SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Opinions! BMW to Lexus SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11 | 08:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by AZBMW
Thats the thing you guys didn't know.. is how problematic it has been for me.
Pffftttt I own a 4.4i X5 you ain't tell me nuttin about problems.
Old 12-10-11 | 09:03 PM
unknown159
Pole Position

bmw = headache i know from experience......... if i was you i would look for another sc perferbly stock and build on it you dont know the history behind that gte that guys gonna tell you what you wanna hear so he can get rid of it... soon as you get it ....its just gonna be downhill from there i also know this becuase i seen it happen to someone...i would never buy a car thats boosted already unless i know the person and the car personally...

Last edited by unknown159; 12-10-11 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-10-11 | 09:12 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

i love the sc, but would keep the beamer and build an sc from the beginning. Hard choice though
Old 12-10-11 | 10:21 PM
copermn
Rookie

Just take it for a test drive, do a compression test, check the suspension, look for rust, etc etc. And bring a friend or two with you to check it out and give you second/third opinions on it. I would do the trade if I were you, just make sure it's all in working order.
Old 12-11-11 | 12:08 AM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Pffftttt I own a 4.4i X5 you ain't tell me nuttin about problems.
Lol...same engine, different boat
Old 12-11-11 | 04:23 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MooJohn
I see it's the same over here on CL -- the other guy "beats up" his modded car whereas we would carefully drive our custom creations. Everybody demands a clean slate so they can go do what the other guy has already done.

I would hope that anyone who does a swap like this could be counted on to change their oil, check other fluids, and do regular maintenance moreso than the average owner. A modded car should be in better shape 99% of the time. WOT is a valid operating condition of an engine and does not constitute abuse.

It's been the same situation on every car forum I've ever been on. "Noooo, don't buy the modded vehicle. Wait for a pristine example and thrash it yourself!" You can tell when a project wasn't done properly. If it's held together with spit and duct tape, walk away! If it was done right, buy and enjoy.
You are missing the point. The guy didnt take all the time and money to turn his car into a 415 hp car just to baby it.

Chances are its been pushed to its limits on the track and on the street, peeling rubber, redlining , showing off , etc.....

Now hes probably beaten the car half to death and feels like its time to get rid of it.

How many of these modded engine swapped cars have underlying issues of one kind or another,,,,most of them.
Originally Posted by unknown159
bmw = headache i know from experience......... if i was you i would look for another sc perferbly stock and build on it you dont know the history behind that gte that guys gonna tell you what you wanna hear so he can get rid of it... soon as you get it ....its just gonna be downhill from there i also know this becuase i seen it happen to someone...i would never buy a car thats boosted already unless i know the person and the car personally...
Yep id say try to trade your car for a nice clean stockie , ideally driven by an older gent or couple.

And for the record I hate bmw's, not because of how they look or drive but because they are notoroiouslly unrealiable and problematic.

Put your bmw for sale or trade and try to find something better, just my opinion .
Old 12-11-11 | 01:27 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Because it's always better when you're the one at full throttle, redline, peeling rubber, etc, etc. You're just enjoying the power whereas the other guy is destroying the car before dumping it.

It's just a common sentiment on any car (or truck) board that's ever existed. For a car that came as a turbo, don't buy one with a bigger turbo & all the trimmings - it could be abused! Buy one and pay retail for all those parts so you can drive it the exact same way. Skip that car with the aftermarket intake & tuner. That means he liked to drive it fast -- exactly like the new owner plans to drive it!

A compression test will show engine health, and there's no way to disguise the results. You can drive it and see how happy the transmission and driveline is. If it's ok, there's no reason not to buy the car and continue to drive it any way you want to. I know I've never dropped a big turbo & fuel system onto a car just to see what kind of cruise mileage it can get and it's hypocritical to think anyone else would.

I can only assume the same thing plagues forums for cars that were fast to begin with. I guess 99% of Corvettes for sale have zero mods and were driven only on weekends by retired elementary school librarians. Even if they weren't, that's probably how the ad reads!
Old 12-11-11 | 11:15 PM
AZBMW
Driver School Candidate

I can't expect it to be any less reliable than my 540i is. From what I see, hear, and remember the 2JZ looks easy (although I could be wrong) all his parts are new, mature dude.. so not expecting a problem, but a better car.