SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

question on painting car red, tips tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 10:01 AM
JustChill
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default question on painting car red, tips tricks?

Okay, so I just bought a garnet red sc300, but I want to paint either imola red from the BMW or renaissance red. Can I paint over the existing paint? Or will I have to spray a silver basecoat down first then spray the new red code over the silver? I'm looking to acheive a deep brilliant red color but i don't want it to lean towards the garnet color pigmentation.
Also, if I paint a bumper that is black to the red I'm looking to paint, should I prime with a silver base or can I shoot the red straight on?

Thoughts, opinions, pictures? thanks CL
Old 01-27-12, 04:30 PM
lmfod
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need a silver base coat you need to sand your current paint down, prime, sand, seal, then base and clear. No offense but if you are unsure you might want to take it to a shop.
Old 01-27-12, 09:25 PM
zdatlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to a professional paint supplier for advise...
silver base coat = primer
different colors sometimes recommend different color primers,, fyi - there are tinted primers besides the typical gray, black , oxide... some color combos require a tinted version..

red= be prepared to spend big bucks, its the most expensive pigment in paint, typically a red can of paint will cost 3x the amount of a plain white color... add pearls, micas, metallics...
Old 01-27-12, 09:31 PM
zdatlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lmfod
You don't need a silver base coat you need to sand your current paint down, prime, sand, seal, then base and clear. No offense but if you are unsure you might want to take it to a shop.
no offense but its not always that simple,
every paint color has varying amounts of solids and not all can cover what you have adequately without priming.
depending on body work- bondo, varying color panels etc it may or not be advised to prime in order to achieve uniform coverage...
some colors require a certain tinted primer that sometimes is in contrast to the final color desired in order to acieve the desired result...

now irridescent paint,, that is somehting i have yet to try...

imo- red belongs on ferraris and toe nails, lol
Old 01-28-12, 12:03 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you have to ask you better not do it yourself.. its gonna come out bad, save money and take it to a professional..
Old 01-28-12, 12:50 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lindy...i got a gun and compressor, and alot of tape!! lol I would sand it down, fix imperfections, prime is based on how the paint recommended for the color code (i.e. imola red). Then take it to the shop for finishing touches and paint and clear and wet sanding!
Old 01-28-12, 06:15 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best shade of red imo is Porsche guards red.
Old 01-28-12, 07:24 AM
JustChill
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for the input. I will be painting this myself so please dont comment that i should take it to a shop. Im using my car to experiment and learn. I'm a DIYer. I learn and learn and get better. I've paint parts and one entire car already. Just needed advice on how to shoot red paint on a garnet red car.

Mark, I already got a paint booth to rent, and my gun. Just need a some help sanding.
Old 01-28-12, 07:57 AM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zdatlexus

imo- red belongs on ferraris and toe nails, lol
LOL @ THAT ^... I totally agree with you!
Old 01-28-12, 02:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

You are 'supposed' to sand off all the clear coat before you spray a new base.

Ive painted a couple of cars myself , home made job on driveway etc.... and i think as long as your give the car a very thorough sanding and cleaning you can go right to the basecoat.

Clear is very tricky be prepared for alot of trial and error unless your planning a wet sand and buff.
Old 01-28-12, 03:09 PM
JustChill
Lead Lap

I will be painting my fenders first to get good at it. It's been a year since I touched a paint gun. Hopefully I can lay the clear on right the first time.
Old 01-29-12, 08:20 PM
zdatlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
You are 'supposed' to sand off all the clear coat before you spray a new base.

Ive painted a couple of cars myself , home made job on driveway etc.... and i think as long as your give the car a very thorough sanding and cleaning you can go right to the basecoat.

Clear is very tricky be prepared for alot of trial and error unless your planning a wet sand and buff.
You are supposed to scuff sand the clear with something like 360 grit. You should never take off the paint unless you have too many layers exceeding maximum substrate thickness, (usually upwards of 3 paintjobs) or you have substrate problem, cracking, checking, rust through, poor adhesion to original primer.
Trying to take off clear coat is just asking for alot of unever sandthroughs which then have to be evened out w more priming, block sanding...
Old 01-29-12, 08:46 PM
JustChill
Lead Lap

My hood is missing all the clear coat. Is that.gonna be a problem? This car has original paint. No respray at all.
Old 01-30-12, 08:44 PM
cpimpton
Driver School Candidate

if it doesnt need any bodywork, you need to sand the car with 320grit sandpaper, anywhere that you sand through the paint and can see the layers of paint, primer,sealer will need primer i recommend 2k primer. then the primer will need to be sanded after it is completly dry. then you will need to blow the car off with compressed air, make sure you get in all the cracks, wheelwells, by the wipers around the fuel door etc, anywhere that has dirt trapped will get dirt into you paint. then seal the car, this seals out the old paint from the new paint, you dont need to use a silver base unless youre painting kandy, so after sealing put on the base coat, make sure you keep your gun a even distance the whole time your spraying, use 50% overlap, anywhere that you stop and start or get to close will leave a dark spot. i would start on the roof first , then hood the trunk then sides, and since youre new to this use a slow reducer so the paint doesnt dry up on you. you want to do about 3 coats and walk the car. after the base drys you can clear it. oh yea and if you paint those fenders before you paint the car, they will not match the rest of the car, their are many varibles that can effect the outcome of a paint job, temp, moisture in the air, they way you mix the paint etc
Old 01-30-12, 08:46 PM
cpimpton
Driver School Candidate

and on the hood sand with 220 grit then go back over it with 320, if its real bad use 180 then 220 then 320, after you seal the car, if you see imperfections, they will show up in the paint, you can let the sealer dry and go back and fix the spots

Quick Reply: question on painting car red, tips tricks?