SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buyer's Remorse???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 02:42 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4urxtc
Plus, You have the opportunity to create a beast if you want too. One that will RAPE your Grand Prix not only in power but in handling and looks... Just my 2 cents!
I love my SC and I work on it all the time. No, not because it is broken but because I can.
Originally Posted by M.Rad.
...None of these cars were nearly as reliable as my '97SC400, and the performance is equivalent if not superior to all but the V-12 ( and the SC400 beats it 0-60). And the repair parts for BMWs are OUTRAGEOUS in comparrison!

Be glad you are driving a truly well engineered, beautifully styled machine, that can be had and maintained for next to nothing.My .02
Regards,
M.R.
Word

OP if you have remorse sale it, stick to what you like/used to and move on

Last edited by Joey-E; 11-26-11 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-26-11, 02:56 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn so much hate! 3 years ago it was nothing like this.

SC aren't expensive to fix you just gotta know where to look. I owned my 97 at 170k to 190k the only thing I had to replace is window regulator and my radiator. It ran perfectly fine.

But I do agree, the SC is becoming the new 240 sadly enough. I came from a 240 as well, but some people are smarter and learn to respect the community than others, unfortunately not many are.
Old 11-26-11, 12:41 PM
ill12will8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all ya input guys I'm currently selling it on CL especially since the valve cover gasket blew thursday...
Old 11-26-11, 12:47 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Called this one...
Old 11-26-11, 12:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ill12will8
Thanks for all ya input guys I'm currently selling it on CL especially since the valve cover gasket blew thursday...
it blew? that's a first....
Old 11-26-11, 12:58 PM
ill12will8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
it blew? that's a first....
well its leaking oil
Old 11-26-11, 01:13 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

first of all anyone who buys a 'Lexus" thinking its going to be a cheap car to maintain isnt really dealing in reality.

But the fact is after owning my sc for a few years and having some unlucky breaks along the way ive been shocked as to how cheap it can be maintained and how cheap parts can be found for.

Bmw, mercedes, jaguar , audi they are drastically higher in price for replacement parts.

For ****s sakes we can buy a whole 1uz engine, oneof the best engines imo, for around $500 plus shipping, with very low mileage.

The auto transmisions can be had for $3-400.00 with warrantees.

Come one man parts for this car arent that bad at all when yo think about it.

I have decided that i will never sell my sc due to the fact that parts are cheap, its incredibly well made and of course a very good looking car.

This thread is another story of a teenager buying a car he shouldnt have and now not knowing what to do because he lacks the finances to take care of it.
Old 11-26-11, 01:22 PM
ill12will8
Driver School Candidate

Seriously "mate" you don't know what my finance are so don't assume like you do. This isn't anywhere near my first car. But compared to the cars I have had these parts aren't cheap. I've dropped an engine into my grand prix. I've replaced the entire suspension on my impala. but apples for apples I paid a small margin of what I would've priced for the SC. But I'm glad you have an opinion but I have one as well so you can keep your SC I won't knock you I bought the car looking for something different but I'm just too plain jane for it.

Last edited by ill12will8; 11-26-11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 01:28 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Seriously "mate" you don't know what my finance are so don't assume like you do. This isn't anywhere near my first car. But compared to the cars I have had these parts aren't cheap. I've dropped an engine into my grand prix. I've replaced the entire suspension on my impala. but apples for apples I paid a small margin of what I've priced for the SC. But I'm glad you have an opinion but I have one as well so you can keep your SC I won't knock you I bought the car looking for something different but I'm just too plain jane for it.
with all due respect man didnt you know that Lexus's are more costly to buy and maintain then a american domestic?

They are known to be a high end car.

and if the car itself isnt your taste then there really isnt anything up for debate, you just dont like it.

Time to sell.
Old 11-26-11, 01:34 PM
ill12will8
Driver School Candidate

No I didn't think it was that expensive becuz I would hear ppl talk like this

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
For ****s sakes we can buy a whole 1uz engine, oneof the best engines imo, for around $500 plus shipping, with very low mileage.

The auto transmisions can be had for $3-400.00 with warrantees.

Come one man parts for this car arent that bad at all when yo think about it.

I have decided that i will never sell my sc due to the fact that parts are cheap, its incredibly well made and of course a very good looking car.
But just also like you said sell it...
Old 11-26-11, 01:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

No I didn't think it was that expensive becuz I would hear ppl talk like this

But just also like you said sell it...
Im not trying to argue with you man , if you do like the car, the parts can be had for reasonable prices and then you should try to keep it.

If you dont like the car then thats a different story, might be time to put it for sale.

You can learn alot here about the car and also find good deeals on parts and other sources on where to find them.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 11-26-11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 10:31 PM
myrmidon
Driver School Candidate

I've been insanely disappointed by mine. I've owned Toyotas in the past and expected this to be as reliable. It's a good car, don't get me wrong, but the fact that the parts I'm looking for simply aren't made anymore is a bad sign.
Old 11-27-11, 12:10 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20 years. 2 decades. That's a long damn time. Having a T or an L on the hood isn't a magic shield against wear and tear over the years.

It's true you can't build these cars from parts on the shelf in your local Auto Zone. It's not built from GM parts that were used on a dozen makes for 10 years. I'm the one who posted a $1200 idle air controller motor, yet being Lexus it's made of metal and can be rebuilt for a few bucks.

The fact that I can get into my 1992 car that hasn't had a single thing done to it mechanically and have it drive just fine is a testament to how well these are built. I've changed the oil, spark plugs, and wires and that's it. There's 189k on the odometer and it drives like it was 18k.

There is simply no comparison between these cars and 90s GM sedans. I liked the Grand Prix GTP, both the supercharged and the preceding 3.4 DOHC model. As usual, the powertrain is great and it's surrounded by crap. That was when they were new -- there's no way I'd want one after 20 more years at any price -- even free.
Old 01-11-12, 11:11 AM
ill12will8
Driver School Candidate

Why is it so difficult to sell this car? I've had it listed for months and nobody wants it I'm practically giving it away at the price its listed at now
Old 01-11-12, 03:24 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you posted pictures here? Send me a PM.

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse???