SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 08:01 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Right here Bob! Denver guy.
Old 09-03-20, 03:15 AM
RandySC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car issues...semi fixed?

Originally Posted by Soarer59
Be smart, before you spend a fortune on repairs, get your ECU overhauled. Not by one of those cheap guys, look up Relentless Motorsports TX on Facebook. He will tell it to you like it is, but boy can he fix them! I promise you won't be disappointed.
Yoo and yeah I’m trying to be smart and not spend to much on motor and speed yet. I just want to make sure it drives well.

So issues were replacing valve cover gasket, spark plugs and wires. New clutch fan since fan was weak. Well that’s what the mechanic fixed to get the car to be driveable since it was misfiring. However he said check engine light code 13 was on upon picking up the car so after spending quite a bit I had to do some hw on why rpm gauge wasn’t working. Soo I replaced VSS sensor and cleaned out the connectors. That fixed the speedometer to work. Now I think it’s a distributor problem since rpm isn’t working?

thanks.
Old 09-10-20, 02:39 PM
redbird45
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hello!

Hi fellow drivers & drifters,

My name is redbird45 and I'm new here so thought I'd join in and post a pic. I wish I could afford to keep my sweet ride but my I'm going to have to put it in the marketplace and look for something larger as my needs have changed. But I've really enjoyed my travels and it's a great car to modify. I'm sure the right person will find it. Wish I had found this forum earlier as it has really been great for getting the little fixes I've had done and looking at all the pics. It's really made me appreciate my Lexus SC300even more. Thanks and have a great day!

The following 2 users liked this post by redbird45:
RudysSC (09-11-20), sc300nah (05-09-21)
Old 09-13-20, 08:12 PM
nicvci1127
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys I'm Nic, I have a 95 sc400 and have tons of fun just getting it back in running order and fixing it up to like-new conditions. I haven't done much in the mod realm yet, all that's done is a new paintjob, wheels, and I had already swapped the front brakes to the Ls400's and an aftermarket exhaust, also I have a few plans already to change up some more stuff but it won't be for a while, as I just enrolled in college. I've already put plenty of money into, being a basic teenager I had already wrecked and totaled it but luckily I'm having it rebuilt and should be ready soon, ill make sure to add photos. sadly I don't have many pictures of it when I had first bought the car.

after paintjob

(recent) after wreck

The following users liked this post:
sc300nah (05-09-21)
Old 09-28-20, 06:05 PM
TBoostSC
Driver School Candidate

Default New guy saying hello

What's up guys I'm Antonio, just picked up a 97 sc400 auto over the weekend. This is my second sc had a 92 5sp a lot of yrs ago, got rid of it like an idiot thinking I was gonna be done with my love of cars especially anything Supra/SC related. I'm also on my second MKIII, which will be donating its driveline (1jz R154) to this sc once I get some maintenance done and get her cleaned up. The car came with coilovers aftermarket tail lights and some rims nothing special. The previous did a crap job of rolling fenders, couple of dings and clear is peeling. I plan on never letting this one go so will take time and make it good. Seems to be a lot of knowledge to soak up on here and hopefully I can add some in the future. I will add pics tomorrow can't from phone to iPad will just take some more with iPad.

Last edited by TBoostSC; 09-29-20 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Adding pics
sc300nah (05-09-21)
Old 10-01-20, 06:35 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Welcome guys, glad to have you!
Old 10-21-20, 02:56 PM
DarthNater
8th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey everyone I am Nate, I bought my 97 SC300 with 178k miles on it a few months ago. I’ve made a few posts but never an introduction post... oops! I originally bought the car to get out of my expensive car payment and drive around for awhile and then turn it into a drift car. The more I drove it the more I fell in love with the car and didn’t want to see it get trashed and smashed as a drift car so I decided to restore/build it into a weekend cruiser street car that is capable of going to local track days and having fun! I’ve done a few things to it including new wheels because I wasn’t a fan of the wheels it came with (20s and no name rubber band tires), headlight restoration, and new poly lower control arm and steering rack bushings. Many more mods to come!

This was the day after I bought the car

And these were from yesterday after work!

The following 2 users liked this post by DarthNater:
sc300nah (05-09-21), Tallyhoe (10-22-20)
Old 10-22-20, 01:44 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Nice looking SC... definitely dig the wheels.. I'm still trying to decide what wheels I want, definitely 17 or 18s...
Old 11-02-20, 04:24 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Sad New Member

This is a tough post to write. Stick with it and hear me out: My name is Kai, and I am a Lexus SC400 owner.

I’ve been a moderate fan of the Lexus SC since ‘98 or ‘99. Our lead sales rep at the company I worked at had a SC300. I believe it was baroque red metallic or Bordeaux pearl, looking at the color codes. I very much enjoyed riding to customers' sites in that car. Never thought much of them again until a few years ago, when my then 17-year-old son decided he'd fall in love with the SC400. He had bought a project 1965 Chevy Corvair but had lost interest after he really understood how not fast Corvairs were.

Having graduated high school and working full time as a data center administrator, he had money to put into a car. So, he did research and found a '93 SC400 with aftermarket exhaust and 240,000 miles, which he bought for $1500. It looked like a piece of crap and died twice on the 25 mile drive home. Nevertheless, he wanted to take on the project.

He joined the forum under the name ItsaV8. Here's his first post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...cylinders.html

So, about a year later one of his co-workers approached him. Jeff's elderly father had passed away and left him with a stock low mileage 95 SC400. Jeff didn't really want it as he was just starting a family and didn't need a coupe. He asked Daniel if he would take it off his hands. $350 later, Daniel had a beautiful '95 400 with only 130,000 miles and an immaculate interior. The only real issue was that the car didn't have Bluetooth. It joined the black '93 SC on the driveway.

This car became Daniel's daily driver. The '93 SC was going to be turned into a track car. Daniel stripped all the non-essential items, such as airbag, passenger seat, insulation, and other items. He was planning on a transmission swap from a 240sx and had bought a supercharger to install. He did take his '95 to the track a few times. Those were fun times.

He kept the '95 mostly stock, only doing a resonator delete. We drove it to Las Vegas and I even borrowed it on occasion when he wanted my truck.

Unfortunately, it was also the last thing he ever saw. A little over a month ago, he and a buddy were driving a back highway in Nevada when something caused them to swerve, spin around, and literally fly backwards into a ravine, killing both instantly. The items in the trunk were pushed violently into the passenger cabin and struck them. No one suffered.

So, here I am, with his 1993 SC 400. It starts and runs but will need the transmission swap asap. Also, it is too low. I plan to make this a weekend driver. I'll take the KA24DE and install it. I'll put in the airbag, a new steering wheel, new stereo, add back in the insulation, and then make it comfortable.

I'll start a build thread to document the progress.

Kai

Last edited by perfctreig; 11-02-20 at 04:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by perfctreig:
simon21 (11-04-20), TitanG545 (11-09-20)
Old 11-05-20, 09:40 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I understand now why you said what you did in your last post. I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss and can't imagine how one must feel. I adore that you kept that car of his and that you and your wife plan to work on it together in his memory. Please share your experience with us as we'd love to see your project. Best wishes to you and your family, sir.
perfctreig (11-10-20)
Old 11-09-20, 03:54 AM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by perfctreig

This is a tough post to write. Stick with it and hear me out: My name is Kai, and I am a Lexus SC400 owner.

I’ve been a moderate fan of the Lexus SC since ‘98 or ‘99. Our lead sales rep at the company I worked at had a SC300. I believe it was baroque red metallic or Bordeaux pearl, looking at the color codes. I very much enjoyed riding to customers' sites in that car. Never thought much of them again until a few years ago, when my then 17-year-old son decided he'd fall in love with the SC400. He had bought a project 1965 Chevy Corvair but had lost interest after he really understood how not fast Corvairs were.

Having graduated high school and working full time as a data center administrator, he had money to put into a car. So, he did research and found a '93 SC400 with aftermarket exhaust and 240,000 miles, which he bought for $1500. It looked like a piece of crap and died twice on the 25 mile drive home. Nevertheless, he wanted to take on the project.

He joined the forum under the name ItsaV8. Here's his first post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...cylinders.html

So, about a year later one of his co-workers approached him. Jeff's elderly father had passed away and left him with a stock low mileage 95 SC400. Jeff didn't really want it as he was just starting a family and didn't need a coupe. He asked Daniel if he would take it off his hands. $350 later, Daniel had a beautiful '95 400 with only 130,000 miles and an immaculate interior. The only real issue was that the car didn't have Bluetooth. It joined the black '93 SC on the driveway.

This car became Daniel's daily driver. The '93 SC was going to be turned into a track car. Daniel stripped all the non-essential items, such as airbag, passenger seat, insulation, and other items. He was planning on a transmission swap from a 240sx and had bought a supercharger to install. He did take his '95 to the track a few times. Those were fun times.

He kept the '95 mostly stock, only doing a resonator delete. We drove it to Las Vegas and I even borrowed it on occasion when he wanted my truck.

Unfortunately, it was also the last thing he ever saw. A little over a month ago, he and a buddy were driving a back highway in Nevada when something caused them to swerve, spin around, and literally fly backwards into a ravine, killing both instantly. The items in the trunk were pushed violently into the passenger cabin and struck them. No one suffered.

So, here I am, with his 1993 SC 400. It starts and runs but will need the transmission swap asap. Also, it is too low. I plan to make this a weekend driver. I'll take the KA24DE and install it. I'll put in the airbag, a new steering wheel, new stereo, add back in the insulation, and then make it comfortable.

I'll start a build thread to document the progress.

Kai
DAMN I think that might be one of the hardest thing for a parent, burying a child. So for your loss, however with this SC you will now always have a piece of Daniel.
The following 2 users liked this post by TitanG545:
perfctreig (11-10-20), sc300nah (05-09-21)
Old 11-18-20, 08:07 AM
cad58y
10th Gear

Hello from Texas. New to the Lexus forum but a long time contributor on other forums. Came close to purchasing a SC 400 in the mid 90’s but a divorce got in the way and I moved on to other cars. Started looking at SC 300’s a few months ago and recently purchased a white 300 with 38k miles. I will have a bunch of maintenance questions. Thanks in advance.

The following 2 users liked this post by cad58y:
DaveGS4 (11-19-20), ThomasGS4 (01-19-21)
Old 11-18-20, 10:39 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cad58y
Hello from Texas. New to the Lexus forum but a long time contributor on other forums. Came close to purchasing a SC 400 in the mid 90’s but a divorce got in the way and I moved on to other cars. Started looking at SC 300’s a few months ago and recently purchased a white 300 with 38k miles. I will have a bunch of maintenance questions. Thanks in advance.

welcome! Where on earth and for how much did you manage to find such a low mileage car?! Estate sale I lm guessing? This car will last you decades if cared for.
sc300nah (05-09-21)
Old 11-18-20, 12:13 PM
cad58y
10th Gear

Yes it came out of an estate in Florida and I happily paid a premium of 14k. Serpentine belt just changed by PO. Timing belt replaced and transmission fluid changed 3 years ago when new tires were mounted. Wife drove it back from Florida and loves it. She insisted on the auto version.
Old 11-18-20, 02:50 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Don't mind me, just cleaning up the drool from that beauty. Awesome pickup. I'd spend the 14k all day long for a perfect/mint SC.

Quick Reply: SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!