SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

First things to invest into SC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 01:18 PM
Inudate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking First things to invest into SC?

Hey CL, I'm new here as you can probably tell but I tend to linger around and read posts from time to time (creeper I know ) But I have a question and I hope to get a good answer from you guys.

I'm buying a 99' SC300 this weekend (well, hopefully) and I'd like to know what I should invest into it first (example. Intake, coilovers, rims, etc.) ..I've asked a few friends but I get mixed answers, so I'd rather ask you guys. And uhm, my budget at the moment is 2K and the car is going to be a daily (if it means anything)

Thanks in advance

Edit: I guess I forgot to mention that I will get the car maintenanced first! The 2k go into the car after I make sure she is running like brand new

Last edited by Inudate; 12-07-11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 01:22 PM
elijah5590
Driver School Candidate

coils for a fist mod always make a huge difference
just make sure the car is up to par with maintence n such
but coils n some decent rims are the way to go
Old 12-07-11, 01:25 PM
Inudate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by elijah5590
coils for a fist mod always make a huge difference
just make sure the car is up to par with maintence n such
but coils n some decent rims are the way to go
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned invest AFTER taking it in for maintenance. But thanks for the answer, do you recommend a certain brand of coilovers?
Old 12-07-11, 01:28 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maintenance maintenance maintenance!

Depending on now many miles the car has, that could use up most of your $2k. Things I suggest looking at are; bushings, timing belt, transmission mount, water pump, and anything else thats a common wear part. Get the car running like new, then modding will be much easier!
Old 12-07-11, 01:33 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check all fluids, especially the coolant system. Make sure your clutch fan is in good order. If it fails you are going to blow a head gasket and have serious issues. Check out the condition of your power steering fluid. If it's not cherry red, flush that. Check your brake fluid. If it's black, bleed them. Of course check your oil level/condition as well. Remove timing belt cover and inspect belt. How many miles does your car have? Inspect your serp belt as well. Check the condition of your main ground cable connections and look for any corrosion. If there is any corrosion, disconnect each point and sand these areas. Check out your throttle body and see if there is any major carbon buildup in that area including the IACV. Check the exhaust for any leaks. Check the condition of your control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, rack bushings, steering bushings, etc. and replace if necessary. Replace the air filter if needed.

After the normal maintenance items are completed, I would look into new brakes and tires. Brakes help you stop, tires keep you on the road. After that it's fun and games from there. Good luck, post some pics if you purchase it.

Last edited by Tabaka; 12-07-11 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 01:36 PM
Inudate
Driver School Candidate

@scENFORCER

Sorry, sorry! I fixed my post, haha. So AFTER, maintenance, maintenance, maintenance! What should I do? Coilovers? Intake? I need more suggestions!
Old 12-07-11, 01:38 PM
Inudate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Check all fluids, especially the coolant system. Make sure your clutch fan is in good order. If it fails you are going to blow a head gasket and have serious issues. Check out the condition of your power steering fluid. If it's not cherry red, flush that. Check your brake fluid. If it's black, bleed them. Of course check your oil level/condition as well. Remove timing belt cover and inspect belt. How many miles does your car have? Inspect your serp belt as well. Check the condition of your main ground cable connections and look for any corrosion. If there is any corrosion, disconnect each point and sand these areas. Check out your throttle body and see if there is any major carbon buildup in that area including the IACV. Check the exhaust for any leaks. Check the condition of your control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, rack bushings, steering bushings, etc. and replace if necessary. Replace the air filter if needed.

After the normal maintenance items are completely, I would look into new brakes and tires. Brakes help you stop, tires keep you on the road. After that it's fun and games from there. Good luck, post some pics if you purchase it.
Wooh, that's alot, BUT I'm sure Lexus checks for all of that right? And the car has 27k miles As for tires and brakes, it has brand new tires and brakes, so that's something to cross off the check list, and thanks, if I do buy it I'll make sure to put pics up.
Old 12-07-11, 01:41 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Coilovers, wheels, bigger brakes.
Old 12-07-11, 01:45 PM
Inudate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Coilovers, wheels, bigger brakes.
Awesome, now I'm just wondering what brand coilovers? Or a good one you'd recommend?
Old 12-07-11, 02:08 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Maintenance maintenance maintenance!
Stole the words right outta my mouth

After that I would get wheels an tires. HID's and a nice compound regardless the current condition.

Last edited by ScBouncE; 12-07-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 02:15 PM
Inudate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
Stole the words right outta my mouth

After that I would get wheels an tires. HID's and a nice compound regardless the current condition.
Sounds good, thanks for the help
Old 12-07-11, 02:29 PM
Josh400
Driver

As for coilovers. I got BCR coilovers. My friends say good things about it and on this forum. So I went a head and bought them. Never look back. If not, Megan coilovers are good as well. Check out the vendor site they got some good deals.
Old 12-07-11, 02:32 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a 99 with 27k miles is surely a gem. good luck with her.
Old 12-07-11, 02:38 PM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

Can I get some info on the car? Which dealer? What time you gonna be there? So I can get there before you..haha!! Good luck man!
Old 12-07-11, 02:42 PM
Inudate
Driver School Candidate

@Josh400: Oh, a friend told me about Megan coils, I'm guessing they must be worth it then
@Kohinoor: Thanks Hopefully she'll be mine soon enough!
@AlphaMotor: Haha, thanks!

I appreciate all the replies guys!

Quick Reply: First things to invest into SC?