SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Contemplating SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 07:27 PM
Bape53
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating SC

Whats up everyone let me first introduce myself; my name is matthew I'm a 21 year college student living in Jackson, Ms. I used to own a scion tc, but I was in a car wreak. Got the insurance money back but my mom and I used it to pay out other things. Anyway I am thinking about buy a SC300. I join the forum like 2 weeks back and I have been reading ever since.

My plan for my sc, if I buy one, is for it to be a daily driver. Through searching the forum I plan to probably do Ls400 big brake, new bushing and PBM coilovers for suspension first. After I take care of suspension I would most likely do the shine auto kit and a new set of wheels.

After the exterior would then come interior. Finally, some where down the road an engine swap.

I just winding what everyone opinions are about all these. Plus, do you think an sc would be a reasonable DD for a College student about to go to law school. I know that it will most depend on what kind of quality the SC is in when I buy it, but just want to hear people opinions.
Old 12-20-11, 08:22 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

a body kit, coilovers, and a nice set of wheels make these cars look amazing. yes, a lexus is VERY dependable and reliable, if in very good condition and has been maintained right of course
Old 12-20-11, 11:31 PM
Bape53
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by levie
a body kit, coilovers, and a nice set of wheels make these cars look amazing. yes, a lexus is VERY dependable and reliable, if in very good condition and has been maintained right of course
Yeah I know a good body kit makes all the wonders on this car. Question??? I have search and seen many different kits; I like the Shine auto, the 97 front with the Big Win lip, and other 97 fronts with different lips like the prelip.

My question is what side and rear do people do with the Big win front lip.
Old 12-21-11, 05:44 AM
Josh400
Driver

Sup dude? Sc's are great cars but it depends on the condition when you buy one. You get them really cheap but then you think. How long the owner been neglecting the car? Then maybe it becomes a money pit or if your lucky, could be something simple. Since your going to college. I would get a sc that's up to par. That's mean, it's going to cost you but it will be worth it. Oh, just notice you want to do a motor swap. Try to look for a decent one for a good price. Since it's going to be a project/DD. Best of luck to you
Old 12-21-11, 06:16 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you pick one up bro. They are beyond reliable. My car just rolled over 211K and not a single hiccup. You buy a Lexus and some how you end up being a Lexus owner for life. I've owned 4 SC300 5spd's and I plan on purchasing a GS next year. There is something about these cars that suck you in. Go for a test drive in a few to really get a feel for them. Hook up with some SC owners around you and you'll see what I mean.

As far as your question, a lot of guys just run the Big Win front lip solo. I can't really remember anyone doing sides and rear with it. The whole lip kit is 1600 +shipping from L-Tuned Parts. It would be nice to see someone with the whole kit. If you really wanted to though, I don't see why you couldn't just run the Shine Auto sides and rear with it. Check out the classifieds, there is am AUTHENTIC Auto Couture kit for sale right now with slight damage. Worth picking up honestly.

There are some sites I suggest you read. There are the stickies on this forum with a wealth of information about these cars. A majority of D.I.Y. fixes are on here as well. Check out Intellexual Net for even more information about these cars. Yes they are getting older, but these cars can be reliable as hell if maintained properly. Do your research and pick one up ASAP. We are always ready to welcome someone new to the family.
Old 12-21-11, 07:02 AM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

There is nothing to contemplate. This car is very reliable depending on the previous customer! In your case try and find one on CL because we all love our cars and take care of them. If I was still in college like you, my car would be the last thing I wanna dump money into. Girls, booze, and more girls is what you should be spending money on. Keep it simple. Study hard do all the big mods when you graduate and find a job.
Sincerely,
Dad..lol
Old 12-21-11, 08:18 AM
Josh400
Driver

Your a good dad lol^^
Old 12-21-11, 08:34 AM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

i know its been covered, but if you still question its reliability, take a look. and personally is do the full shine auto kit

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-sc-ever.html
Old 12-21-11, 08:35 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Concentrate on school, get an MBA, get a good job, save your money then buy an LFA.
Old 12-21-11, 08:36 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaMotor
There is nothing to contemplate. This car is very reliable depending on the previous customer! In your case try and find one on CL because we all love our cars and take care of them. If I was still in college like you, my car would be the last thing I wanna dump money into. Girls, booze, and more girls is what you should be spending money on. Keep it simple. Study hard do all the big mods when you graduate and find a job.
Sincerely,
Dad..lol
LOL, Dad does have some good points...but if you must get a SC now-try and get one that the maintenance has been up kept (this is if you're not going to be working on it yourself). And as others have stated previously, the SC is very reliable and definitely worth it! Good luck with your venture and remember to keep your eye on the prize (EDUCATION)! Hopefully in two or three years the CL family can say congrats!

P.S.. Ref: A complete BW kit. I think there was a member that had the complete BIG WIN kit...you could search his SN and possibly find some pics of his old car. SN: skypark70

Last edited by lilSCsteve; 12-21-11 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-21-11, 08:45 AM
fatkhoa
Pit Crew

An SC is a very reliable car as long as you treat her right, when i got my first one she had over 255k miles and still ran strong until i got into my accident, i ended up buying another one and getting my brother one, too
Old 12-21-11, 01:08 PM
Bape53
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice, and thank you dad for the good sound advice lol. But yes EDUCATION is my main focus as of right now; second would be well a tie between girls and cars lol. Yes, there is something about a Lexus that just sucks you in, the thing that got me looking at an sc was because I was riding in my friend's, who is fine a** girl (young lady lol), Is350 and feel in love with LEXUS.

Also, thanks for the links, I have been reading non-stop on D.I.Ys and what to look for when buying a SC.

Lastly, hopefully a LFA will be somewhere down the line for me, after I get a IF-S to drive the family around in!!!!
Old 12-21-11, 01:12 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh gosh, another soon to be lawyer... JK... Welcome aboard, things are great with these cars, very addicting. The listed mods are just the beginning on these things, do the motor swap last.. It will complete the entire car, but take your time and do it right.. Again welcome, and Roll Tide..
Old 12-21-11, 01:29 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaMotor
Sincerely,
Dad..lol
Originally Posted by Tabaka
Concentrate on school, get an MBA, get a good job, save your money then buy an LFA.
this forum gives the best advice