SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Reasons for keeping the SC over a Supra

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 07:52 PM
StuntKing
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasons for keeping the SC over a Supra

Whats up guys, I've owned my SC for the past 6 years and got it because I didn't have the money for a supra at the time. But now I have the opportunity to buy my friends supra, but I would have to sell my SC first before I went ahead and bought a supra. Now before I do so, there are a couple of things that I like & dont like about the SC & the supra so i want to make sure this is really what I want and if its worth it & i wanted to get everyones opinions.

**Also the 2jzgte & 6speed isn't a factor because I was planning on doing the swap in the next few months to the sc if i dont get the supra**

Some things i've been thinking about

Supra Pros:
Holds its value better
Targa Top
Sportier
Driver side (cockpit style)
Hatchback
aftermarket parts

Supra Cons:
Interior - SC has full leather
Big exhaust/mufflers
No fog lights

SC Pros:
Full leather interior
lextech lighting gauges
foglights
dual exhaust (i have 3" exhaust with oval mufflers & oval tips, makes it look classy/sporty)

SC Cons:
Doesn't hold its value
doesn't look as sporty as supra
kind of dont like the high beams separate from the low beams

any help would be appreciated! thanks guys
Old 12-02-11, 08:14 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

imo i honestly love the sc, i own one but a friend of mine owned a rhd supra for a while and rode in it quite a bit.

for me exterior i think both look great with quite a few options for the sc between the 92 style 97 style or a nice AC kit which i personally cant figure out which i like best overall..

interior wise i do agree the cockpit style supra feels a lot sportier however i definitely prefer the sc interior without a doubt, way classier and more comfortable.

the deciding factor for me would be the value....cant deny the value of a clean supra..its one of the few cars that aren't 40+ yrs old that retain exceptional value...for this reason i would probably go with it over the sc..just because u can dump 20K into an sc and be way nicer then a stock tt supra...yet the supra will still fetch more money 9/10 times.

if they were both worth the same, id definitely without a doubt go for an sc.
Old 12-02-11, 08:20 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stuntking, you make some pretty valid points...but if it was me I'd keep the lexus. I use to want a Supra too back in the days, but since then changed direction. I love my SC, and in my opinion I think it's a bit more comfortable then the Supra. I agree the Supra does hold it's value better then the SC-it also draws more unwanted attention then then SC too (something to think about)?Take in consideration what you may be getting ready to spend on a Supra...you already have the SC, why go with the swap and save a little money? I mean if you buy the Supra right now, are you going to be happy with it the way it is? No, you won't because the urge to make more power will get the best of you. So you spend big bucks to get the Supra, now you're spending even more bucks to get the power! I know I may get flamed for saying this, but I think the SC is a better deal overall. The SC isn't to be taken lightly neither, let's look at some of the SCs we have here on the forum that's producing big numbers. Prime example...TEELEX with a 1000plus out of his SC. "A wolf in sheep's clothing"! Seriously, I wish you all the best with your decision...just voicing my two cents-since you asked.

Steve
Old 12-02-11, 08:29 PM
StuntKing
Driver

Originally Posted by imDementeD
interior wise i do agree the cockpit style supra feels a lot sportier however i definitely prefer the sc interior without a doubt, way classier and more comfortable.

the deciding factor for me would be the value....cant deny the value of a clean supra..its one of the few cars that aren't 40+ yrs old that retain exceptional value...for this reason i would probably go with it over the sc..just because u can dump 20K into an sc and be way nicer then a stock tt supra...yet the supra will still fetch more money 9/10 times.

if they were both worth the same, id definitely without a doubt go for an sc.
well as far as interior, i agree but im looking to get a 98-05 gs soon so i figure if i want to ride in something classy/comfortable i could take the gs...but having 2 cars with nice interiors wont be bad either

but the value is a major factor for me too...if i wanted to sell my sc i would lose so much money or it would take forever to sell it which is one reason why idk if i'm going to be able to get a supra
Old 12-02-11, 08:31 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

I like my SC and love that I have a project car. And id love to have a supra to rub in some peoples faces lol.
Old 12-02-11, 08:38 PM
StuntKing
Driver

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Stuntking, you make some pretty valid points...but if it was me I'd keep the lexus. I use to want a Supra too back in the days, but since then changed direction. I love my SC, and in my opinion I think it's a bit more comfortable then the Supra. I agree the Supra does hold it's value better then the SC-it also draws more unwanted attention then then SC too (something to think about)?Take in consideration what you may be getting ready to spend on a Supra...you already have the SC, why go with the swap and save a little money? I mean if you buy the Supra right now, are you going to be happy with it the way it is? No, you won't because the urge to make more power will get the best of you. So you spend big bucks to get the Supra, now you're spending even more bucks to get the power! I know I may get flamed for saying this, but I think the SC is a better deal overall. The SC isn't to be taken lightly neither, let's look at some of the SCs we have here on the forum that's producing big numbers. Prime example...TEELEX with a 1000plus out of his SC. "A wolf in sheep's clothing"! Seriously, I wish you all the best with your decision...just voicing my two cents-since you asked.

Steve
I feel the SC is more comfortable too...everytime i read that the supra seats are an upgrade to the SC i kind of laugh because i think the seats in the SC are sooo much more comfortable haha.

But as far as power goes, my friends supra is a 5speed N/A supra but it only has 57000 miles on it and he'd sell it to me around the $12000 range and to me thats a good deal. But i feel like if i were to spend the money on a 2jz/6speed swap on a supra i wouldn't lose much if i had to sell the car for whatever reason as to the SC because the sc isn't as popular.
Old 12-02-11, 08:40 PM
StuntKing
Driver

Originally Posted by Arkansas
And id love to have a supra to rub in some peoples faces lol.
haha me too, thats why i want to make sure i really want one cuz sometimes i feel the same way!
Old 12-02-11, 08:46 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

Anybody can bolt on parts to a supra....but SCs take reason and devotion to make thiers totally unique. Ive only heard of 1 other SC near me, but have heard that a guys 30 miles away from me has 5 mkiv supras. Imma just build my 400 to be a surprise to people who dont know what an SC is
Old 12-02-11, 08:51 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Arkansas
I like my SC and love that I have a project car. And id love to have a supra to rub in some peoples faces lol.
I too would love to own a Supra for that very reason. Around here, Supras seem to get more attention than even the NSX, RX-7, and some exotics.
Old 12-02-11, 09:02 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StuntKing
I feel the SC is more comfortable too...everytime i read that the supra seats are an upgrade to the SC i kind of laugh because i think the seats in the SC are sooo much more comfortable haha.

But as far as power goes, my friends supra is a 5speed N/A supra but it only has 57000 miles on it and he'd sell it to me around the $12000 range and to me thats a good deal. But i feel like if i were to spend the money on a 2jz/6speed swap on a supra i wouldn't lose much if i had to sell the car for whatever reason as to the SC because the sc isn't as popular.
I understand your point...and now that I know the price-seems like a good deal, especially given those low miles. And you're right, you wouldn't loose money if you converted the NA to the 2jzgte/6speed...either way, wish you all the best luck with it!
Old 12-02-11, 09:09 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

DO IT! Who cares about people opinions, make yourself happy. I would sell my SC for a Supra in a heart beat.
Old 12-02-11, 09:11 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you put targa top as a pro, most mkv owners prefer a hardtop (in fact, they're more sought after).
The Supra has the "Cool" factor, and.... well, that's about it.
Everything else about a Supra can be said about the SC; same drivetrain, same suspension (which is what makes the Supra "Sporty." Stock SC vs. Stock Supra, the supra weighs less, but for the price difference, you can get carbon fiber everything, and knock that weight difference right off (and STILL have money for a quality paint job).
I say "SC," it's more low-key in the rice community. I mean, common, how many people in an SC get revved at to race on a daily basis?
Old 12-02-11, 09:18 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I dont know guys, I love my sc, but were talking about mint cherry supra with 57k on the dash(its better be an original vehicle with a clean title).
Ofcourse depending on the color, targa, suspension mods, and wheels. I would probably do it man if this is a legit car with the right paperwork heck yea. If you want a performance car get it, if you want a luxury car that will have a 2jzgte/6speed keep it. But for a 57k mile car this should be a beautiful vehicle to look at in a stock form anyway.

Have any pics?
Old 12-02-11, 09:33 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the price of a used gte getrag supra I could have a bad *** built turbo 5 speed sc400 (with the 1uz). I think.thats more unique than a supra and I think the value would be great!
Old 12-02-11, 09:51 PM
SCott300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was facing the same decision that you are trying to make, this is my deal!
This past spring I was forced to sell my custom GSXR1000, that I used, to drag race with and street ride as well, to pay medical bills. Now I am back on my feet and everything is basicly back to norman, so I was thinking about selling my SC and getting a supra, bc like many others I love the body and the Targa of the Supra.
This is how I made my decision. To start, the supra's interior space between the back seat and the front seat is three inches closer, which might not seem like much, but @ 6'1", it is the difference between being able to have a passenger ride in the back seat or not. I have a 3yr old son that I want to be able to ride in the car when my wife and I decide to go for a cruise and in the Supra, it would not work as well for us. So with the $20,000+ that I would spend on purchasing a Supra. I can take $10,000 of it and put it into my SC's motor and have a fun to drive and pretty fast street car, and the other $10,000 I can use to build another turbo GSXR1000, that will blow the doors off both of them. The SC might not be as rare as the Supra, but around here one that is modified is definitely uncommon. Mom always said, "dont put all your eggs in one basket", so for once I am going to listen!

Last edited by SCott300; 12-02-11 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Reasons for keeping the SC over a Supra