SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Does this car hate me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 09:35 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And I thought I had SC problems. Sorry to see you go through all this dude.
Old 02-14-12, 12:49 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the luck man.
Old 02-14-12, 04:34 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drove the car for about an hour tonight in bumper to bumper traffic. I got home, walked and fed the dog, and decided to run out really quickly to buy my lady roses and a card for Valentines Day.

Car started fine, drove to the store, got what I needed.

On my way back the car shut off on its own. I started it back up and drove another 1/8 of a mile....car shuts down again. This time completely. It didn't even want to start back up. It finally started and I was able to baby it home.

I let her cool down and decided to check for codes by jumping the terminals. The Check Engine light just constantly blinked with no rhyme or reason. Does it do that when there are no codes? Anyways, not sure what to do now.
Old 02-14-12, 05:19 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Does it shut off while on neutral, shifting or driving?
Old 02-14-12, 06:14 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

It's a 5spd, it shut off while in gear. It also shut off while pushing in the clutch and changing gears.

I'm going to borrow another car for a few days, but I really can't afford another big bill because I just spend $731 today. If anyone (ANYONE) is in the Northern Virginia area and has experience with Lexus vehicles, please let me know. I can't offer a lot of cash or anything, but I can cook you a steak dinner or something. Man, just please help me out...anyone
Old 02-14-12, 06:23 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I think you need to call a priest, not a mechanic.

I may have missed it, but are you still running the original ecu?
Old 02-14-12, 07:17 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Second ecu, but I opened my original one and it looked fine. After speaking with a friend its getting towed to Lexus tomorrow.
Old 02-14-12, 07:23 PM
2jpowa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had about the same problem and it ended up being a fuel injector, it would stick open and then work normal until finally one day it just completely stuck open, is it smoking at all?
Old 02-14-12, 07:26 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I think you need to call a priest, not a mechanic.
^ Lol.... funny!

My guess would be something to do with the clutch you just replaced. I remember something similar after changing the clutch on a 03 camry GLI (5speed). Something wasnt done right with the new clutch, my brother got it fixed I'll ask him when he gets up.
Old 02-14-12, 07:27 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Smokes in the morning, just figured it was 17 year old valve seals going bad. Either way, I'll pay Lexus tomorrow to inspect it for an hour. So I'll pay for the $120 inspection fee + $60 one way tow. After that I'll post what they say and see what you guys suggest.
Old 02-14-12, 09:15 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When asked about the breakdown, Tabaka's car had this to say:

http://youtu.be/8QjrBjdb2T8
Old 02-15-12, 04:54 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

LOL. We told him to run Toyota red coolant and not that green stuff
Old 02-15-12, 05:23 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Car runs Toyota Red when I bought the new radiator lol.

This car is a joke. The best news I could hear today is that it needs a new engine. Then I can finally watch this thing get crushed at the wrecking yard. I would NEVER sell it to any of you guys. This car doesn't deserve a new home.
Old 02-15-12, 06:00 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I know this is not related to your car in any way, my 96 Camry used to cut off like you described in your post. The problem was the cat converter was melting due to miss fire in one of the cylinders and the exhaust manifold was getting red hot which melted exhaust mani and o2 sensor altogether. When i took off the heat shield I could see a big hole in the exhaust mani and exposed clogged cat and holes on the bottom of the plastic engine cover from dripping hot metal. When I installed a new parts including plug wires/mani/cat/plugs the car was like brand new and never had issues after that.
I'm not saying this may be the issue you're having, but it would be good idea just to unbolt heatshield and your o2 sensor and inspect exhaust mani for cracks before you do any kind of engine swap. I don't know how you would inspect cat conv though.
Edited: As a matter of fact I would just remove the complete exhaust manifold and inspect it all completely, I know after putting money in the clutch you don't have $$ to play with, but you gotta do the work yourself to save some bux.
I hope you get her working!

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 02-15-12 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-15-12, 07:23 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Car runs Toyota Red when I bought the new radiator lol.

This car is a joke. The best news I could hear today is that it needs a new engine. Then I can finally watch this thing get crushed at the wrecking yard. I would NEVER sell it to any of you guys. This car doesn't deserve a new home.
So you need a new engine ? I told you to get a real mechanic since last year, that guy was just throwing parts at your car, the guy who did the water pump crap and the guy that did the clutch couple days ago.

I have worked on SC for about 6years, I know majority of the stuff they are telling you that you need is BS.
They need the money and somebody got to pay their bills ( that somebody is You).
It's very sad you had to go through this BS

Quick Reply: Does this car hate me?