SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Okay... I guess it's my turn...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 06:36 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GotRiceYo
Also... Could you give us some feedback on the XSpower intake manifold??? Install issues..if any?? what TB are you running??
The XS Power manifold is a nice piece... Looks good etc. However, the flange that it comes with is made for the '86-'93 Mustang throttle body. Mark @ XS recommends the 75mm Accufab TB. However, like a lot of people, I went with the Q45 TB thinking that it would be "fairly" easy to make it work. But that wasn't the case. The Q45 TB has a little arm that is about 3/4 of an inch that rolls back with the butterfly. That arm hits the flange.. So in order to get the Q45 TB to work you will have to have a piece fabricated to allow for clearance.. So if you do go with the XS, my opinion would be that you go with the Accufab TB... (but keep in mind that the Accufab has it's fair share of critics.... So do some research and find out what works best for your build)

And one more thing... The XS has no ports.. It does require some basic knowledge of Vac ports, IAC, etc... But if your a "DIY'er" you'll be fine....
Old 05-07-12, 06:43 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by Cleet
x2^^^

Love this build btw... cause I have the same yr and color sc and am trying to decide now if i wanna use my singled 1j or go na-t vvti for awhile.
Do yourself a favor and just go NA-T... I learned the hard way trying to make a 2JZGTE "non VVT-I" work with my car... The wiring is not worth the money, time or effort... You'll be better off just getting a bad *** turbo, manifold, injectors, standalone etc.... They're way more pros than cons if you go NA-T...

That's my 2 cents...
Old 05-07-12, 06:48 PM
Cleet
Rookie

Cool... thanks for the advice... and the feedback on the xs manifold.
Old 05-26-12, 05:20 PM
Cleet
Rookie

Any updates?

I'm getting ready to start my na-t vvti build now and am interested to hear more about where this has gone, what you have run into and what you ended up doing for ems.

I ended up buying a ffim similar to yours also with q45 tb.
Old 05-27-12, 10:35 PM
pureSEKS
Driver School Candidate

very nice!
Old 05-28-12, 08:25 AM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by Cleet
Any updates?

I'm getting ready to start my na-t vvti build now and am interested to hear more about where this has gone, what you have run into and what you ended up doing for ems.

I ended up buying a ffim similar to yours also with q45 tb.
What's up... The car is still at the tunner.. We had to make a few modifications on the fly... So it's taking a bit longer than planned. I should have some updates soon though...

In regards to the EMS, I went with the MegaSquirt setup. I've done the research, and it's the best bang for your buck hands down.

Now here's the reason for the current modifications. I also bought a XSPower FFIM and a Q45 throttle body. But the FFIM is not have a flange that will accommodate the Q45 TB. The XSPower FFIM is made for a Accufab TB. (Ford Mustang).. So given the money already invested in the intake setup, and the money that would have to be invested in either machining and new flange setup or purchasing a Accufab TB. I decided to just go with a ceramic coated OEM TT intake manifold. It took less mods.. And according to Manic at MTR, he said that the TT manifold is more optimal than the XSPower FFIM. Reason being that the TT will function better than the much larger XSPower FFIM. (Bigger is NOT always better)
Old 11-28-12, 05:53 PM
Specaiist
Driver

So, 2 throttle bodies, 3 intake manifolds, 2 unichip piggybacks, 30 spark plugs, 3 maps, 5 oil changes, 4 blown H.I.D ballast, a few hundred bucks in premium gas, countless hours of work, a new tow truck business, a beautiful/healthy baby girl and a few months, I can finally report that I've finally got the car to a solid "baseline/starting point" (LOL!)

A lot has been done since the last time I checked in. After we scraped the whole XSPower Idea, we installed a TT non VVT-I manifold and throttle body... (yes we did the painstaking work of cutting and welding the lower runners so that it would fit) We even went as far as having the manifold powder coated in black and the throttle body polished... But after trying to tune the car with this setup, we quickly realized that we needed another option:

We then decided to start from scratch (in regards to the intake setup). So I purchased a TT VVT-I intake manifold and throttle body... We didn't even bother to worry about the cosmetics at this point... We just installed it.. This was a major part of the NA-T puzzle... All dash lights were gone, cruise control and traction functioned at 100%.... BUT! the UNICHIP would not keep the map.. The car was running super rich, spark plugs kept fouling out.. Black smoke everywhere... So after a few days of scratching our heads, we found out that one of the ports on the Unichp was burnt out... We then ordered a new Unichip, which took forever to get here..

Once the Unichip arrived, my girlfriend went into labor with my first child.. So needless to say, I didn't even remember that I was building a car... While all this was going on, I was/still in the process of getting my new towing company off the ground....

With all that said, We finally got around to installing the Unichip. Well I'm happy to report that "IT WORKS!" The car was finally tuned last week. I wasn't able to be there for all the dyno runs, but I will be for the next tune.

The Borg Warner is running on 9lbs of boost. The car is making a solid 360hp @ full boost. I'm happy with this "baseline" tune... It gives me a good starting point. I still plan on staying automatic, (although everyone is trying their best to convince me that I should be R154 or 6speed). We could've went wayyyy higher with the boost/HP, but I wasn't really interested in spitting the teeth of my stock trans all over the shop floor... I do have a completely built auto that can handle 900hp in the pipeline though. I'm just waiting on some lose cash.

So here are the specs thus far:
2JZGE NA-T
Built bottom end
Forged pistons
.20 over
TT rods
ACL race bearings
ARP bolts
Stock GE VVT-I head
Hybrid TT VVT-I manifold & Throttle body
750 injectors
ARP head studs
Unichip piggyback
3" SS exhaust
Custom Borg Warner S366 (Check earlier post for details)
HKS blow off
HKS wastegate

That's all that I can remember off the top of my head.... So enough of the chit-chat.... Lets get to the updated pics... Keep in mind though that cosmetics were an after thought... The engine bay will look sexier by the next update..

Here's a video of how smooth everything is:

(Click Image)

Here's a quick video of a 80mph-140mph pull on my way home last night... ( Not a beast.. But it's a start)

(Click Image)

(p.s. My windows were up- BW sounds like music!)

We tell me what you think

Last edited by Specaiist; 12-02-12 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 06:43 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice
Old 11-28-12, 08:43 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like how u ran a hard line to the turbo for oil supply. very clean!
Old 11-29-12, 07:11 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should have asked , the vvti is BDW so the XSpower will not work on that stock ecu , the gte non vvti intake and tb will not work either.

glad you got it working.
Old 11-29-12, 08:04 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice showing bro! Damn, how did I miss this build thread? Man, I must be getting old...lol. Thx for sharing!

steve
Old 11-29-12, 09:47 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its about time gavin!!!! thats what i like to see! text me when u get a chance so i can show u whats new with my SC
Old 11-30-12, 01:37 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Very nice
Thanks...

Originally Posted by DoomLight
i like how u ran a hard line to the turbo for oil supply. very clean!
Thanks... That was a MTR (Manic Tech Racing) idea..

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
You should have asked , the vvti is BDW so the XSpower will not work on that stock ecu , the gte non vvti intake and tb will not work either.

glad you got it working.
Hindsight is 20/20.... We would have save a lot of time and money. But "experience" is priceless.. (I guess)

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Nice showing bro! Damn, how did I miss this build thread? Man, I must be getting old...lol. Thx for sharing!

steve
No problem.. Stay tuned because this is just the beginning... [650-700hp NA-T VVT-I automatic daily driver] Plus I still have a lot of cosmetics to take care of. Not to mention, A/V etc..

Originally Posted by 94_soarer
Its about time gavin!!!! thats what i like to see! text me when u get a chance so i can show u whats new with my SC
Nate!! Whats good?? It's been a long time coming... I still have a long ways to go to catch you though! LOL!!
Old 12-02-12, 04:42 AM
Specaiist
Driver

I finally got around to installing my Innovate MTX-L wideband:

(Click image)

Old 12-03-12, 10:37 PM
JJSSC300
Driver School Candidate

hey man, nice SC. I'm planning a similar build with mine. just wondering which built auto are you going with?

Quick Reply: Okay... I guess it's my turn...