SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Does this car hate me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 12:36 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact problem on my 92 SC300. quick check and found out that it was the fuel pump ECU located behind the drivers side backseat arm rest. Took me 10 minutes to replace with a good used fuel Pump ECU that I purchase from a forum member for $35. The fuel pump ECU failure is a fairly common issue on our older SC's. They can cause intermitant fuel related issues. I now keep an extra Fuel Pump ECU in my trunk. You can do a search(Fuel Pump ECU) and read up on the DIY, very easy job and cheap. Also make sure you change out your fuel filter every 60,000 miles..(cheap, buy from Autozone)..BTW, don't be thinking the dumbasses at the dealer know anything about the cars they work on. Your best bet is an indy shop that knows SC's. Keep us posted on what you do or find out.
Old 02-26-12, 12:46 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Installed a new fuel pump and did the 12v ECU mod today. Started around 10:00am and wrapped things up around 1pm. I drove her for about an hour and a half and no problems yet. Still keeping my guard up though.

Gran Tourismo Stage 1 Weight Reduction
Old 02-26-12, 12:48 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Good to hear. Also good to see that you're actually doing your own work instead of financing your mechanic's new Mercedes.
Old 02-26-12, 01:50 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff, glad to see u back in the game
Old 02-26-12, 02:56 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

I hope you resolved that issue tabaka, ive been there and i was about to go crazy as well, bringing it to different mechanics and lexus dealer and not getting any answers, for me it turned out to be a loose cam or crank sensor, I had similar problems like your having.

Its sad and a hard descision but you might want to get it running and then jump ship and sell it before things get any worse.

Tough call good luck bro.
Old 02-26-12, 03:13 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kudos for jumping in there and doing some work. I hope this resolves your issue.
Old 02-26-12, 03:36 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

dimes to donuts you have solved your problem....pretty cheap and easy job to DIY for sure......we forum members know 100 times more about our cars than most dealership mechanics and some indy mechanics as well. Keep us posted on how it's running. Most of the time these issues can easily be troubleshooted without a lot of expense and drama, just be patient and use your head before your wallet. The factory manual comes in handy to...
Old 02-27-12, 01:24 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Drove the SC to work today. Felt good, but my boss caught me off guard and requested that we visit a client about 45 minutes away. He insisted that I drive, so I was very nervous in case it broke down lol. Keep in mind that my boss is 50+ years old, 6'ft 4"in, 250lbs, and we both work for a professional office wearing suits every day. My car is basically stock minus the suspension during the winter months. Man was I completely crapping myself the whole time and kept thinking that it was going to stall on the highway driving 70mph with my employer in the car. But to my surprise, she drove like a champ and my boss was impressed with my interior.
Old 02-28-12, 09:18 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey man glad you got it done! Great job for tackling the job yourself!
Old 03-15-12, 04:36 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Heard a funny rattle on my way home from the front area of the car so I lifted the hood and took a look. I noticed one of the fan shroud clips was gone and the bottom piece of the shroud is just smacking around a little. No big deal, I can figure out something for that.

Then, I see the reddish pink coolant coming from the waterpump area again. What is this mechanic using to seal the waterpump, bubble gum? Back to the shop. Thank god it's under warranty but I almost want to pay someone else to fix it correctly. This will be the third time it's been replaced or resealed in a matter of 10k miles.

Old 03-15-12, 05:28 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

For the love of god, go to a different mechanic or learn how to do it yourself. You're either a complete lunatic or an idiot for going to this guy repeatedly after he's ****ed up so much.
Old 03-15-12, 06:38 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shane,

There is an Oring that goes between the block and the water pump so if its done properly it shouldn't leak at all within 10k miles.
unless they installed an autozone water pump,the lexus water pump comes complete and you don't need to use some RTV to seal the rear housing to the front.
It comes complete with 2 Orings and the gasket that goes on the back of the water pump between the water pump and the bypass pipe that goes on the passenger side of the block to the heater core.

STOP messing with this GUY please ...
Old 03-16-12, 01:53 AM
sc400dj
Rookie

ive read this entire thread i dont think your car is full of gremlins I think your so called mechanic is your first and only problem with your car, im sorry I work as a professional Technician and if I had this many come backs on the same vehicle I would lose my job.. this guy is screwing you and I think he might even be purposely sabotaging your car look this is what i suggest you might do, buy a set of tools and get a shop repair manual or like so many of these guys have said find someone who knows about sc's and talk to other members on here about them and see if he has a good reputation or not....besides after reading about your so called clutch issue if the clutch was going out you would still be able to rev then engine despite it slipping not the feeling you got.....the 2nd day of actually driving my sc it shut down on me a couple of times i came home looked up the issue and found the 12v mod and mine has been running awesome ever since

best of luck to you and your car
Old 03-16-12, 05:12 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Shane,

There is an Oring that goes between the block and the water pump so if its done properly it shouldn't leak at all within 10k miles.
unless they installed an autozone water pump,the lexus water pump comes complete and you don't need to use some RTV to seal the rear housing to the front.
It comes complete with 2 Orings and the gasket that goes on the back of the water pump between the water pump and the bypass pipe that goes on the passenger side of the block to the heater core.

STOP messing with this GUY please ...
^^^What he said. O-rings seal the pump to the block and water neck. I have had mine off and on twice now and it does not leak a a drop. There is no need to use RTV anywhere on the water pump.
Old 03-16-12, 05:13 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Also, you should get a personalized plate "FML" or "FACEPALM"

Quick Reply: Does this car hate me?