SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Gona buy a SC400! Lots of qustions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 01:05 PM
SpitfireV8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gona buy a SC400! Lots of qustions!

Hi everyone. I am probably going to buy a 1998-2000 Lexus SC400. I have spent a few months looking online for consumer reviews, specs, pros, cons, etc to learn how good this beautiful car is. So far this car looks to give me a good balance of sportiness, luxury, and reliability. I have some questions to owners.
• How reliable is it? If something does tend to break, what is it?
• Is it a good choice as an everyday car?
• Will the RWD work in snow? (I live in Michigan)
• What are some “must have” performance parts?
• Will these performance parts affect my reliability?
• I know the 98-2000 years have 30 more ponies, but are they a better choice than the 92-1997?
• Is it a bad idea to buy one with over 100K on it?

Thanks everybody!

Last edited by SpitfireV8; 12-10-11 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-10-11, 02:07 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sc400 can and has lasted over 500k miles not to mention the 1uzfe is one of the most reliable engines on the planet!

the 98-00 has the vvti v8 which is just as reliable as the early version and I would not wan't to ever attempt to drive one in the snow without an LSD which no sc ever came with.
Old 12-10-11, 02:15 PM
SpitfireV8
Driver School Candidate

Is it a big job to install a LSD? Where would I get one from?
Old 12-10-11, 02:49 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SpitfireV8
Hi everyone. I am probably going to buy a 1998-2000 Lexus SC400. I have spent a few months looking online for consumer reviews, specs, pros, cons, etc to learn how good this beautiful car is. So far this car looks to give me a good balance of sportiness, luxury, and reliability. I have some questions to owners.
• How reliable is it? If something does tend to break, what is it?
• Is it a good choice as an everyday car?
• Will the RWD work in snow? (I live in Michigan)
• What are some “must have” performance parts?
• Will these performance parts affect my reliability?
• I know the 98-2000 years have 30 more ponies, but are they a better choice than the 92-1997?
• Is it a bad idea to buy one with over 100K on it?

Thanks everybody!
Not to sound unwelcoming, but a lot of your questions could be answered just by a simple search for future reference.

Pretty much all of your questions can be answered by viewing this site: http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html
Old 12-10-11, 05:28 PM
SpitfireV8
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! That site is very helpful.
Old 12-10-11, 08:24 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You live in Michigan, Just stick with your FWD Acura Legend...You'll probably regret trying to drive a high-powered RWD in the snow anyways.
Old 12-10-11, 08:34 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As mentioned above the 1uz in the SC is damn near bulletproof, they are extremely reliable. Dont worry about buying one with over 100,000 miles, hell it'll be hard to find one with under 100,000 miles. A SC will be perfect for a daily driver too. You can drive almost any rwd car in the snow as long as you know how to control it.
Old 12-11-11, 01:31 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wooooo waait. a minute. In the snow/ice here in DFW. That would be Dallas/Ft Worth TX. You WANT the open diff to give you that 1 wheel peel. SO that *** end dont slide to the side. My SC LSD sucks in the sleat/snow we have here. I say use the SNOW button & keep her on a roooolllllll. Then the SC is all goood. Other than that YOUR on your own,
Old 12-11-11, 01:38 AM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

if your still not convinced on the sc's reliability, this should change your mind pretty quick
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-sc-ever.html
Old 12-11-11, 02:10 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
Wooooo waait. a minute. In the snow/ice here in DFW. That would be Dallas/Ft Worth TX. You WANT the open diff to give you that 1 wheel peel. SO that *** end dont slide to the side. My SC LSD sucks in the sleat/snow we have here. I say use the SNOW button & keep her on a roooolllllll. Then the SC is all goood. Other than that YOUR on your own,
I dont think thats correct man, the wheel with less grip gets more power with open dif. or atleast how i feel my car act.
Def isnt a fun in the snow car, but if u learn how to control it and when to accelerate and decelerate, you can be pretty safe on snow. Assuming your from michigan, im sure u know the importance of snow tires. Great investment, especially with liability insurance.
Old 12-11-11, 05:19 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

I have track control on my sc4 and it is drives absolutely amazing in snow.

Lat year I didnt get stuck even once, best winter driving car ive ever owned by far.

I didnt even put snow tires on either, I was on 20 inch nankangs belive it or not.
Old 12-11-11, 06:06 AM
SpitfireV8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NaturalJZ
I dont think thats correct man, the wheel with less grip gets more power with open dif. or atleast how i feel my car act.
Def isnt a fun in the snow car, but if u learn how to control it and when to accelerate and decelerate, you can be pretty safe on snow. Assuming your from michigan, im sure u know the importance of snow tires. Great investment, especially with liability insurance.
That is very true man. Snow tires do help alot. That reminds me of another question I have. What is insurance like on the SC400? I know it's ridiculous for most RWD sports cars. Vetts, 300zxs, mustangs. Is the SC any better?
Old 12-11-11, 06:44 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireV8
That is very true man. Snow tires do help alot. That reminds me of another question I have. What is insurance like on the SC400? I know it's ridiculous for most RWD sports cars. Vetts, 300zxs, mustangs. Is the SC any better?
Less than half of what my 350Z runs me for just about the same coverage. Very reasonable with Geico
Old 12-11-11, 07:24 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he's new. come on people. he only has 4 posts. lay off the "use the search button"
Old 12-11-11, 07:24 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by levie
if your still not convinced on the sc's reliability, this should change your mind pretty quick
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-sc-ever.html
Haha, Levie-NICE! As far as the SC 400 are you hell bent on a 400? What's your overall goal? Are you looking to just drive it, or are you looking into serious mods, i.e. engine swap, etc. If so, I'd go with a used SC 300 92-95 years because of emissions exemptions. If interested, let me know and I'll send you a PM with a SC 300 5 speed, that is marked under 3k...the plus is it's located near you and you'll have some wiggle room on the price? Either way good luck!

Quick Reply: Gona buy a SC400! Lots of qustions!