SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How did you become aware of the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 02:06 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically, it began with Gran Turismo 1. There were a couple different Soarers in the game, but they didn't make much of an impact on me at that early age. I was more interested in Corvettes then.

Fast forward many years, to when I was shopping for my first car. I happen upon a dark red SC for sale and in dire need of a wash, but it still looked majestic. Unfortunately it was out of my price range by about $3-4k. That still didn't stop me from hanging around to check it out thoroughly. This encounter planted the first seeds of desire. However I ended up buying a cheap Maxima.

I hadn't researched much on the car though, and more exotic body styles still appealed to me more. Around this time I was obsessed with the Z32 300zx, and was determined to save up for one eventually. I warmed to the idea of wedged 80's styling and "Japanese reliability" (I wasn't aware of the headache Z32's could be back then). Sometime around this stage I learned that the SC400 has a V8 and is rear wheel drive. I was intrigued more but still favored the Z32.

Then, the winter after I turned 19 my Infiniti I30 ended up getting totaled by a tree. The insurance money was more than I even paid for the car, and I had only owned it a few months, so I even came out ahead of the insurance payments. I was on a mission to find 1 of these 3 cars in my price range: Acura legend coupe, Z32 NA, or an SC400. I found a black 92 SC400 first, and never even got around to testing any examples of the other two cars because I liked it that much.

Four years later, this car is still mine. I don't want to ever part with it.
Old 05-26-13, 09:28 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some nice stories here.

Seems like a lot of us have thought of owning a Z32 at one point, or have owned a Z32. That car definitely caught my eye, but the SC400 is way more reliable. Wouldn't have changed a thing.
Old 05-26-13, 09:51 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 16 and sold my dirtbike for $1200, I ended up finding a 91 Hatchback civic for sale that I bought for the 1200. I put about 300 in parts into it and ended up selling it a month later for $3000 doubling my money. I was searching on Craigslist and found a Prelude that had been forsale for months. I agreed to buy it and it turned out that the day he was going to sell it to me he ended up trading it instead. I then was searching Craigslist and stumbled upon a 1992 red Sc400. I had no idea what kind of car this was and decided to look it up on YouTube. I found "SC's gone wild" and instantly fell in love. I also watched a few videos of "JDMmuscles" videos and made me love the car even more. I went up to Lubbock Texas the next day and bought it for $1700. I had some money left over so I bought some new struts and lowering springs. I'm so glad that everything played out like it did and that im not stuck with a prelude. 8 months later and I have it pretty close to how I want it. I have matured as a car enthusiast alot within the last 8 months also by going from wanting to race everyone and their grandma at the stoplight to never racing aside from the track.
Old 05-27-13, 06:43 AM
bam11
Driver School Candidate

I was looking for a gs400 when i saw this 2000 SC300 wife said this is the one )
Old 05-27-13, 09:28 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

When I was 15, I worked for an elderly lady. Mowed her lawn, trimmed vegetation, ect. She had a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass in her backyard that had been sitting there for 7 years without being touched. I asked a guy I worked with if she would sell it ever. He said loudly, "Well, she would probably just GIVE it to you." The lady happened to be by the door and overheard and said "If you can take it, it's yours." I was pretty excited. After about a week, we got it to where we drove it home. I had it for a year then sold it. Bought a 1992 Ford Explorer for $600. Put 400 into it, sold it for $1900. Then that's when I bought the 1992 Lexus SC400. Had no idea what the heck it was except that it was a V8 and Lexus. Got it for $2200, and after 1 year and 1500, I still have it. Now it sits next to my 1996 ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. I'm 17 now.

I'm so glad I got it, I didn't have a clue what it was at first, but now, it is a car I will never own. Hopefully.
Old 05-27-13, 04:33 PM
SJ300
Driver School Candidate

I was always into Lexus but never really looked into an sc until a friend was selling a white with black interior one so I thought I'd give it a try and fell in love with it since but recently picked up a white gs300 and I'm loving that also
Old 05-27-13, 08:30 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

Back in 92 there was a Pete Rock & Ceelo smooth video called straightin it out. At the end of the vid Pete rock bails CL out of jail. At the end of the steps were two women and two Lexus's for them. Pete rock had a black ls400 on gold bbs rs's and CL smooth had a black sc300. Couldn't see the wheels in the vid. Anyway I tried so hard to buy 1 back in 2001 but in Michigan the value of them were through the roof so I waited. 2010 after more cars from crx's, to omni glh's, neon acr's and acura cl's I finally copped a 92 sc400 off of Craig's list for $500. Needed a starter, fender, headlamp and front bumper. Changed all of that along with the drive shaft, intake manifold gasket, window squirter motor and all fluids. Yada yada yada I went through 2 more and now I have my 97.

Last edited by 313sc3; 05-27-13 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 08:38 PM
JustinZ30
Driver School Candidate

When I turned 18 I picked up an SW20 around the time when "hellaflush" was at its prime. I got some coilovers and wheels for it and I was content. One day I was at a sushi house and after we got done eating I see this long white car; slammed, polished wheels, big duals(now I know they were fireball megas). I was in awe, first thing I did was try to find the exhaust and I couldn't find it.

I sold the SW20 and I ended up getting a minty 1 owner 95 S14. I forgot all about the SC since I dumped all my money on wheels, suspension, and aero. After running my S14 to the ground from drifting I started seeing some SC's again. There weren't too many that caught my eye around my area and I thought I can get one and make it look the way I want it to look.

I was suppose to pick up a buddies car and instead I came across a friend of a friends SC that had more goodies so I picked it up after I sold my S14. Very pleased with it and the wait was definitely worth it. It seemed like every time I come across it I already had a car. My drifting experience is good enough to go to a different chassis -'d this car will be fun. Glad I finally got an SC!
Old 05-28-13, 12:13 PM
saints
Driver School Candidate

I went along with a friend to buy a LS 400, and saw a SC 400 for the first time on the lot. I have wanted one every since!! Now I have one, and I am loving every minute of it. By the way she bought her LS 400, and loved it so much she bought a LS 460 some years later.
Old 01-04-14, 05:17 PM
EdGyWoN
Driver School Candidate

It was 1991, I was 12 years old & saw a midnight metallic green w/ gold package. It was love at first sight! Even at 12 I had a life long love of all things automotive (especially Toyotas, my first car was a 92 camry royal jade green... I love that paint) I said I have to have one...some day. So fast forward 20 years, I was driving home from work & saw a 95 royal jade green w/ gold package oe spoiler, test drove it & put a deposit down. The next day I had my car sold & drove home my new wife (my sc300 that is) Over all of those years, I always said she was my "realistic dream car" & I'm still in love. I did always want the 2j because they are bulletproof & after owning everything from suvs, euro tuners, toyo ricers and muscle cars I have my baby.... the joy......

Last edited by EdGyWoN; 01-05-14 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-04-14, 10:13 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll be honest... I never gave the SC much thought when I owned the GS. Not that I didnt like them... I just liked bigger cars and never was a 2dr fan after my high school 96 Si in 1996 lol. Anyways i've seen some really nice ones at several CL NorCal meets and still never thought twice about them. I recently landed another job further away from my regular drive and had to find something reliable. I sold the 96 impala SS which i had running like a beast... and picked up a SC400. The impala simply isnt a daily freeway commute friendly car. Now I know a sc400 isnt exactly a gas saver ... But ... It's reliable it's safe and it's a Lexus.

After driving this SC around for a few weeks i've gained a higher level of respect for the car and even more for those that put so much work into them. So i guess my answer to the subject... I just became aware lol
Old 01-05-14, 08:27 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

When I went with m parents to the dealership in 1994, they bought their ES300 new off the lot.

I gave the SC a complete look inside and out....and I was in love.

Some years later, I got my first SC300 and I just cannot fathom not having one in my stable.
Old 01-05-14, 09:49 AM
Taken
Rookie

A few years ago I remember looking around for my first car, I jumped around from getting an s14, to getting a mk3 gti, and even a Prelude. It was an odd selection but I didn't really know much about cars I was just interested in getting something "fast and stick." Most of my friends drove stick so I wanted to jump that bandwagon. Anyway, I remember that my friend started telling me that there was a Lexus with a Supra engine in it, I was baffled and so I started looking into it. ...little by little I just fell for the car.

I looked forever all over craigslist and found a '95 dwp with a 2JZ-GTE swap in it, I had to drive it. After that experience I knew that this was it, I had finally found the car that I knew I was going to keep for a long, long time. But, the guy's SC was a little sketchy, so I decided to keep searching ..I ended up buying my uncles 03' Mercedes c230..it was a pos and I didn't realize up until 6-7 months later. So, I sold it. From there, the hunt began! I knew exactly what car I wanted but I wanted to make sure I found the cleanest SC300 ...like ever.

A few more months passed by with no luck until I came across a '99 sc300 in Georgia. (Or more like she came across me ) It had only one owner and literally no miles on it. 27k to be exact. I called up some family that lived near by the dealer who was selling it, they checked it out and told me it looked, and drove really well. Immediately I went ape-****** crazy and drove to Georgia as quick as I could. I test drove the car and man, never had I driven something quite like that car. I took it to a Lexus dealer and they told me everything was mechanically sound and gave me the green light to buy it, and so I did. Two and half years later I'm still with my baby, and in all honesty I couldn't be happier.
Old 01-05-14, 10:55 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking for my first legit car other than driving my mom's impala. I was looking at Eclipse's, 3000GT's, Corvette C4's, Impreza's and 240's. Then i stumbled across the SC gone wild video and my jaw dropped and had to have one. So being in-between jobs, 2 years later i finally stumbled across a salvage 99 400, that i paid 1000$ and brought it back to life.
How did you become aware of the SC?-tz574xa.jpg
Old 01-05-14, 12:33 PM
lexfreak22
Driver School Candidate

I had never really heard about sc's until maybe four years ago. I had always had imprezas. Anyways he bought a 92 sc3 factory five speed and i liked it a lot. He daily drove it for a couple years then he started drifting it. Once he 1j swapped it i was hooked. Loved the power and the sound. Decided i needed one for myself. I have had mine for a few months now. Almost completely stock minus wheels and coilovers. I love it to death.

Quick Reply: How did you become aware of the SC?