SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Report: Eibach springs & Tokico shocks combo

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 02:55 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Report: Eibach springs & Tokico shocks combo

Ok, so the factory struts on my SC3 were worn out, and I bought Eibach springs (the Pro-Kit, not the Sportlines) and Tokico shocks (not the adjustable ones) as replacements. Here are my impressions after 3 days of driving:

The ride is considerably firmer. Much less bounce (practically none), and body roll is significantly reduced. The Eibach springs lower the car about 1", bringing the top of the well down closer to the tires without covering them.

The lower stance probably helps with the overall handling. I know it makes the car look badass. Cornering is surer, and it seems to understeer less. Reaction to turning the steering wheel is more immediate.

Going over speed bumps is a very cautious process, as I discovered the first morning when I took one at normal speed and bottomed out the suspension in the front with a THUD. Doh! Just go slower.

You feel more of the road texture, although the car in general is not as affected by the changes; the suspension absorbs it much better.

I'm pleased with this modification and recommend it the next time you're thinking about replacing struts and you want something that will still give a smooth ride. It is, according to Eibach and Tokico, a "near-OEM" type of ride, which I would dispute, but it's probably a much more luxurious ride than their other performance products.

Edit: These are the exact parts I bought:

Tokico Premium Performance Shocks 1992-97 Lexus SC400/SC300 (Manufacturer Part #: HU3452-HU3453) $299

Eibach PRO-KIT 92> Lexus SC300; Front = 1.0 in Rear = 1.0 in
(Manufacturer Part #: 8240.14) $261.75

I purchased these from Overboost.com for a competitive price. I was satisfied with their service except for the fact that they gave the wrong street number to UPS for the shocks delivery and that got delayed. Somehow they managed to get the address right for the drop ship from Eibach.

Ral

Last edited by RalAegidius; 10-10-02 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 04:02 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
excellent write up! i'm sure they could use this for the FAQ.
Old 10-10-02, 10:59 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds good!! I have a set of Eibach Supra NA Prokits in transit. I can not wait for them to get here. I'm sooo sick of this huge, gaping space between the fender and tire! I just got new Yokohama tires mounted and already my car grips much better. When the Eibachs come, I'm going to get H&R 15mm spacers for the front and rear to widen the stance. Once both are installed, I'm sure my car will handle like a beast!

BTW Ral, where did you get your springs installed and how much was the labor on the springs alone (if you know). I'm about to start researching install places for the springs tomorrow. Any input? Thanks!
Old 10-10-02, 11:09 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Lex400sc, have to tell me how the supra springs/shocks work for you, I am very interested in that for a next summer project after school is over. You can if you feel like it, install it yourself, all you need is a spring compressor which if you know a buddy, he can do or you can do. I think you can rent one and directions would be readily available. When I get new suspension I will get some guy to do it for very cheap (home garage) Ive always wondered how the Supra springs compared to the SC4 springs... might never find out.
Old 10-10-02, 11:13 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Phoenix, I'm under the impression that Supra NA Prokits give you the lowest suspension drop for Eibach @ 1.3/1.5-front and 1.0-rear. Of course there is a lot of debate about this on the forums, but we shall see soon enough . I'll look into spring compressors tomorrow, sure would suck if a spring broke loose from one and caught you in the chin :eek:!
Old 10-10-02, 11:46 PM
Lvangundy

You'd prolly suffer massive head injuries..

I thinking of doing the eibach 1" on my LS...let us know how everything goes!
Old 10-11-02, 12:25 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are you getting the Supra NA springs? Are they the same as the Supra TT springs?
Old 10-11-02, 12:41 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

TT springs are 1.2" front and NA are 1.3" drop front... I think for the SC400 it is better w/ the NA springs. Is that right lex?
Old 10-11-02, 01:06 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Hopefully that is right! Right now my rear end sags more than my front and the car looks kind of funny. The springs should fix that. If not, then out with the subs and spare!
Old 10-11-02, 01:13 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it will fix it, but it will look alot better. The fact is, the front wheel well is alot higher than the rear.
Old 10-11-02, 01:56 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Sc4oo
I don't think it will fix it, but it will look alot better. The fact is, the front wheel well is alot higher than the rear.
Dammit, I'll need to add coilovers to my list of things to buy..... Where does it end???
Old 10-11-02, 02:16 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

lex,
i'm glad you went with the supra springs. the eibach for the SC400 doesn't cut it if you're going to get 19's in the future. i installed my 19's and i think it needs to be even lower. don't get me wrong, it looks good with the 1", but i think coilovers for me is better. either that or the supra springs. dunno... all i know is that i'm broke as hell now. new rims, new tires... and another set of tires just in case....
Old 10-11-02, 03:07 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Broke club lol. I recently spent about $3k on rims/tires/system... I'm trying to save up for a supra setup, my car is too low!
Old 10-11-02, 03:40 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

anyone wants to give some JDM springs such as Espelir or Kg/mm springs a try? both co makes ONLY suspension component, and they have many different kinds ranging from street sport(10mmf/5mmr) to race(55mm/45mm). price is quite comparable to the eibach.

i have the kg/mm springs on my GS, great drop(bit lower than HR), still mighty comfy with kyb l-tuned shocks.
Old 10-11-02, 03:43 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS4Will
anyone wants to give some JDM springs such as Espelir or Kg/mm springs a try? both co makes ONLY suspension component, and they have many different kinds ranging from street sport(10mmf/5mmr) to race(55mm/45mm). price is quite comparable to the eibach.

i have the kg/mm springs on my GS, great drop(bit lower than HR), still mighty comfy with kyb l-tuned shocks.
will!
Espelir springs for the SC400 are really expensive, last time i checked it was about $400+ USD. I hear these are real great springs too, but hard to come by nowadays. PM me if you can get these... I think they will lower the SC 1.5" in the front.

Quick Reply: Report: Eibach springs & Tokico shocks combo