SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC's are death traps in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 09:16 PM
VC455
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC's are death traps in the rain?

I've heard this twice since I bought the car in October. The first time from I didn't put much stock in the observation of the one accident that their wife had. Now on Friday I heard the same thing from a mechanic friend of my who has done a lot of racing and been around a while. He offered 3 examples one of which was a SC400 2000 with only 1900 miles. All 3 were totaled. I've looked around the forum and I see that there are a lot of cars that have been damaged while driving in the wet. Has anyone noticed that these cars may be worse in the wet than other RWD cars. I'm not meaning to start any flame wars, but my SC400 is my girlfiends daily driver and it would be good to know if the car has a hidden demon waiting to rear it's head. Thanks.

P.S. I live in Portland. Rain can be expected.

Last edited by VC455; 01-24-12 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to add location.
Old 01-23-12, 09:26 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My SC does just fine in the rain with summer tires. I'm sot sure what people are telling you. I can think of a lot of other cars that have twice the stock power of an SC that are also fine in the rain if you drive normal..
Old 01-23-12, 09:29 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

Any car is dangerous when its wet with a idiot behind the wheel or idiots on the road. A few things that can add to some one saying a SC is more dangerous is the fact that there are a lot of sc's over ten years old and over 150k miles on them. Time and wear cause unspoken issues that the majority of drivers don't notice. Examples are bushings. They where out plain and simple. This causes alignment issues, camber issues, handling issues, etc. Rain makes all these worse. My previous car was older and really was hard to handle in the rain. After simple common sense maintenance like bushings, alignment, etc, It was much better.

Its not that the sc is dangerous. Its just old, rear wheel drive, open diff, most of them are worn out or poorly maintained buy rip of stealerships, the list goes on and on. Its not the car. Its the people behind the wheels.
Old 01-23-12, 09:37 PM
Boostit692
Driver School Candidate

I agree my sc has been very scary to drive in rain a little snow lately and any other time replaced rack and pinion bushings with polyurethane bushings today. And just got home from a drive on some wet roads and now i have to learn how to drive my sc that actually handles good. Drive smart and maintain your sc and will be very safe car.
Old 01-23-12, 09:39 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

compared to a 320i bmw I don't see any difference in the rain... the bmw actually hydroplanes more than my SC does.
Old 01-23-12, 10:02 PM
j23a45m
Driver School Candidate

nothing a set of good tires can't handle and that in any car.
Old 01-23-12, 10:42 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, never had trouble in the rain (and I live in Washington). Probably just people with bad tires and/or driving recklessly.
Old 01-23-12, 11:35 PM
MIKU*SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rain can mess with you if your alignment is off by a bit. Other than that like others said its really all about the driver.
Old 01-23-12, 11:41 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

After riding a motorcycle in the rain for the 1st time, my SC feels so much safer.
Old 01-23-12, 11:44 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Since it has been raining alot on CA lately, I can say that my SC is more rain friendly than my other cars.

I say it all depends on if your suspension is taken care of along with tires, tires are the msot important part, cheap tires = cheap performance.
Old 01-23-12, 11:49 PM
s1984
Driver

I never got any problems with my Soarer in the rain too.
But my S13 before..... god damn...
Old 01-24-12, 12:16 AM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem here. Like everyone else said as long at the tires have decent tread and you drive normal, you'll be perfectly fine in the rain.
Old 01-24-12, 12:30 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

When I first got my SC a few years, it spun out in the middle of the street because I touched a puddle of water while making a turn. I had brand new tires and my SC is in pretty good shape too.

I've only driven it in the rain a few times since then and it's been fine. A lot of my friends daily drive their SC's and they don't have any trouble in the rain. You should be careful in the snow though. Without proper tires, you'll probably end up crashing the car.
Old 01-24-12, 12:31 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly feel a bit uncomfortable driving my SC in the rain... but I just compensate by driving extra carefully
Old 01-24-12, 01:56 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i live in florida where it typically rains every afternoon during the summer and for the longest i hated driving the car in the rain, however i had bad tires and unbalanced wheels. I ended up getting new rims with new tires and the car handles great now. However like mentioned its still rwd and open diff which can end up bad pretty fast if you're not careful. Also like mentioned these cars are old with the newest already being 10+ yrs old and others being 20..things need replacing and usually aren't which can lead to unsafe driving which will be most noticeable in the rain.

Quick Reply: SC's are death traps in the rain?