Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BenStoked

can't say that about a 1uz

(lol)
ok you got me on that.
Old 02-25-12 | 08:39 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

That's because half the people who want to put a 2JZ into their car automatically think they're going to get 600+ horsepower. It doesn't matter if they've never driven anything that put half that much power to the ground or if they've ever turned a wrench in their life.

For a daily driver I'd take a boosted 1UZ in a heartbeat. Why? It will make usable power over a broader range. I don't give a damn about peak figures on a dyno. I want to know how the car feels at part throttle or if I have to punch it at a point I cant' downshift. That's when the engine's flexibility comes into play. It's easier to modulate too, compared to the off/on transition of big turbo 2JZs. The 1UZ seems to be very solid at 8-9 psi without doing any work to it so that's a sweet spot to be. If there was a reliable way to boost the 1UZ as cheaply as you can make a NA-T 2JZ, they couldn't keep the parts in stock.
Old 02-25-12 | 09:16 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

^^^ but theres not. so hence the jz engine is still king>1uz.
Old 02-25-12 | 09:26 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap
CL Folding 1M

Here's my thoughts on the jz swap from a 1uz.
The primary problem with the 1uz for most owners would be the transmission, and lack of affordable upgrades. my research leads me to believe the 1uz trans would be reliable to about the 300fwhp mark, or so.
Unless someone gets a really good deal on a uz flywheel/adapter setup, the "hookup" price for a w68/r154 swap runs in the $2000 range, which is about half of a solid 1jz swap (including misc swap parts, such as wiring harness extension by tweak, various maintenance stuff, etc.). a proper manual swap usually cost more than that.

I believe a supercharger setup, such as the Vortech SC, with fish plate from lextreme can be done for less than a full xJZ swap, to include the charger, and various supporting mods, such as a piggyback, or ecu.

I don't really count parts that would be needed for both (such as fuel pump, intercooler+piping etc.) to be part of the swap comparison, as that money would be spent regardless of which route would be taken.

I honestly believe there is much "sheep mentality" at play, especially when I see most of the na-t/swapped guys running around 400whp, on rougly the same budget as a supercharged 1uz.

I also feel most people who want more power would be content around the 400hp mark, especially those who daily drive their cars (probably opinion, not fact, though)

again, feel free to correct any incorrect data, this is what I've gleaned from my research.
I eventually intend to supercharge/r154 my lexus, and want to have the facts straight before I invest in a foolish endeavor.
Old 02-25-12 | 09:46 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Ok here is the thing people always talk about boosted Sc4, or SCged SC4 if you count on this board it's not more than 20 boosted SC400 and SCged. Why? because it's not cheap it requires alot of time, money and effort to do it right and reliable.

Dont you think if there was so much demade on these parts titan, MVP , boostlogic or some random company would start making parts for them.

MooJohn we are having a discussion it's no need to get defensive!!! it's cool.
No offense but have you ever driven a big turbo 2jz that you are refering to? what size turbo are you talking? can you give more info on that setup you are talking about? Not all the 2jz powered cars are laggy!!! it's all about the setup!! supporting mods, turbo, manifolds, fuel, CR, ECu alot of things CAMs and you know that!!
Everyone's goal is different , we all have different goals for our cars ,
You like drad racing so big 91mm turbo , glide , and Nos.
I like running in mexico 67mm , 6speed ,3.26 rear end
and the 3rd guy like to road race 62mm , r154 ,3.92 rear. So not all the 2jz are dyno queens not all of them are drag cars , not all of them have 2k rpm worth of powerband.

You might say 2jz parts are cheap when you are talking about ebay and china knockoff parts, not all the 2jz parts are cheap Sometimes I hate the fact that i own a 2jz car because the parts prices are just ridiculous.

they are reliable ways to boost the 1uz lol it's just too expensive the average guys, 99% of the work is custum there is no PNp setup for it, you have to build your own .
Old 02-25-12 | 11:41 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Ok here is the thing people always talk about boosted Sc4, or SCged SC4 if you count on this board it's not more than 20 boosted SC400 and SCged. Why? because it's not cheap it requires alot of time, money and effort to do it right and reliable.

Dont you think if there was so much demade on these parts titan, MVP , boostlogic or some random company would start making parts for them.

MooJohn we are having a discussion it's no need to get defensive!!! it's cool.
I didn't see him getting defensive. Sounds like you're the one getting defensive, but anyway.

The demand for boosted 1UZs is a paradox. No company wants to make the parts because there's no demand. But there's no demand because the parts aren't available.

I do agree with BenStoked when he mentioned the 'sheep mentality'.
Old 02-25-12 | 01:03 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Xboost, I cant figure out where your rad fan go? Do you have an electric fan? any side pics?
I am keeping my 1uz vvti, not in any hurry for any of the jz series engines until this this blows.
I dont know if replacing the engine hurts the value of the resale or not.
In my opinion it destroys the value of the car.

Personally I would only buy stock cars and I try to make sure the previous owner is at least somewhat mature and honest and not into street or track racing.

A car swapped with a new engine and turbo etc... is of course going to have been beaten on and pushed to its limits, hence i wont touch it with a ten foot pole.
Old 02-25-12 | 01:57 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
I didn't see him getting defensive. Sounds like you're the one getting defensive, but anyway.

The demand for boosted 1UZs is a paradox. No company wants to make the parts because there's no demand. But there's no demand because the parts aren't available.

I do agree with BenStoked when he mentioned the 'sheep mentality'.
You miss common sense i.e. logistics.

Where are you going to mount the turbo? underneath for more lag? in front of the radiator for maximum heatsoak?

What about an oil line?

Or the fact that the stock internals are good for 400hp v 700 on the 2jz?

I could go on but the bottom line is turbo V8 is in practical and SC still runs the same problem with internals.
Old 02-25-12 | 02:01 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

um it's a 20+ year old car. it's not an exotic. The value is hurt regardless. the jisp of this discuaaion is the people who are going to keep thier car. Caring about resale value or trying to flip sc's is more on another topic.
The fact is 1uz or 2jz n/a people wan't more power out of thier car. If they weren't concerned about keeping it then why buy the slow thing in the first place??
Old 02-25-12 | 02:02 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x

Where are you going to mount the turbo? underneath for more lag? in front of the radiator for maximum heatsoak?

What about an oil line?

I could go on but the bottom line is turbo V8 is in practical and SC still runs the same problem with internals.
^^^ how you been?? been busy lately??
Old 02-25-12 | 02:58 PM
SpecialK47
Driver

Slow thing? You gotta be kidding me, these things are quick stock, especially for their time.

700HP on stock internals? Maybe for a week, good luck daily driving it.
Old 02-25-12 | 03:27 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by account2x

What about an oil line?

I can't comment on the turbo placement issues, but 700 on stock internals? Really? Who the hell's going to build a motor to make 700 HP and decide to to keep the stock internals? And, if they do, how long would that actually last?

What a stupid argument to make.
Old 02-25-12 | 03:41 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah, that's Account.

You'll really get to like him.
Old 02-25-12 | 04:40 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

I can't comment on the turbo placement issues, but 700 on stock internals? Really? Who the hell's going to build a motor to make 700 HP and decide to to keep the stock internals? And, if they do, how long would that actually last?

That's what makes the JZ engines "special" - a) they are convenient to work on b) make high power on stock internals
Old 02-25-12 | 05:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I'll take every one of the 1UZ's you all pull to swap them. Just drop them off here.

Quick Reply: Why no love for the 1UZ?