SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm trying to hard wire my radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-02, 12:48 PM
messysc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm trying to hard wire my radar detector

any help would be apprecited, can I go through the fusebox? I am pretty clueless in this area.
Old 10-16-02, 01:13 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wire it to the cigarette lighter so that you know for sure your radar is on when the key is in the ignition. When you take the key out it will turn off. If it doesn't work when car is on check the fuse for cig. lighter or radar.
Old 10-16-02, 01:16 PM
messysc
Driver

remember, I am electrically clueless, which wires go where? the radar detector has a red and black wire.
Old 10-16-02, 02:47 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by messysc
remember, I am electrically clueless, which wires go where? the radar detector has a red and black wire.
Red is usually the live wire while the black is the ground. I hard-wired my Valentine One to the lighter and it works perfectly.

Chris
Old 10-16-02, 03:01 PM
messysc
Driver

So when I take apart my lighter there should also be a red and blark wire there?
Old 10-16-02, 03:17 PM
Enigma
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Hardwiring Radar Detector

Just got my SC300, and I've gotta' do the same thing.

Last time I did this, I hardwired the radar detector in my Miata by running the wire down inside the A-pillar trim, down to the fusebox. I stripped both wires, folded the red wire over one of the legs of the fuse for the wipers and plugged the fuse back in (you can use any circuit that's hot when the car's on, but the lower the fuse value, the better), and wrapped the black around a handy screw that was fastened into metal, for ground. Probably not the cleanest way to do it, but it worked for 10 years that way.

Haven't even looked under there in the Lexus yet, but I'm assuming I'll find a similar fusebox configuration.

You guys that wired it to your cig lighter -- did you take the console apart to do this, or are you referring to a method similar to mine?

Good luck!
Old 10-16-02, 03:38 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

You could just run that red wire from ur radar dectector to you acc. wire under the dash. I cant remember what the color is off the top of my head but I can check later. I think that would make it a little easier. I dont know if the people who wired it up to their lighter had to take anything apart but if you wire it to the acc. wire than the most work you'd have to do is cut a little electrical tape. Anyways I'm planning on getting a radar decector too. Too many speeding tickets. What is everyone else using out there?
Old 10-16-02, 03:48 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

messysc, yea there should be 2 wires when you take apart.
take a look at this site, http://www.lightrite.com/pnp_rewiring_steps.htm
you should get power wire locator or whatever called to find out which wire is powered. they are cheap.
or you can get power from maybe..mirror light, dome light or fuse box.
http://www.ideaphile.com/bmw/v1/index.html
http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/radar/index.shtml
http://www.bariaur.com/e39/bel980.html
Old 10-16-02, 08:51 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I've managed pretty well for nearly twenty years of driving w/out a detector,but may change that due to recent events;punk cop sitting on an empty stretch of hiway in an industrial area on a Sat. am is just BS when there are a-h0les-a-plenty just 5 minutes away on the main interstate to reprimand.
Old 10-16-02, 10:34 PM
Enigma
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by jimmit
What is everyone else using out there?
Val One is the only way to go. But before that, I had a X/K/Ka/Laser Uniden that more than paid for itself, it you wanna' go <$100.

Gotta' get out and take a picture of the car, and make a sig.
Old 10-16-02, 11:22 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

how much are those val ones going for right now? Any work on a newer or better one coming out? I'm seriously considering getting one since my insurance is costing more than the car each year.
Old 10-17-02, 09:00 AM
Enigma
Driver School Candidate

Default Val One

I think they're going for around four bills on www.valentineone.com, and usually a little less on eBay. Worth saving up for though, imho.
Old 11-17-02, 02:05 AM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Default ?

Hey messysc, how'd the hard wiring go? I was wanting to do the same thing, but dont feel like taking apart the console. Mine helping me out and telling me how you did yours? thanks man
Old 11-18-02, 04:19 PM
mrKophee
Driver School Candidate

Here is a suggestion. I did this few years ago so I may miss some details.

Take apart the Dome Light/Sun-roof switch assembly thingy. Use a volt meter to find (+) power that is switched with the acc/ignition (key). (Use a volt meter). Ground works fine for the (-). There is your power.

Now remove the sun visor above the mirror. Take your suction cup attachment from the radar detector, remove the cups. Shape is so that it will mount to the visor screws.

This works good for me. Keeps the radar detector out of site unless you are sitting in the car.

Here is a pic. - sorry one didn't focus well, tried to get the visor screws in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails I'm trying to hard wire my radar detector-rd.jpg  
Old 11-18-02, 07:26 PM
DeadRinger
Rookie

Originally posted by mrKophee
This works good for me. Keeps the radar detector out of site unless you are sitting in the car.

Here is a pic. - sorry one didn't focus well, tried to get the visor screws in the pic. [/B]

Well... you really don't want the receiver end of the detector blocked by the mirror...

I would move it up and above the mirror completely - and as close to the glass as possible.

The way its mounted now you're losing significant range - and if you have it, laser detection is probably completely blind.

Quick Reply: I'm trying to hard wire my radar detector