SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buyer's Remorse???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 09:16 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, even though Aliga has good prices, its still too much to pay for a used piece of plastic that will crack on you as soon as you slam the door again. My rear view mirror was in different shades so i went to autozone and got the universal one, thats cheaper than a used one from junk yard.You just got to play the Lexus game with Toyota cards.

If you were to turn this car into a drift or track car, the usual interior gutting and spraying it with rattle can,i'd say keep it.
Old 11-23-11, 09:16 PM
ill12will8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll post some pics in the am and I do need some tan interior like door panels, shifter, possibly seats. And yes I'm gonna take you guys advice and tell but i wanna get the most a can so imma tidy it up some
Old 11-23-11, 09:32 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

this car is quite the dedication, but honestly man i think if you stick with it youll love it. best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
Old 11-23-11, 10:07 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
So you agree with the dude you quoted yet end with these sleds come with a high cost of ownership? I know its all maintenance, but even those who do turn thier own wrenches and hunt for deals online will spend a ton on an older higher mileage sc...there is really no way around it. The parts just werent designed to last 10-20 years and it seems the toyota quality didnt branch to lexus(im looking at you climate control screen)
Man if you hate your **** bag that much just throw it away instead of talking all kind of **** in this forum. Don't buy something you can't afford next time man. You clearly don't know what you're talking about from the other threads you've posted on.

Nobody's gonna waste their time breaking down everything you need to understand for you, kid.
Old 11-23-11, 10:19 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Owning an SC is like owning a piece of art work that isn't finished. You just have to work on it until it's a masterpiece! Until it expresses you as an individual! Most people on here love them because they can express themselves with there own creation. Plus, You have the opportunity to create a beast if you want too. One that will RAPE your Grand Prix not only in power but in handling and looks... Just my 2 cents!

I love my SC and I work on it all the time. No, not because it is broken but because I can.
Old 11-23-11, 10:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

So you agree with the dude you quoted yet end with these sleds come with a high cost of ownership?
Don't be concerned with what I agree with or don't agree with. If you wanna help the guy out, go ahead. Otherwise take your efforts elsewhere.

I know its all maintenance, but even those who do turn thier own wrenches and hunt for deals online will spend a ton on an older higher mileage sc...there is really no way around it.
What the hell is your point? That goes for any older, high mileage car that has been neglected and not maintained.

The parts just werent designed to last 10-20 years and it seems the toyota quality didnt branch to lexus(im looking at you climate control screen)
Every Toyota car has its fair share of problems also.... ask me how I know. I will gladly tell you.
Old 11-23-11, 10:53 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

I think that boy don't know what wear and tear means. What you think everything lasts forever? What are you GOD?
Old 11-23-11, 11:42 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Man if you hate your **** bag that much just throw it away instead of talking all kind of **** in this forum. Don't buy something you can't afford next time man. You clearly don't know what you're talking about from the other threads you've posted on.

Nobody's gonna waste their time breaking down everything you need to understand for you, kid.
You got me mixed up man. never said I can't afford it. when I post in threads asking if the sc is the right car, I avoid the fancy ish and tell it like it is. Yes, these are nice and beautiful cars and I love them. doesn't change the fact that with their age parts will begin to let go and even doing ones own work it can get costly. they just no longer make good a daily, nor are they the car to buy thinking it will be cheap to own due to its age
Old 11-23-11, 11:49 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

I still wouldn't say they're costly. Look, since I got my SC, I've already spent $6000 restoring it, based on what OLT's thread I've pretty much replaced all those parts already. And I bought my SC in the best exterior and interior condition for $3600, so that means anything else from this point onwards anything else I'm gonna do would be accessories and facial. For $9600 I'm driving a Lexus, which is waaaaaay ahead of it's time and still manage to break necks. No signs of engine needing to be rebuild, nor tranny going weak. Just burned a BMW on my way home to be exact, LOL.
Old 11-23-11, 11:49 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

To everyone...don't get me wrong. I am not here to spread hate towards the sc. I just think many people look into these cars without knowing what they were in for. they see an incredibly nice car, style and option wise, and think it'll be a cheap nice car. I am just warning them what they are in for as far as the cost of ownership despite their age. if they are aware and still want to own an sc I'm all for it. I was warned and could have backed out but I decided to stick with it. I love to see another sc enthusiast
Old 11-24-11, 01:09 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread pretty much summarizes how SC's almost became the next 240.

During the initial days of drift craze, Mr. Ueno's Soarer has made an impression on many fan boys with sports compact cars but SC's were too expensive at the time so many jumped on 240's instead. Fast forward a few years and SC's price has dropped significantly and became affordable to fan boys. But what they didn't realize is the difference in 240's and SC's vehicle class. Each vehicle's class directly translates to maintenance cost and therefore SC's still commands higher maintenance cost than that of 240's/any other sports compact cars. Many sells their SC's after a few months but a few finds great potential and love for the car.

Bottom line: I'm not saying it's bad to jump on to the next platform because I was one of the fan boys but just know what your getting yourself into.
Old 11-24-11, 02:47 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

I understand where you're coming from uras but I a disagree with the very last aspect. My SC has been ungodly cheap compared to my s14. Do you know how hard it is to walk into a junkyard and find a non stripped 240 shell due to drift tax? I go to the yard and I have nothing to worry about besides the head lights and lip being gone on scs. I think the best part about Lexus is that people like

Last edited by greens14; 11-24-11 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 02:52 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Nosht ( no offense sir) hype these cars up so much that it becomes even profitable for cheap asses like me. I bought my ****box SC for less than three thousand 97 etc and have made actually made money off of maintenance. I went from spending 200 bucks total on changing a ton of interior pieces sunroof and general coolant system components to making 500 from just picking up a few extra things on the way home.

Bottom line if you don't feel a connection to the car there's no reason to keep it. I undoubtedly was gonna kick my SC to the curb and get and obd1 until I found out that I could clear cel codes with a manual swap. Anyways ....yea .....

Last edited by greens14; 11-24-11 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 04:18 PM
M.Rad.
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, what planet are you people from? If you think these cars are expensive to fix and require constant repairs, you should try owning a BMW.
I have owned three BMWs that were top of the line in their day: 1985 635CSi ($40K in 1985); 1995 540I ($50K in 1995); and a 1991 850i (90K in 1991) which I still own and tinker with.

None of these cars were nearly as reliable as my '97SC400, and the performance is equivalent if not superior to all but the V-12 ( and the SC400 beats it 0-60). And the repair parts for BMWs are OUTRAGEOUS in comparrison!

Be glad you are driving a truly well engineered, beautifully styled machine, that can be had and maintained for next to nothing.
My .02

Regards,
M.R.
Old 11-24-11, 05:44 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by M.Rad.
Man, what planet are you people from? If you think these cars are expensive to fix and require constant repairs, you should try owning a BMW.
I have owned three BMWs that were top of the line in their day: 1985 635CSi ($40K in 1985); 1995 540I ($50K in 1995); and a 1991 850i (90K in 1991) which I still own and tinker with.

None of these cars were nearly as reliable as my '97SC400, and the performance is equivalent if not superior to all but the V-12 ( and the SC400 beats it 0-60). And the repair parts for BMWs are OUTRAGEOUS in comparrison!

Be glad you are driving a truly well engineered, beautifully styled machine, that can be had and maintained for next to nothing.
My .02

Regards,
M.R.
Amen brother!

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse???