you won't have to open up the hole in the firewall.....
Old 10-10-02 | 11:51 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Lex: thank you always for the good advice. I'll check under the car to check the best route under the car. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-10-02 | 01:30 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Your welcome brother, don't forget that we're in competition with each other also , to see who builds a turbo SC first, and then when we're both done, we're getting a three-way race going between you, gadgetSC, and myself....
Old 10-10-02 | 02:09 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

got the whole design back for the single turbo back from those guys. Didn't get the diagrams and stuff yet. They said they have to push the date back a little further because they have to get the rest of the cars out of the shop to make room and they are in the process of moving.
This is what they have on their board. They also have a SC400 in their shop for measurements.
(Everything is from front of car)
Turbo is T3(can change at later date) internally gated
Unequal length exhaust manifold on right side
pipe from left side stock header to rear of manifold(big U shape I guess)
pipe extended from the right front manifold, up and foward.
Turbo mounted (looking from front) intake housing-exhaust housing.
pipe stretched across to left side from intake housing(better air flow) with cone filter.
pipe straight down to FMIC -> pipe comming up from left side ->BOV to intake plenum.
Single exhaust.

I would have loved dual exhaust but they said stay with single to keep it simple.

I was busy writing everything down and everything sounds german to me but sounds ok..

they told me they were adding a FMU(?) somewhere
also a MAF sensor something so the ECU won't go crazy(?)

downpipe is 3" and 3" highflow cat and 3" pipe with 3" muffler with two 2" tips

I think that was the jist of it.... i could be wrong on something... I was writing so quick..

let me know your input.
Old 10-10-02 | 06:32 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

FMU is a fuel mgt unit, i.e. a boost-indexed fuel pressure regulator that increases fuel pressure in relation to an increase in boost pressure (i.e. 1:1). I assume they are changing the MAF to calibrate for a larger injector and the drastically increased volume of air. Need more details before deciding if the setup is optimal, let me know as you get more info, but glad you're staying on top of this.....

P.S. - Where's this shop?
Old 10-11-02 | 09:35 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

texas