SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

someone but this right now! 2000 blk on blk 99k miles 5900

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 11:06 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greens14
you might get more than 1700 but theres no way you would get near anything what you would if it was a clean title. with whatever algorithm they use to decide value, it instally takes your car from excellent/good/fair condition, to a base of poor condition before considering any additional value you've added to the car. It sucks.
Not true, my car has been inspected. i would get good condition as per my agent and claims adjuster. Only reason I cant get excellent is due to the aftermarket paint. Excellent rating are for completely stock car, oem glossy paint, perf int, maint history etc. Which many of us are not in that category. Do alot of our cars look excellent yes. You must remember their payouts are formula based. Not to mention as i stated i had my car inpected. Anyone who owns a salvage i reccomend having your car inpected my CHP and the Insurance co so you dont get effed. If you just buy it from internet and pay your premium your gonna get screwed since we all have more into the car than the actual worth. I think my wheels alone are worth more than most sc's on the market sell for. Look at guys like scottyournot, stevechumo, eliteskill etc...perf examples of amazing cars we all idolize but in actuallity will never get what we feel its worth. Its all formula based. With that said if you like it and its safe to drive then get it.

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I guess my biggest issue with salvage cars is that 9 times out of 10, the repairs done were sloppily. They buy aftermarket panels that never fit right, the paint match is never right, overspray everywhere, clearcoat failing at the blend margins, body filler everywhere with sanding scratches showing through shrinking paint, etc etc. I guess if you want an inferior product and are willing to take a quality hit to save a few bucks, that is your personal choice.

I'm sure that somewhere, someone has a salvage car with quality collision repair, but who pays a premium for repairs on a car that is worth so little to begin with? As some have stated, and SC is worth very little in good condition with a clean title, so why buy one with a salvage title that is worth even less and carries a stigma?
I agree on sloppy repairs. Mine was done sloppy but i didn't pay for it, i traded my 78k mile gsxr that was laid down like 3 times for it. So i got GOOD deal in my mind. I took it to a good shop and watched repairs and had them fix it better (rear quarter damage) some guys here can vouch for the original ****ty repair vs me paying to have it done right. With good paint etc... Now im thinking about cutting out the rear 1/4 and doing a custom metal widebody...lol. Nothing is ever finished or good enough huh...lol
Old 01-27-12, 05:17 AM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 1998 3000gt SL with a salvage title and sold it for $9300 back in 07'... Blue book was at $9700..

Salvage titles mean NOTHING.. Unless you don't know what they mean

Salvage titles were invented so people(Salesman/Junk Yard guys) can buy a car for half of what it's worth, then sell it to turn a profit...

Also had a 92 SC400 rebuilt/salvage title, 125k miles, stock, that I sold for $3100.. That I purchased for $700 Once again... Salvage/Rebuilt Title=NOTHING...(If everything checks out to be true and straight )

So, all in all.. Keep getting those salvage cars, i'll keep buying and driving them, then sell them for what they're worth..

EDIT: My current SC300, a 1994, was purchased for $2000... I have had CASH offers for $3100.. Cash in hand.. WITH a rebuilt title...
Old 01-27-12, 05:42 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

More power to you, sir. If you want those salvage cars, by all means go out and buy them. You won't have to worry about me competing for them.
Old 01-27-12, 06:05 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would consider it as long as it checks out. Thats not a bad price in my book, if you ask me. Again, as long as everything checks out on it from top to bottom...
Old 01-27-12, 08:38 AM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
More power to you, sir. If you want those salvage cars, by all means go out and buy them. You won't have to worry about me competing for them.
Thanks brother!

People like you make it possible for others to get great cars at a cheap price!