SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should I buy a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-12, 10:18 PM
RandomGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a Lexus?

As you read the title of this post, you are probably saying "Well yeah, duh." And to an extent I am as well.

Anyway, some back story. I saw an old Lexus SC 300 sitting in the parking lot of my local grocery store. And instantly knew I loved that car, never seen one before. So after doing some research I see that it is a great car for the money, and as luck would have it my current car is on it's last leg. (A 1997 Toyota 4Runner with over 300,000 miles) I just have a few questions for the owners of these works of art.

I am going to need a car for the next 3 or 4 years, one that won't have any major problems. I know cars have wear and tear, but I am talking about Engines cracking or Trannys dropping. Is the Lexus SC 300 a reliable car? I am looking at one with 141,000 miles on it, and am a little skeptical. I know Lexus is run by Toyota and my current truck has served me admirably for the last 3 years, so I am expecting it to be. This question is just a nail in the coffin that is my purchase.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-12, 11:33 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL.

I know it's not an SC300 but there's a picture of an SC400 on here with 6xxxxxx miles on it, that should be enough to persuade you Many of the guys here (whether it be 300 or 400) are 200k plus, I'm sure they'll chime in.
Old 01-30-12, 12:44 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

WElcome. Alot of things have to be taken into consideration. As far as mileage goes its not that bad but the car has to have been maintained.
Old 01-30-12, 09:36 AM
OBEY414
Rookie

check out the owner, i seen a nice sc400 on the road with a for sale sign. Knocked on the door and judging by the owner i knew he maintained it well, also just by looking at it and test driving i knew it was in goodshape. So i bought it, and no regrets no problems.

97 sc400
136k miles

engine still purrs, no weird noises.

i know theyre different but just to give you an idea on the lexus sc's

so go for it if the feel is right.
Old 01-30-12, 09:56 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cal Naughton, Jr.: So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?
Old 01-30-12, 12:39 PM
RandomGuy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input guys. I know that Lexus are great cars, but any high mileage cars carry a little bit of doubt. I mean when I was considering purchasing my Toyota when it had 150k on it (It now has over 300k) I was doubtful. The only thing that was the problem was my alternator.

Just a little more information. They are asking 4,800 for it. It has 141k miles. I talked to the guy on the phone and he said is has nothing mechanically wrong with it, and it still runs great. I am thinking about heading down there to purchase. Is there anything I should be looking for? Any questions I should ask?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-12, 12:42 PM
Scless
Rookie

I'd look for the typical failures of the sc. Window regulators, P/S pump, trunk shocks, needles, climate, maintenance stuff like dist. cap, rotor, timing belt, etc. Check tire wear for unusual wear or tread depth. Frame and such forth.
Old 01-30-12, 01:06 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

4.8 is too high for a 141k mile car. Which year are you looking to get? 97 is when they changed to obd2 something you might want to consider if you are going to mod your engine. But if you want strictly DD get a 98+
Old 01-30-12, 01:34 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you need a reliable car that you won't have to touch for three years, just lease a brand new car.

If you want to buy a $4,800 car including three years worth of maintenance, you will find that the cost will probably equal out ...minus the headaches. It sounds like you are attached to Toyota engines which is cool. Have you considered just waiting a bit longer and leasing the new Scion FT86 coming out? Or maybe look at the IS C if you only like coupes/convertibles.

I'm not talking dirt about our cars either. It's just the facts that a car with 141,000 miles might require some work. I would look over the maintenance records and see what has been done. How mechanically are you on a scale of 1-10? If it's more like a 5, then this is probably not the car for you. You don't necessarily have to be a pro, but it will save you a lot of money if you are a DIY person. How much personal time can you commit to working on this car? Start asking yourself some of these questions before considering a 12-19 year old vehicle.

Best of luck for whatever decision you make.
Old 01-30-12, 03:48 PM
TCUFROGZ
Driver School Candidate

+1 on what Tabaka said
Old 01-30-12, 04:34 PM
JDMJoe239
Pole Position

if gas money is an issue i would never recommend one of these cars. premium and horrible gas mileage is not a good mix. but if you're still interested im selling mine
Old 01-30-12, 06:57 PM
issacmuk
Driver School Candidate

i got mine for 1000 92 sc400 212,000 on it miles. run great for being 19 years olds, got it from a family member reason for being so cheap. i havent had no prblem yet, i driven it up an down ca li for 4,800 the car should be in greatt conditon in and out mine just have have powering steering leak and heater problem as most sc does nothing major
Old 01-30-12, 10:08 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I do like my car, but I must admit it is far from practical. I feel like an idiot for wanting to make my car nice and daily, but that's just the way I feel. That's what I'm willing to give up to have a nice car lol.
Old 01-30-12, 11:10 PM
RandomGuy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input guys.

I forgot to tell you. I am a college student, so I don't have much money, so leasing would be out of the questions. I would already have a Dodge Challenger if I could afford a lease. Practically isn't to top on my list, and I just test drove an SC 300 today. And I have to say, for what I do, it's pretty practical. Backseats weren't even that bad. I fit back there and I am 6ft.

Also modding isn't top on my list. It's there, but I have to save up before I can mod. I do have some mechanical ability.

Thanks for tell me that 4,800 is to much. I'll keep that in mind when it comes down to negotiations.

After doing a bit more research I found that everyone is extremely happy with their SC 300s. So I will probably be purchasing one soon.
Old 01-30-12, 11:24 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What part of SCland are you in (Florida)? Many of us are scattered between Orlando and Miami so maybe one of us could check it out as well....heck we may even know who is selling it.

If proper maintenance has been done to the car with that kind of mileage you would most likely have to worry about the alternator, starter, and any sort of oil leaks which means some seals need to be changed. That's about all the problems I've had with my SC300 and I got it with 127k almost 4 years ago and now its at 177k. If your cool with those minor problems and are ready to pay for the gas then I say go for it and come out to one of the many car meets to come chit chat with the rest of the crew.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Lexus?