SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Problem-toggle switch-HID-light stays on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 03:19 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem-toggle switch-HID-light stays on?

I installed HIDs to my corner lamps and ran a toggle switch inboard but,the corner lights stay on and the switch isn't doing anything?I know it's something simple but,what's causing them to stay on I have to unplug the fuse wire going to(30)relay.I followed this diagram.BTW wiring anything is my weakness
Old 02-22-12, 04:22 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you switching the + and ground?

Shouldnt the ground be where the load wire is and the load wire where the ground is on the switch?
Old 02-22-12, 05:21 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
Why are you switching the + and ground?

Shouldnt the ground be where the load wire is and the load wire where the ground is on the switch?
I tried that and I think I shorted the fuse on the cigarette adapter.One side of the fuse holder is connected to the + battery terminal and the other is on the (30)relay but, when I connected them the light stays on without the ignition on.So I have to unplug it to turn it off.
Old 02-22-12, 06:12 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

The ground should not be switched to the +. Idk how a 3pin switch works Id get a 2pin switch and wire it between the battery terminal and the relay.

Where is the white wire to the switch coming from? Another wire from the bettery + terminal?
Old 02-22-12, 06:19 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Did I hook something wrong?This is how it is right now.

---Both -negative wires from HID spliced to -battery
---Both +positive wires from HID spliced to (87)relay
---30 fuse holder one end (close)to +positive terminal other end to (30)relay
---Ground wire from -negative terminal to (85)relay
---Load switch to (86)relay
---Ground switch grounded with wire by radio
----Supply on switch to cigarette wire.

The toggle switch light turns on/off just when I plug the other end of the fuse holder coming from +battery to the (30)relay it stays on.
Old 02-22-12, 06:29 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

The ground should not be switched to the +. Idk how a 3pin switch works Id get a 2pin switch and wire it between the battery terminal and the relay.

Where is the white wire to the switch coming from? Another wire from the bettery + terminal?
The 3rd pin is for the"light"in the switch so-Ground-Load-Supply.Ground on switch is grounded by wire to surface by radio,Load switch wire is straight to (86)relay,and Supply switch wire is coming from the cigarette wire.Yeah the cig fuse blew just replaced it.
Old 02-22-12, 07:37 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I cant help u with a 3pin switch at the moment. Ill get one tomorrow and mess with it to understand its mechanism properly.

The only thing I can think off without testing anything is that the 12v+ pin and the load pin complete the circuit while the ground is for the switch light, the load also supplies power to the switch light while the circuit is complete.

So you basically have 2 supplies one from the battery + terminal to pin 30 on the relay and another power supply to the switch itself from the cig lighter. I'm tryina justify why but cant.

Like I said before, switch the yellow wire between the battery + terminal and the relay.

What exactly is the purpose of the "load" wire on pin 86? Does it have any effect on the HID mechanism itself? If thats the case then connect pin 30 and pin 86 together and instead of connecting yellow wire to pin 30 connect it to the switch where the white wire is currently connected.

In the end you should only have ONE + power supply input to the relay/system. Fuse it whichever way is appropriate for the circuit.
Old 02-22-12, 07:54 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

On a 2 pin switch setup this is what I would do, as I said I dont have much knowledge on how the 3pin switch works and do not have one handy to mess with so my diagram is for a 2pin switch just to be safe.

If you understand how a 3pin switch works better than I do then by all means modify the diagram to make a 3pin switch work.
Attached Thumbnails Problem-toggle switch-HID-light stays on?-diagram.jpg  
Old 02-22-12, 09:39 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

On a 2 pin switch setup this is what I would do, as I said I dont have much knowledge on how the 3pin switch works and do not have one handy to mess with so my diagram is for a 2pin switch just to be safe.

If you understand how a 3pin switch works better than I do then by all means modify the diagram to make a 3pin switch work.
CHA-CHING!!!!..Kudos to you Kalogerus!!!It's working now!!...I went with the 2 pin switch you have here.I was thinking and thinking that it didn't make sense not to run a +12v to the switch to activate it on/off.Just in case I don't want to be careless and drain the battery which wire taps into like the side marker lights so they shut off on there own?Thanks again for your info!!