SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why no love for the 1UZ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12 | 04:06 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by durps
What does cutting this wire actually do? Sorry, don't know what an accumulator wire is lol.
Full story here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-its-free.html

There's a firm downshift into 1st as you approach a stop. It's not enough to bother me. You can always wire a relay so that it interrupts this wire while the trans is in "sport" mode (use the 12v trigger for the sport light to trip the relay) and when it normal mode the wire is connected and shifts are smooth. I just cut the wire and don't ever plan to put it back.

The ECU is programmed to have the transmission waste power when it thinks the car will squat under acceleration or will have a harsh downshift. If I go WOT, I want a mean downshift and I want all the power the engine is making. Cutting the wire keeps the trans from ever being told to lower line pressure.

This mod simply makes the trans work like it does in a Supra or other applications that aren't tuned for luxury. Try it - you'll like what it does for 1st and 2nd gear acceleration.
Old 02-23-12 | 09:51 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MIGS
can 1UZ's make 600+ hp reliably without touching the bottom end like 1J and 2J's?

lmao @ calling a 2JGTE a "down grade" from a 1UZ.

to my knowledge the most highly modified 1UZ in history with forced induction still hasn't made as much hp as the highest modified 2JGTE and stayed reliable. it just has more toque because if the liters obviously.

but there is a replacement for displacement. its called forced induction...and on a hella reliable motor aka 1J's/2J's you can't go wrong.

That's why people ditch the 1UZ for 1J's/2J's.
Agreed, but 1uz's don't die from crank walk. I know the 1/2 J's are tough, and have tons of potential, but I've killed two 2j in my MKIII. After I went 1uz T and it's leaned all the way off the wideband gauge and just will not die lol.
Old 02-24-12 | 04:31 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

JZ's make a better noise.
Old 02-24-12 | 07:04 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

No doubt the JZ engines are great but I have to sort of agree with the OP.

I find it hard to belive that buying the JZ engine, swapping out the 1uz , getting a harness and wiring taken care of for the swap,all of the other issues u run into when swapping in a different engine, is cheaper then installing a turbo kit on your already installed and running stock 1uz.

I think alot of times people tend to follow others , I think that is whats the problem here, wanting to fit in with the supra crowd or fit in with all the other JZ guys so they go that route.

If the aussies have done it why cant north america? The fault lies with the SC community I think.
Old 02-24-12 | 09:23 AM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
No doubt the JZ engines are great but I have to sort of agree with the OP.

I find it hard to belive that buying the JZ engine, swapping out the 1uz , getting a harness and wiring taken care of for the swap,all of the other issues u run into when swapping in a different engine, is cheaper then installing a turbo kit on your already installed and running stock 1uz.

I think alot of times people tend to follow others , I think that is whats the problem here, wanting to fit in with the supra crowd or fit in with all the other JZ guys so they go that route.

If the aussies have done it why cant north america? The fault lies with the SC community I think.
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1UZ! 1UZ! 1UZ! 1UZ! 1UZ!
Old 02-24-12 | 10:07 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Dude what fault everyone is free to put whatever engine they like ...

Who is following who? So what happen if i have an RX7 and decide to do a 2JZ or an LSX engine swap at that point who am i following? lol

it's a personal preference, some like rb, you 1UZ, me JZ , the other guy LSX.

Why people alot of people don't mess with 1UZ , for example me : i don't mess with them because the engine bay look too busy, no room to work , remove the intake to get to the starter, it has 4 cams.
90% of them start to tap a over 100k+ miles, needs valves adjustment.

So i am trying to fit in the Supra crowd because you did a 2jz swap in your SC400 ? again it's preference my friend ..

Who said north americain can't do it? it has been done here for years . Actually there is guy on here that built a 1UZ from ground up i mean fully built and boosted it , made over 6XX rwhp on low boost.

I pulled my 1UZ out for an Na 2jzge-t , i had a 600rwhp setup sitting in my friend's garage so i pulled the 1UZ the day my car passed Smog test.

Old 02-24-12 | 05:56 PM
xboostx
Lead Lap

Some 1UZ love, my car...

Old 02-24-12 | 06:58 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Xboost, I cant figure out where your rad fan go? Do you have an electric fan? any side pics?
I am keeping my 1uz vvti, not in any hurry for any of the jz series engines until this this blows.
I dont know if replacing the engine hurts the value of the resale or not.
Old 02-24-12 | 07:04 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Planning on rocking my 1uz hard, for years to come.
Old 02-25-12 | 05:42 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

I'm planning on supercharging mine after the wedding (fiancee would kill me if I spent any more than general maintenance on the car before then). Currently considering just an Eaton M90 setup, but may look into other superchargers, I would love a twin screw.
Old 02-25-12 | 06:07 AM
xboostx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Xboost, I cant figure out where your rad fan go? Do you have an electric fan? any side pics?
I am keeping my 1uz vvti, not in any hurry for any of the jz series engines until this this blows.
I dont know if replacing the engine hurts the value of the resale or not.
Yes i have electric fans. I dont think i have any side pix right now. A JZ swap actually helps in value compared to a stock or N/A modded 1UZ. But F/I 1UZ's are worth money cause they are rare and expensive to do.
Old 02-25-12 | 06:48 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

but mod for mod, can it beat a 2jz??? iam going to go with a no.(ex ken herdersons tt supra)
Old 02-25-12 | 07:31 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xboostx
. A JZ swap actually helps in value compared to a stock or N/A modded 1UZ. But F/I 1UZ's are worth money cause they are rare and expensive to do.
Lol i actually just Sold the car with the 2jzge in it, buyer didn't wanna a 1UZ anyway
I am not here to bash the 1UZ guys, i am just stating the facts,my experience, my opinion .I am just reSponding to the tittle of the thread.

Last edited by 99SC42; 02-25-12 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-25-12 | 07:34 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Lol i actually just Sold the car with the 2jzge in it, buyer didn't wanna a 1UZ anyway
I am not here to bash the 1UZ guys, i am just stating the facts,my experience, my opinion .I am just reponding to the tittle of the thread.

can't say that about a 1uz

(lol)
Old 02-25-12 | 08:24 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Quicksc4;7041303]^^^ Dude what fault everyone is free to put whatever engine they like ...

Who is following who? So what happen if i have an RX7 and decide to do a 2JZ or an LSX engine swap at that point who am i following? lol

it's a personal preference, some like rb, you 1UZ, me JZ , the other guy LSX.

Why people alot of people don't mess with 1UZ , for example me : i don't mess with them because the engine bay look too busy, no room to work , remove the intake to get to the starter, it has 4 cams.
90% of them start to tap a over 100k+ miles, needs valves adjustment.

So i am trying to fit in the Supra crowd because you did a 2jz swap in your SC400 ? again it's preference my friend ..

Who said north americain can't do it? it has been done here for years . Actually there is guy on here that built a 1UZ from ground up i mean fully built and boosted it , made over 6XX rwhp on low boost.

I pulled my 1UZ out for an Na 2jzge-t , i had a 600rwhp setup sitting in my friend's garage so i pulled the 1UZ the day my car passed Smog test.
[QUOTE=Quicksc4;7041303]

Yes well of course I dont include everyone in my previous statement but I really think what I said has some truth.

Everytime new member comes here to ask how to get thge most power or what to do with their money the answer is always the same, " Get a JZ and boost it".

If someone wants to go with a 1uz they are going against the grain and will get alot of flack for it from other members, and some people would rather go the popular route rather then go their own way.

I think the 1uz leaves little room for turbo's and that is one of the major reasons for the lack of aftermarket support I think , but if there was more demand, if people decided they wanted to go the 1uz route, the support would definitely follow.

Again not knocking the Jz just saying.

Quick Reply: Why no love for the 1UZ?