SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door wont close properly

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 09:52 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door wont close properly

Im having some problems with my passenger side door. When someone goes to close the door, either from the inside or outside, the door doesnt close properly. Itll either pretty much bounce right off and open again or it will poorly latch, leaving the door able to open up easily if pushed. This does not always happen though, sometimes the door closes fine without a problem. The hinge is nice and greased up, nothing is rubbing or scraping, and there is no popping or creaking when opened/closed. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the door latch.
Also, every once in a while the pass side lock wont unlock, and i have to use the key to unlock the door.

Not sure if these problems are related or not. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any ideas of what it could be?
Old 02-05-12, 08:12 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try closing the door with a window cracked, something about cabin pressure i have the same issue with my door and i tell anyone who closes it that they cant close a door properly lol
Old 02-05-12, 05:39 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

alright so i tried to crack a window and close it, but that still didnt work. so that eliminates that idea. anybody else have ideas, or experiencing this problem?
Old 02-05-12, 05:47 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Sounds like a sagging door hinge to me.
Old 02-05-12, 06:43 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Sounds like a sagging door hinge to me.
is this fixable or do i need a new hinge?
Old 02-06-12, 01:47 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get down at the back of the door, eye level with the the latch. Close the door slowly so you can tell if the latch is sitting lower than the catch... Or if its really bad look at the door jam, or the bottom of the door for rubbing scraping. If its bad hinges you should be able to visually see the problem. If you can't find the issue then try putting some grease on the latch and working it to see if there is any overly difficult operating. Just remember that once the latch is closed you'll have to reopen it by pulling the door handle and use's a screw driver to flip the latch back open.
Old 02-06-12, 10:44 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

theres no rubbing, scraping, popping or anything.
but according to a friend, the door closes when you lift it a little. the door closes fine for some reason 99% of the time when i try to close it, so i barely experience this problem. everybody decides to slam the door as hard as they can because they think they arent closing it hard enough... idiots

ill take a look at the latch tomorrow and see if its even, and ill grease up the latch and check that out too. a new hinge is on its way here so that will eliminate the problem if it is the hinge.
Old 02-07-12, 01:47 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

You most likely won't need a new hinge. If you do decide its the hinge all you have to do is open the door a bit and support it with a bottle jack, loosen the hinges and give the jack one or two pumps then tighten the hinge back down. When you release the jack the door should sag back to a level only slightly higher than the previous position. Door alignment can be a pita with out the right method. If adjusting doesn't do the trick then replace the hinge.
Old 02-07-12, 02:28 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

alright im gunna try doing this as well. does it matter if i use a bottle jack or a regular jack?
Old 02-07-12, 03:21 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

Something that won't tip over or bleed down. Remember to put something between the jack and the door so you don't scratch the paint.
Old 02-07-12, 04:46 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Mike, I checked your hinges when I looked at your car. You definitely don't need door hinges. Just crack the window when you close the door.
Old 02-07-12, 05:03 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

but the last time the someone had the problem of the door not closing, i opened the window and it still wouldnt close properly. im gunna try to realign it next chance i get, maybe thatll do it. i also looked at the latch and it seems to line up properly..
Old 02-07-12, 06:11 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

If its looking like the door is lining up correctly I personally would concentrate on the latch mechanism its self. I've not played with the doors on a SC yet but they look like they would be as much fun to play with as Z32 doors, which isn't fun at all. The latch its self could simply be wearing out or need some lubricant. I know you said you put grease in but grease would take care of restriction on the king pin of the door jam. A good spray lubricant would get into the insides of the latch or if you want to pull the door panel of and hit it with something from inside.
Weigh all possibility's before you start rearranging things. If it helps any my car has 185k and the hinges look like they have never been adjusted and the doors don't sag at all.
Old 02-07-12, 06:37 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

yeah the latch doesnt unlock sometimes from the inside and i have to use the key from the outside to unlock. maybe these problems are related and it just gets stuck closed?
so taking wd40 to the latch/ spraying inside sounds like a good idea, no?
hopefully the problem isnt more in depth than that, not excited to take apart the door.
Old 02-07-12, 06:41 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

WD-40 won't hurt anything. Just wipe off the excess.

Quick Reply: Door wont close properly