SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12 | 11:01 PM
RVamiri
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Just got my first Lexus SC

Hi guys,

My name is Arveen. I'm a college student from Englewood, CO and I just bought my first Lexus: a 1995 SC300. I used to own an 88 Honda Accord--a real gem for sure...decided not to risk my life in that deathtrap after I tried to replace a 20 year old CV. The car leaked virtually every possible automotive fluid (including gasoline since it was carb'd , lol).

Anyways, after consoling with a good college friend of mine who has owned and driven Lexus vehicles for a while, I decided that Lexus was the way to go. His name is kdiqq91 for those one the forum who may know him. He owns a 2000 GS400. After looking through the GS, LS, ES, and SC models on Craig's list, I decided to set my sights on on the SC models. I like the 2-door sports car feel to the vehicle and I knew that SC300 hosted the legendary 2JZ engine.

Just today, we decided to check out a '95 SC300 at a local private dealership. I gave it a test drive and I fell in love with that throaty in-line 6 engine note. After negotiations, I grabbed that car in a heartbeat. I'll be honest, I felt a little buyer's remorse from making a quick decision on the first car that I test drove--but I talked to kdiqq91 Lexus and that car specifically and it was the best option for me at that time. The SC300 is reliable, dependable, and easily maintainable and upgrade-able. I may be a die hard fan of American muscle, but like kdiqq91 must admit that Lexus has made some pretty dope rides this past decade.

So yeah, I have a stock '95 SC300. It is that common dark green color with a tan leather interior. It has ~133k miles on it. The exterior is really clean, just a few small scratches. The interior is a little beat up with a few cracks on the side doors and a broken cup holder. The engine leaks a little oil near the alternator, but I suspect it's a quick gasket swap on the valves(?). The ball joints are a little noisy so I'll probably replace those in the near future.

My short-term goals are to go through the essential maintenance motions (oil change, spark plugs, gaskets, etc). My mid-term goals are to fix up the interior and I'm looking in the long-term to get my car 400 hp at the wheels. I'm pretty handy, so labor is not an object, but I'm just wondering what you guys think about some of the first steps I should take in making sure my SC is in prime working condition.
Old 03-06-12 | 08:45 AM
badgley86
Driver School Candidate

hey guys got a sc300 5speed couple years back with the intentions of making it a drifter, but with school the marines and an ex its just been sitting in storage.
now im seeing 1uz with blowers and i got this idea of building a roots blower with a bug catcher through the hood like and old school muscle car.
is it worth tearing out that 2j for a 1uz cause the 1uz is lighter and puts out more its the 2j its a 2J.....

just looking for feedback
Old 03-06-12 | 11:09 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by badgley86
hey guys got a sc300 5speed couple years back with the intentions of making it a drifter, but with school the marines and an ex its just been sitting in storage.
now im seeing 1uz with blowers and i got this idea of building a roots blower with a bug catcher through the hood like and old school muscle car.
is it worth tearing out that 2j for a 1uz cause the 1uz is lighter and puts out more its the 2j its a 2J.....

just looking for feedback
Keep it 2jz. The 1UZ has little or no aftermarket. The 2jz has so much support it will make your head spin.
Old 03-06-12 | 08:26 PM
RVamiri
Driver School Candidate

Default New SC300

Sorry for the long thread last time. I'll shorten it quite a bit.

My name is Arveen Amiri. I am a college student in Golden, CO and I just bought a '95 SC300 two days ago. It's dark green, and it has 133+k miles on it. What do you guys recommend I do first just for basic maintenance? Oil change, spark plugs, fluid flushing?
Old 03-06-12 | 10:16 PM
mmills47
4th Gear

Default New Member

Hi,

I'm going to try this again. I have a '92 SC400, lowered with 17" wheels and 245 45s on the rear and 225 50s on the front. Car has a chin spoiler, cross drilled and slotted brakes, a cold air intake and tinted windows. Looking to uprate the wheels to 18" soon, I've got that figured out pretty well, not going so wide as to have to make fender mods. I've been reading about brake modifications. Obviously, I can spend a ton of money for Brembos but apparently LS400 or Supra brakes are bolt on and at least the fronts are larger. Trying to find out about the rears, are the LS400s or Supras also larger? Any help with that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Maury
Old 03-07-12 | 01:00 AM
tattdtank
Driver School Candidate

Default my leXXXus

Names Drew, just recently traded my 06 sti for a 99 gs300 with a VVTI 2JZ swap. highly modded. ill post pics...im trying to figure this site out, in major need of some help. i understand this isnt the forum for it, but if you have anwsers or could direct me in the direction of them, it would be greatly appreciated. just recently my tail lights quit working, brake lights work, as do the signals, reverse and headlights, high and low beams. all interior lights work fine, and i check the bulbs to find that they were good as well... im lost.
any questions about the car or mods, im more than happy to anwser. make room for the noob lol
SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-0202121414.jpg
SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-0209122158.jpg
SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-0210121237.jpg
SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-0209122159.jpg
SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-0210121532.jpg
Old 03-07-12 | 12:17 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

wdup CL! Looking to join the club, still searching for the right one.

Hope i find her soon!
Old 03-07-12 | 03:11 PM
3gInOc
Driver School Candidate

Sup CL,

I picked up this SC from a good friend of mine. It’s supposed to be my daily, and I wasn’t supposed to do any mod’s to the car… but here I am on this site. And we all know what happens as we start to thumb through car sites.

It’s a 97 SC400. The car came already lowered on CK?? Coils, with axis wheels, Greddy mufflers, HID in the head lights and the fogs, all interior bulbs replaced with LED’s, and older model Alpine and Viper alarm, and the steering wheel was swapped from another Lexus. I got the car about a month ago. Since then I have replaced the stereo with one that is Bluetooth enabled and some other cool features. Upgraded the Viper Alarm with a newer model that has remote start. Couple of weeks later, still no liking the sound that was coming from the car, I replaced the stock speakers with speakers from Boston Acoustic. I added a Boston Acoustic 5 Channel Amp and 10” Kicker Sub, to replace the factory one. I have also purchased all the metal necessary to build some strut tower bars and some chassis bracing. I do know one thing, this car is always going to be under construction.

So far I love the car. It’s got good power and is comfortable enough to drive from Orange County to Downtown LA every day.

Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzA1NjEuanBn.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  50.8 KB
Old 03-08-12 | 03:01 AM
Wt5spsc
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Well hello CL!! My name is Derrick I've owned my 1993 Sc300 5 speed white for about a year now. I've always been a fan of the car since being into drifting and seeing Takahiro Ueno's soarer in the D1GP. Of course My poor car isn't in the same condition I've spent the last year trying to nurse the poor thing back to health and glory (poor car) Anyway I'm from University place WA and I'm about to be a full time automotive at the local Tech collage. I've heard a lot about this site and it comes up often while I'm searching for answers on how to get my poor Sc to run again. It even has a Club Lexus sticker on the rear quarter window. it's my first time being part of a forum so I'll ask in advance for forgiveness if you notice bad grammar, spelling errors or typos. More about the car... it's mostly stock except for the Tein suspension and the FLO-master pipes. At the moment as I might have mentioned before it's not running, not sure why that is though. we'll get to that later... pics coming soon... even though she's not running she's still pretty
Old 03-08-12 | 07:06 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Wassup CL, my name is Chris but you can call me CJ...I've owned a 97 SC300 which was sold two months ago and now I own a 97 SC400. I'm from the Miami, FL area. Pretty much working on a 2JZGTE swap coming soon.
Old 03-08-12 | 09:24 PM
greenlotus
Driver School Candidate

New member, I plan on looking at the SC section alot for new idea's / parts review. I came from a Rotary / Motorcycle background so the lexus seen is kinda different for me.
Old 03-09-12 | 02:28 AM
Kayaksc400
Driver School Candidate

Default Whats up from NYC?

Just saying hello from NYC.

I just recently purchased a 1994 SC400 from a seller from Craigslist for dirt cheap. Possibly needs a new tranny but thats nothing compared to the price I paid for it. I originally wanted a classic muscle car, but I'll hold off on that for now. Im happy with my purchase and I have a reliable friend thats educating me on the do's and dont's about this vehicle.

I'll be taking pics over the course and I know I made a wise choice.

I hope to get some sound advice from members here and skys the limit for this car.
Old 03-09-12 | 02:58 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

welp welcome to the party fellas theres lots of info here.
Old 03-10-12 | 09:07 AM
demonspeed
Driver School Candidate

What up....long time lurker, first time poster/owner!:-)

Just picked up a 92 sc400 from my best friend and i gotta say this car is the ****! This car is the only car that Ive owned that can handle my abusive lead foot besides my old skyline in Oki haha!

Forgot to mention im in Wa...Olympia/Lacey area
Old 03-11-12 | 06:01 PM
Holland300
Driver School Candidate

Default Hey everyone

New member here, Name is JD. Just picked up my 1st Lexus this week. It's a 97, been paited got it for a good deal I think. I'm happy with it so far. Got HID's on the way and making a intake for it this coming up week
Attached Thumbnails SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-2nd-car.jpg  

Quick Reply: SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!