SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

93 sc300 burnt out cluster needles

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 10:24 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found some needles on ebay for $56 shipped, not sure if i can post the link. Are those any good?

I want to do this mod as well and add white led's instead of the red. However looking a the thread in the es300 forum left me a little confused. Only one led was wired at the tip to give him that effect, but what about the whole needle length? how many leds would I have to use? and do the resistor setup change? or is it just that i replace the led's in the needle itself with white ones and it'll work? Its burned out atm
Old 01-10-12, 01:25 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what "mod" is it you are wanting to do? i just want to fix mine.
Old 01-11-12, 06:31 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
i found some needles on ebay for $56 shipped, not sure if i can post the link. Are those any good?

I want to do this mod as well and add white led's instead of the red. However looking a the thread in the es300 forum left me a little confused. Only one led was wired at the tip to give him that effect, but what about the whole needle length? how many leds would I have to use? and do the resistor setup change? or is it just that i replace the led's in the needle itself with white ones and it'll work? Its burned out atm
I read that ES thread all the way through. It seems that later ES needles used different technology than the early ones, which that was a cure for --- the later ones apparently don't burn out. He said that he only used single LEDs to keep the repair cheap and simple (the step by step DIY write up, with pictures, is stellar), and also because stringing LEDs would leave little gaps between them (the needle would look like - - - - - ) and reduce resistor space. He, and the other members that tried it, reported that when you drive that way for a little while you forget that the entire length of the needles used to light up. Some people had problems with the needle weight changing, but others loved it (MUCH better than black needles, and cheap). At some point, the member had a set of SC needles made up too, and said to PM him --- but It was an old dated post.

My SC3 is a $1500 car with high miles and a lot of little body dings (I'm guessing past owner lived in an apartment complex or something), so I can't justify big bucks for a new cluster. I thought I'd try that fix for my tach and speedo needles, which are both out, but yesterday saw another thread, in the SC DIYs, that OLT posted. A lot of it was about changing back-light colors with little bulb covers, but OLT seems to also have figured out how to do needles that light all the way in different colors. His write up on that isn't as good, with a step by step, as on the back-lighting, but it sounds like it takes hours to do each needle, and very microscopic solder work.

$56 needles doesn't sound so bad. In 05, when the ES thread was started, I don't think replacement needles were available for love or money. The only drawback to stock replacement, it seems to me, is that they're likely to burn out at some point, just like the originals. The single LED repair w/resistors lasted at least 7 years, and the guy thought it was burn out proof (electronics is not my specialty).
Old 01-11-12, 06:36 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

BTW, if you go for the eBay needles, I wouldn't mind your old ones when you take them out. Then I could build the tip lit ones before I open my cluster.
Old 01-11-12, 10:58 PM
scweetrob
Driver School Candidate

that really isnt a bad deal for needles. my are blown out too. ive just gotten so used to the though its not really a big deal. But all my friends dont understand how i can see my speed lol. I think i might go ahead and buy some as well
Old 01-12-12, 01:25 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

does anyone know what resistance the needles should have when good? im going to get some from a junked sc300 near me and wanted to check before hand while there, otherwise ill just get them and test them on my power supply
Old 01-12-12, 05:56 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hoosier58
I read that ES thread all the way through. It seems that later ES needles used different technology than the early ones, which that was a cure for --- the later ones apparently don't burn out. He said that he only used single LEDs to keep the repair cheap and simple (the step by step DIY write up, with pictures, is stellar), and also because stringing LEDs would leave little gaps between them (the needle would look like - - - - - ) and reduce resistor space. He, and the other members that tried it, reported that when you drive that way for a little while you forget that the entire length of the needles used to light up. Some people had problems with the needle weight changing, but others loved it (MUCH better than black needles, and cheap). At some point, the member had a set of SC needles made up too, and said to PM him --- but It was an old dated post.

My SC3 is a $1500 car with high miles and a lot of little body dings (I'm guessing past owner lived in an apartment complex or something), so I can't justify big bucks for a new cluster. I thought I'd try that fix for my tach and speedo needles, which are both out, but yesterday saw another thread, in the SC DIYs, that OLT posted. A lot of it was about changing back-light colors with little bulb covers, but OLT seems to also have figured out how to do needles that light all the way in different colors. His write up on that isn't as good, with a step by step, as on the back-lighting, but it sounds like it takes hours to do each needle, and very microscopic solder work.

$56 needles doesn't sound so bad. In 05, when the ES thread was started, I don't think replacement needles were available for love or money. The only drawback to stock replacement, it seems to me, is that they're likely to burn out at some point, just like the originals. The single LED repair w/resistors lasted at least 7 years, and the guy thought it was burn out proof (electronics is not my specialty).
Thanks for the information, that was a good read. I would send u the old needles if I do replace them with new needles, hopefully during the coming week or the next. I'll pm you when their ready to ship

Back on topic. To my understanding the resistors act to regulate or "resist" the extra current going through to the needle leds which would increase its lifespan, but whats confusing me is the correct amount of resistance to allow enough current to light up the needles correctly. I remember seeing those led strips for decoration and the connections are just + and - wires, you can cut the strip to your desire, does that mean each led on the strip would have some sort of regulator to allow the right amount of current in? or...?
Old 01-15-12, 01:35 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
Thanks for the information, that was a good read. I would send u the old needles if I do replace them with new needles, hopefully during the coming week or the next. I'll pm you when their ready to ship

Back on topic. To my understanding the resistors act to regulate or "resist" the extra current going through to the needle leds which would increase its lifespan, but whats confusing me is the correct amount of resistance to allow enough current to light up the needles correctly. I remember seeing those led strips for decoration and the connections are just + and - wires, you can cut the strip to your desire, does that mean each led on the strip would have some sort of regulator to allow the right amount of current in? or...?
Like I said, electronics is not really my thing. I wish I could give you more info on resistance, but I'd probably be talking out of somewhere beside my mouth

I don't think the DIY I was talking about included strips of LEDs ---- you might have found another one. Here's a link to what I'm going to try, just lighting the tips:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...t-needles.html

Lexucan, who did the great DIY step by step, did seem knowledgeable, and also EXTREMELY patient (I was amazed how many times he answered the same questions over and over again from people who must not have bothered reading the entire thread). I bet if you asked on his thread, or PM'd him, describing the LED strips you are going to try, that he'd be very gracious about helping if he could.

I really liked his DIY, because it could have been titled "Low Budget Needle Repair for Dummies", which is pretty much right up my alley. I don't have to understand anything (perfect), just follow the steps.
Old 01-15-12, 01:38 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Heck! He even provided soldering lessons!
Old 01-15-12, 04:41 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

We're talking about the same thread lol, I was talking about those strips you find in autozone and such and how they work.

I've been reading this explanation and it helps alot clearing some of the doubts I had (This kind of electric work is new and advanced to my knowledge). The reason these things break is because they pack so much heat being multiple led's and the 5v unregulated current will eventually break them. Replacing them with a long single led would be more efficient (like lextech does).

Looking at the LED calculator helps determine what and how many resistors to use. I'm attempting to mess with LED's on a board to know how they work first before moving onto the needles.
Old 01-15-12, 09:42 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

ok so i got some needles from a junked sc to work with, i tested them and they are crap too, but i have an idea for the led replacement, placing one red led at the base of the needle with a thin strip of plexi going in the needle arm to make the whole needle light up. after i try it out ill let you know how it goes.
Old 01-16-12, 10:51 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default And the answer is...

Originally Posted by duhafnusa4
Hi everybody!

i just got a lexus sc300 5 spd for a good deal and the cluster needles dont light up.

im in university for mechanical engineering and have no qualms with doing it myself, i would just like to know what causes the issue and how to replace the bulbs or leds.

thanks!!!!
What did you end up doing?
Old 01-17-12, 12:20 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

still working on it, im busy at school atm , but as soon as I make progress ill let you know.
Old 01-17-12, 04:28 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a spare set that were originally red. I wouldn't mind bringing them back to life as well.
Old 01-28-12, 08:38 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

so update:

i picked up a few sets of needles from a junkyard for super cheap, and as i was expecting they were all dead, but now i have more to work with.

I also got a set from an es300 and the rpm and speed needles go in perfect and look as though they have updated leds in them, the temp and fuel are longer than the sc300's, but with a little trimming on the plastic they fit perfect, i now have all lit up and looking great

im still gonna work on getting the originals working but I was able to fix my needles for 5 bucks, not too shabby.

Quick Reply: 93 sc300 burnt out cluster needles