Reasons for keeping the SC over a Supra

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 09:51 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BenStoked
you put targa top as a pro, most mkv owners prefer a hardtop (in fact, they're more sought after).
The Supra has the "Cool" factor, and.... well, that's about it.
Everything else about a Supra can be said about the SC; same drivetrain, same suspension (which is what makes the Supra "Sporty." Stock SC vs. Stock Supra, the supra weighs less, but for the price difference, you can get carbon fiber everything, and knock that weight difference right off (and STILL have money for a quality paint job).
I say "SC," it's more low-key in the rice community. I mean, common, how many people in an SC get revved at to race on a daily basis?
I get revved at quite a bit. Those muscle cars just won't leave me alone.

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
For the price of a used gte getrag supra I could have a bad *** built turbo 5 speed sc400 (with the 1uz). I think.thats more unique than a supra and I think the value would be great!
I think building a turbo 5-speed SC400 would be really cool. I'd rather have a turbo 1UZ/3UZ over the default 2JZ setup.
Old 12-02-11, 09:54 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ exactly!
Old 12-02-11, 11:26 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few things for you to think about

Supras come with leather seats (TT)
na mkiv supra= sc300 so you're back to square one. Converted NA MKIV's won't hold it's value or be worth like an original TT.
If you're not all about performance or looks stay away from supra's

"SC, it's more low-key in the rice community"
I don't know where this guy has been at but the car is well know in our community
Old 12-03-11, 02:27 AM
Thedriven
Driver School Candidate

I don't know where this guy has been at but the car is well know in our community
I think what he means is its more eye catching and more likely to be stolen, the supra that is.
Old 12-03-11, 05:24 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by SEXC
I have a few things for you to think about

Supras come with leather seats (TT)
na mkiv supra= sc300 so you're back to square one. Converted NA MKIV's won't hold it's value or be worth like an original TT.
If you're not all about performance or looks stay away from supra's

You make a good point on the converted NA Supras. I've seen so many NA swapped and NA-T Supras sell for a lot less than an original Supra TT. It's really no different than having an SC300.
Old 12-03-11, 07:22 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insuring an SC is almost free where a Supra is, well, nowhere close

The Supra is a great car but not worth anything near their inflated pricing. You can thank movies and video games for keeping the demand like it is. Sure they have potential but so does the SC, yet people give away a whole SC for under a grand. I'm sorry but they just shouldn't be $25k+ cars after almost 20 years. Maybe part of it is that Toyota never had a successor to the MK4?

They can thank the legions of children who were in grade school when TF&F first came out and have been dreaming of owning a car with loose floorboards ever since. Danger to manifold!
Old 12-03-11, 07:46 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Moojohn has a one great point about insurance, And i gave it a thought Id keep my paid off
Sc and modify it rather than spending mor $$ and more $$$ on a supra.
Old 12-03-11, 10:26 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been faced with this dilemma before, Supra or SC. With all the money I've invested, I could have easy brought a TT supra with low mileage with all the APU upgrades. I decided against it because I could not see myself selling the SC.

Another reason to for me to not buy a supra. Its very difficult to make a Supra stand out from the crowd of thousands of Supras that are extremely fast and look great. In the SC community, looks and performance most of the time comes mutually exclusive. If you look around in the forums most people either concentrate entirely on performance or entirely on aesthetics but rarely to you see both executed well at the same time. A fully all out built SC is more exclusive than a all out built Supra. Something to think about.

in the end, they are both great bulletproof cars with a lot of potential

Last edited by One HoT; 12-03-11 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-03-11, 10:37 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by One HoT
I've been faced with this dilemma before, Supra or SC. With all the money I've invested, I could have easy brought a TT supra with low mileage with all the APU upgrades. I decided against it because I could not see myself selling the SC.

Another reason to for me to buy a supra. Its very difficult to make a Supra stand out from the crowd of thousands of Supras that are extremely fast and look great. In the SC community, looks and performance most of the time comes mutually exclusive. If you look around in the forums most people either concentrate entirely on performance or entirely on aesthetics but rarely to you see both executed well at the same time. A fully all out built SC is more exclusive than a all out built Supra. Something to think about.

in the end, they are both great bulletproof cars with a lot of potential
i was thinking along the same lines. IMO, mostly all the body kits for the supra look like something out the fast and furious and a lot of supra owners keep supras stock bodied. You'll never see supras slammed to the ground on bags, jdm kits all around and with a fully built race engine & transmission.
Old 12-03-11, 10:55 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive always wanted a Supra MK4, still do & one day Ill have one. Value is awesome & SC's will always be easy to find. Get the Supra!!
Old 12-03-11, 03:29 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
i was thinking along the same lines. IMO, mostly all the body kits for the supra look like something out the fast and furious and a lot of supra owners keep supras stock bodied. You'll never see supras slammed to the ground on bags, jdm kits all around and with a fully built race engine & transmission.
You will never see supras with bags or other similar ricer mods. I would guess the supra community has less then 3% ricers compare to other forums. Believe or not there's quite a few supras with jdm kits. Just because the kits aren't ugly it doesn't mean they are not jdm. Lastly California has quite a few supras with nice body kits and 3.4 hks stroker kits running over 1k whp.
Old 12-03-11, 05:11 PM
2cars4Trbo
Rookie

This is blasphemy
Old 12-03-11, 09:43 PM
Biologist
Driver School Candidate

supras do have foglights buddy lol also you should have included the supra for NO CUPHOLDERS for cons also... just a few pointers.

Last edited by Biologist; 12-03-11 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-03-11, 10:06 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Is go for the supra...another sc can be had cheap
Old 12-04-11, 01:13 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SEXC
You will never see supras with bags or other similar ricer mods. I would guess the supra community has less then 3% ricers compare to other forums. Believe or not there's quite a few supras with jdm kits. Just because the kits aren't ugly it doesn't mean they are not jdm. Lastly California has quite a few supras with nice body kits and 3.4 hks stroker kits running over 1k whp.
And i agree, you'll probably never see a supra go VIP, or come anywhere to touching it. However, I dont agree with what you call rice. I wouldn't call the VIP, scraping, slammed with 18kg/mm coilovers, negative offset cambered rims, body kits, ICE'd out or bagged rides rice.

It is IMHO that nearly all body kits look like rice on the supra. If there are any good looking kits, lmk.

Quick Reply: Reasons for keeping the SC over a Supra