SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

JUSt on the subject of lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02, 03:27 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JUSt on the subject of lights

Okay..cool. Now we can JUSt talk about lights again.

Well..regarding those other mass produced LED rings. I've seen those before...they light up okay, but again, those are adopting the look of the bimmer angel eyes.

I wanted a look, that was slightly different and take on a whole new look so it wasn't so "riced out" as Gene or others would point out.

I know some GS owners in the GS forum who transplanted the LED turn signal side mirros from CLKs and put em on their GSs...so would you consider that rice? Actually..if someone can dig up the threads...you can tell the the conversion was VERY clean and for me, wouldn't exude rice at all.

Also there was a GS owner who added the Q45 gatling gun HID housing to their GS and even that was done SO cleanly I don't think I'd classify it as rice either.

IF it's done cleanly and almost seamlessly..I'm all for it.

THE LED rings I have are clean...and won't exude rice. IF it did, I wouldn't have gotten them in the first place.

Once I get my dual led sidemarkers, my new headlight housings, and rings..togethers it should be nice. I'll try and post picts when the time comes.

For other people who want the mass produced one, go for it. Do whatever you feel you like.
Old 10-23-02, 01:34 AM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Definition of rice?

First of all, my response may not be appropriate as a response AT ALL, but take it with a grain of salt.

Before we can determine what "rice" is, we have to define "rice". I believe most of us have a basic idea what it means to be "riced-out", to be a "rice-boy", or simply to have a "rice rocket". But to put it into words, what exactly IS "rice"?

"rice" is an adjective describing something (usually cars) that look tacky by what is done to the thing or how it is done. I think ultimate "rice" is achieved when shortcuts are taken to imitate something else. What does this mean?

Take the headlights, for example. If somebody wants HIDs on their car, but spared the expense by simply replacing the bulbs, THAT is rice. Let's say I want HIDs, but I cannot afford them, so I took a shortcut by replacing my bulbs with bulbs that adds the "HID look". Not only can I tell that they are not HIDs, it hinders my night vision.

Another example is the exhaust system. If I simply replaced my exhaust tips with 5" tips and nothing else, is that "rice"? I haven't done anything to enhance my performance. THAT is also "rice", when the goal is to simply have the "look". Some times, some guys will go so far as to replacing the entire exhaust system with larger tubing and mufflers only to find out that they are actually losing performance, because the piping is too big.

The last type of "rice" I'll discuss here is when someone simply adds something that serves no purpose. This can range from adding a spoiler that adds no downforce to slapping some vinyl stickers of products that the has nothing to do with the car. Most cars will NEVER make use of the aerodynamic effects that a spoiler or bodykit adds. Your car has to be traveling at relatively high velocities before aerodynamics play a role. On the subject of stickers, we see manufacturer logo stickers on race cars, but that's because they actually sponsor the race cars. I've seen a MOPAR sticker on a Toyota Celica. Now, THAT's ridiculous.

Anyway, to sum it up, "rice" can be divided into three groups:
1) taking shortcuts to achieve something that actually exists,
2) adding or replacing something on the car just to have "the look", especially when trying to imitate race cars, and
3) adding "enhancements" that does absolutely nothing to performance (let alone hinder it).

For those who do various things to their cars to make their car "stand out", sorry, but there are other ways to make your cars stand out. "Ricing" isn't it. That's why German tuners have been known to be the "gods" of efficiency, and that's why when "they" add headlight eyelids, it looks "good". I mean, what are the benefits of "cat's eye headlights"? I'm not saying they're "rice".

Sorry for the long post.
Old 10-23-02, 05:19 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I think you sum it up pretty well Moslub, very well said.

Old 10-23-02, 05:51 AM
legendary
Racer

thanks...I was going to say this yesterday but the thread was closed at the same time i hit 'submit reply'.

However, something told me this would come back up, so I saved it

Exactly...to each his own.
Do we need to go through the definitions of rice?

I may be new HERE, but I do know what and what NOT to put on any ride of mine. Subtle changes, upgrades is what I am about...not some big old wing or VIS kit (sorry if I hurt feelings) or glowing washer nozzles.

SURE, there are probably folks that have these items on THEIR cars. That is not me. I like it nice, and classy, with just a hint of POW.

That is how I took NOPI this year over the others in the class w/ me. They had all kinds of money invested in paint, system, rims...many forgetting the core concept...attention to details. I watched the judge judge my car for 10 minutes, then judge the car everyone anticipated would have won 1st place or best of show. He seemed very impressed with the fine details of my car....no body kits, aggressive stance, 95 front bumper conversion, custom two tone leather interior, IMMACULATELY clean and glistening engine, blacked out headlights, I mean I can go on and on.

I took home 2nd place, Luxury Conservative Class, and this is only my first real time trying to win anything. I only put my car in last year, no mods other than some rims and tint, just to drum up support from the Legend Enthusiasts, which is at a high point right about now.

NOPI is the biggest show in the U.S., so yes it means something, amongst all the other Civics and ACcords, CL's/TL's etc I had to compete against. He could see the attention to detail was there.

I would say before you judge, take a look at what you consider is rice or not...besides, if we all did the same thing, what would there be to look at...everyone on Work or HRE's?

To make it fun and fair, we all have different tastes.

I HATE Altezza Lights. I am sure you all do too.

If I saw them on your ride (which I doubt you'd do) I wouldn't put you down and scream that your have horrifically and destructively ricerified your car.
I would just say that is not my taste...your car would essentially make mine look that much better. Yes, I would be hurt that you did that, but that is life. Besides, as they say, you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Now back to the subject. I like those high beams, it would look really good with my car's dark complexion, and eventual HID changeover (not the fakies).

Please guys..not meant to flame, just my additional $.06.

Its not often at all that I quote myself, but I felt that this needed to be addressed. Over in the Legend community, they are screaming from lack of aftermarket parts. I went out and had custom strut bars made, among other performance parts....this can be seen on my website. Now that was very successful...great looks and awesome functionality...

..sure you will have an occasional scoffer, but those guys embrace any GOOD aftermarket that can be produced...they are dying for an S/C OR Turbo....and we have it in the making here.

Basically, all I am saying is I hear complaints of little aftermarket and then when someone comes out with something half decent, he is attacked or called ricer. FYI, that turns new would be vendors away from that market.

let's play nice fellas. I would like to have a few things that are already being produced vs tearinig up my knuckles every now and then, ya know? Well thanks for your time.

Thanks to the owners for giving us a great site to get very useful info!
Old 10-23-02, 10:51 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking AM I RICE??? cuz I have PIAA plasma's??

They helped,... I think?? yeah they did! the H3's kick the stock foglites butt in performance,....and the 9006's,..well that's disputeable,...but looks better.... still rice though??? awww... that sucks,... .....

I guess I ought to go ahead and totally "rice out" and go get some NOS stickers and 10 inch exhaust tips....
Old 10-23-02, 11:18 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so if i go out and dont take shortcuts and really take the time and $ to invest in one of those huge aerodynamic rear spoilers that really does help my performance and put it on my SC, that's not rice?
hmmm
Old 10-23-02, 04:23 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

The piaa's aren't rice just because they cost more. The generic xenon ones ar rice. Which reminds me that I have to get rid of mine.....
Old 10-24-02, 11:00 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking wheeeeewww,... whatta relief,.. ..got scare for a sec there...

I was gettin' ready to slap that NOS sticker on my hood,...but something told me to run in and check CL to see what the verdict was on my RICENESS:

NOT GUILTY!!

no stickers for me!
Old 11-17-02, 08:01 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

LOL, nazty's a funny guy... LOL, i luv it!
Old 11-17-02, 08:29 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

:eek: The angel eyes are hott!!!

legendary: Thats cool that yoo placed at NOPI!!! I havent been there to compete in a few years I think our team will make it down next year tho.
Old 11-17-02, 08:44 PM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by Emerald
:eek: The angel eyes are hott!!!

legendary: Thats cool that yoo placed at NOPI!!! I havent been there to compete in a few years I think our team will make it down next year tho.
I hope so, Em, it would be nice to finally meet you and see that sweet SC of yours.

Yes,it felt great to bring home a trophy...A LOT OF WORK went into getting my car converted.... look and vote for me here, Em:
http://www.onlineshowoff.com/index.a...EGENDARYLEGEND

I appreciate it
Old 11-17-02, 08:54 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll vote for ya! I wont have the Lexus by then...I dont think.

We took best BMW and longest distance one year at NOPI and won free fog lights (to stay on the 'lights subject')
Old 11-17-02, 09:37 PM
ruki400
Pole Position

Dontknow if I read the post right but.... I dont think a nice bodykit is rice, not a big fan of spoilers and wiings though. I like suttle lip spoilers like the stock.