SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

someone but this right now! 2000 blk on blk 99k miles 5900

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 04:45 AM
Josh400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the difference between salvage and rebuilt title? Aren't they the same?
Old 01-25-12, 05:25 AM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Josh400
What's the difference between salvage and rebuilt title? Aren't they the same?
Same thing.. Different wording is all. Mainly pertains to "non-car people".. They see it and **** there pants.. Means that it was in a previous accident.. If everything checks out straight and true.. All a salvage title means is you got it cheaper than you should have.
Old 01-25-12, 05:37 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^And that you will be forced to sell it cheaper than you should have. No thanks on the salvage title. Would be an awesome parts car though.
Old 01-25-12, 10:08 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the car was repaired and its registered it should have been inspected allready for safety. If you get in a reported accident, even a fender bender these days in these cars they will salvage them. My fender bender for a headlight, fender bumper and labor was a lil over 3k the guy had to pay me. Which is half of what BB says the cars worth. On a car this old its easy to see so many salvage title. The salvaging iirc means the cost of repairs arent worth having the car on the road. Now in my case i took the money and fixed it myself for the cost of a fender!
Old 01-25-12, 12:26 PM
tenshu2k
Rookie

I've seen this car for sale for over a year. I tried to buy it, but the dealer/reseller was really sketchy. Pretty sure it was a complete loss in an accident. Definitely avoid.
Old 01-25-12, 01:36 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Being someone that has purchased a car that has had a rebuilt title and the rear quarter panel cut out and replaced, I'll pass.
Old 01-25-12, 04:56 PM
DRFT86
Rookie

I dont know if it depends on the state you live in, but I have bought plenty of cars before with bad titles and rebuilt them. Here in the state of ga you have to fix the car(price varies on damage), have a inspector come and check it(cost 160), go to tag office and show them info (already in the system) and bam!!!!! If I wasnt so lazy and didnt blow all my money on student loans I would be buying salvaged sc's all day long. There is a place down here that has some that you just dont want to pass up.
Old 01-25-12, 07:23 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Here is what my USAA agent told me about buying a Salvage Titled 1993 SC300 in California, I would pay the premium as if it were not a salvage title but, were I to be in an accident, USAA would send me roughly $1700 and wish me a pleasant day. That is less than half what they would pay out were it not a salvage title.
Old 01-25-12, 07:39 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 432 Likes on 356 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
NOBODY puts 92 spokes on a 2k unless it's been in one HELL OF AN ACCIDENT and they had to replace bent wheels.
Those 92 spokes are the first thing that caught my eye. Something must be really wrong for a 2000 to have 92 SC400 wheels.
Old 01-26-12, 02:44 AM
Bertman
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking to buy an SC I came across a 1994 SC400 with 110k miles. They wanted $2500 for it. I went to look at the car with a lot of questions in mind. The owner made no mention of whether the car had a clean title or not. In person I asked if it had a clean title and he told me it does. But you can tell he was being very shady and pushy about the car. When I opened the hood and looked at the engine bay & saw "94 lexus engine" written in yellow wrecking yard paint on the block I became VERY suspicious. I was able to snap a picture of the VIN by the driver side door when he wasn't looking. After running the VIN with the DMV, sure enough it had a "junk title".

Moral of the story is, if it's too good to be true, it probably is!
Old 01-26-12, 04:42 AM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Buy the damn car and keep it! Who gives a rats behind if it has a salvage title or not..
Don't buy it just to sell it.., Leave that to those weasel faced wanna-be car salesman. Turn a profit? Wrong car to be doing that with.. Buy the car, drive it until it falls apart, scrap it, start over...
Old 01-26-12, 08:58 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WadeLovell
Here is what my USAA agent told me about buying a Salvage Titled 1993 SC300 in California, I would pay the premium as if it were not a salvage title but, were I to be in an accident, USAA would send me roughly $1700 and wish me a pleasant day. That is less than half what they would pay out were it not a salvage title.
Really I have geico, fully insured and im salvage title. If my car were stolen or crashed I would get way more than 1700. I have a 93 in CA too. Just have is inspected, show its true and then have receipts and pics to show your insurance its a on of build. No prob they even looked at mine and said wow...this looks awesome is it really a 93. I replied with well chassis and drivetrain yes, interior and exterior additions are all 98!

Originally Posted by Justinizme
Buy the damn car and keep it! Who gives a rats behind if it has a salvage title or not..
Don't buy it just to sell it.., Leave that to those weasel faced wanna-be car salesman. Turn a profit? Wrong car to be doing that with.. Buy the car, drive it until it falls apart, scrap it, start over...
Word...we really dont get what we put into these things anyway! I would rather buy a turbo 5 speed rebuilt sc400 than a stock sc400.
Old 01-26-12, 09:38 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
Really I have geico, fully insured and im salvage title. If my car were stolen or crashed I would get way more than 1700. I have a 93 in CA too. Just have is inspected, show its true and then have receipts and pics to show your insurance its a on of build. No prob they even looked at mine and said wow...this looks awesome is it really a 93. I replied with well chassis and drivetrain yes, interior and exterior additions are all 98!

Word...we really dont get what we put into these things anyway! I would rather buy a turbo 5 speed rebuilt sc400 than a stock sc400.

you might get more than 1700 but theres no way you would get near anything what you would if it was a clean title. with whatever algorithm they use to decide value, it instally takes your car from excellent/good/fair condition, to a base of poor condition before considering any additional value you've added to the car. It sucks.
Old 01-26-12, 10:12 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen a few cars get "salvaged" because someone wanted to get the car back from the ins company for cheap and flip it for some pretty hefty profit after doing their own repairs. Many of those cars had NO frame damage nor damage exceeding 80% just needed brackets and body panels.

Amazing how $200 bucks in a claim adjusters pocket can end up as almost $10,000 in someone elses
Old 01-26-12, 10:45 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess my biggest issue with salvage cars is that 9 times out of 10, the repairs done were sloppily. They buy aftermarket panels that never fit right, the paint match is never right, overspray everywhere, clearcoat failing at the blend margins, body filler everywhere with sanding scratches showing through shrinking paint, etc etc. I guess if you want an inferior product and are willing to take a quality hit to save a few bucks, that is your personal choice.

I'm sure that somewhere, someone has a salvage car with quality collision repair, but who pays a premium for repairs on a car that is worth so little to begin with? As some have stated, and SC is worth very little in good condition with a clean title, so why buy one with a salvage title that is worth even less and carries a stigma?

Quick Reply: someone but this right now! 2000 blk on blk 99k miles 5900