SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why no love for the 1UZ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-12, 06:10 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
MooJohn we are having a discussion it's no need to get defensive!!! it's cool.
No offense but have you ever driven a big turbo 2jz that you are refering to? what size turbo are you talking? can you give more info on that setup you are talking about? Not all the 2jz powered cars are laggy!!! it's all about the setup!! supporting mods, turbo, manifolds, fuel, CR, ECu alot of things CAMs and you know that!!
I didn't post anything "defensive". I just said I'd take a mildly boosted v8 over a 2JZ making the same peak power any day because the 1UZ's torque would be much more usable.

Your post said exactly what I did -- that if there was a way to boost a 1UZ for $2k like a typical NA-T, there would be far more of them. LunaVyohr said it for me: There's no kit because there's no perceived demand; there's no perceived demand because there's no kit. Once your goal is huge horsepower, all bets are off since you can build either engine to make any amount of power your wallet can support.

11 years ago I built this car with my brother:

You don't get any smaller than this setup: An SP57 with a built auto and mild torque converter, HKS FMIC, downpipe & Super Dragger exhaust, with the old HKS VPC and Apexi SAFC tuning combo. It was very drivable, with quick spool (basically like stock or better) and it still trapped 120 mph @ 19 psi. You'll see there's nothing cheap in that list so I'm no stranger to quality parts.

It was built for daily driving so it didn't put down whopping dyno numbers, though its next owner did find it made just under 500 rwhp which isn't bad for an IT guy in his driveway with hand tools. It did make power now, and in messing around with other bigger turbo Supras, it would take a lead every time until the other car had time to build boost and finally catch up & pass.

I don't suffer from 2JZ envy. If I wanted one, I'd have one tomorrow. I want to do something I haven't done before and I sort of ended up in an SC by accident anyway. My SC may never be "fast" and I'm ok with that. If I could buy a blower kit for less than $5-6k (double what the whole car is worth), it would certainly increase the odds of it happening.
Old 02-25-12, 10:15 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
That's what makes the JZ engines "special" - a) they are convenient to work on b) make high power on stock internals
Okay? So what? Saying that the JZ engines can make a higher amount of power on stock internals than a 1UZ is akin to discussing who's e-***** is bigger. It doesn't matter. Once you start getting into high horsepower builds on any motor, the parts that came on it from the factory, and even the engine's own design are moot, and thrown out the window. Anyone who would keep the original internals of an engine that was built 10-20 years ago when they plan on making high amounts of power is an idiot.

As for pointing out the convenience of working on a JZ - thanks for pointing out the obvious, I guess. A straight engine will always be easier to work on than a V design engine.
Old 02-25-12, 11:12 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BenStoked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKXZT70gwNg

can't say that about a 1uz

(lol)
Lol...ftw. I love how they pop the hood of a supra and are suprised it has a jz. I would have been ****...where is the vtec!
Old 02-26-12, 01:31 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UZ>2jz/2jzgte All day and night!

J/K

I have owned both UZ and 2J its all love!
Old 02-26-12, 07:34 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I'll take every one of the 1UZ's you all pull to swap them. Just drop them off here.
drop off? will you pay for shipping??
Old 02-26-12, 11:18 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MooJohn
I didn't post anything "defensive". I just said I'd take a mildly boosted v8 over a 2JZ making the same peak power any day because the 1UZ's torque would be much more usable.

Agreed here.

IMO, if you were to keep a SC4 with all the amenities, then I believe remote mounted would be the way to go.

On my MKIII that was single with a 1uz, I had the turbo upfront (in between the motor and radiator) and I never had any overheating problems.

I think the whole six hundred on stock internals on a JZ is a little overplayed. I've seen a few of these guys that run like 61, or 67mm turbos and have issues with crankwalk.

A little pro's and con's on both sides IMO, but if you wanted to go fast for cheaper, than NA-T would be better. However, the cost of going remote mounted turbo vs swapping to a 1/2 JZ would probably about the same if you could do your own work.
Old 02-26-12, 12:45 PM
Toytech
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy is running stock 1uz block, heads and crank with the engine putting out 870hp at the rear wheels.
He gets faster as it plays.

Last edited by Toytech; 02-26-12 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added more text.
Old 02-26-12, 12:57 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

The harsh reality is this...

If a company decides to build quality performance parts for the 1UZ engine, it will be in very small quantities, maybe even on a per-order basis. Any time that happens, the price is very expensive due to the labor involved (both machine time, and man hours). Most (not all) SC400 owners either can't afford that or won't allow themselves to spend that much on forced induction parts because odds are, their entire car is worth less than the price of the parts.

There's always going to be a ton of people here who are complaining about the lack of aftermarket support for the 1UZ motors, but I guarantee you the majority of it is just talk. The guys that are serious about building a 1UZ will and do find the way and the means to do it in the PRESENT. They know it's not going to be an easy or cheap route to take.

Maybe it's just time for the "complainers" to face the facts, either admit that their car is equipped with a V8 LEXUS engine that is very costly to build and dish out the cash to modify it, or get a Honda 4cyl that is alot cheaper to build and has thousands of aftermarket parts available for purchase.
Old 02-26-12, 01:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

There's always going to be a ton of people here who are complaining about the lack of aftermarket support for the 1UZ motors, but I guarantee you the majority of it is just talk. The guys that are serious about building a 1UZ will and do find the way and the means to do it in the PRESENT. They know it's not going to be an easy or cheap route to take.

Maybe it's just time for the "complainers" to face the facts, either admit that their car is equipped with a V8 LEXUS engine that is very costly to build and dish out the cash to modify it.

Most of the "talk" comes from the JZ fan's that have aspirations of being in the next fast and furious and make all sorts of claims about swapping in a new gte with a single turbo and 6 speed getrag etc........ rarely does it ever happen.

The v8 lovers usually appreciate the sc for what it is and are rarely the ones butchering their cars with all sorts of swaps, aftermarket parts and tuner/ricer upgrades.

All us v8 guys are saying is that there isnt much support for our engine thats all, were not whining or complaining, fact is I find it has enough power for my liking anyways.

It would be nice to see some support and readily available parts for the 1uz but the fact is I dont go to the track and street racing is not a very wise thing to do so im really not bothered either way.
Old 02-26-12, 02:18 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the biggest issues plaguing the entire SC forum is this misconception that boost should be and is a cheap thing to do. There seem to be more people playing the who turbo'd their car the absolute cheapest way than whose build is the highest quality game. This is a big issue among the 1j/2j guys and Im sure its impacting any possible innovation among the 1UZ crowd. That being said, I wouldnt mind a pretty reasonable SC kit for the 400 to throw on an LS.
Old 02-26-12, 02:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Most of the "talk" comes from the JZ fan's that have aspirations of being in the next fast and furious and make all sorts of claims about swapping in a new gte with a single turbo and 6 speed getrag etc........ rarely does it ever happen.

The v8 lovers usually appreciate the sc for what it is and are rarely the ones butchering their cars with all sorts of swaps, aftermarket parts and tuner/ricer upgrades.

All us v8 guys are saying is that there isnt much support for our engine thats all, were not whining or complaining, fact is I find it has enough power for my liking anyways.

It would be nice to see some support and readily available parts for the 1uz but the fact is I dont go to the track and street racing is not a very wise thing to do so im really not bothered either way.
What exactly didn't you agree with? You stated some opinions which have nothing to do with the point I was making. What does the 1jz/2jz crowd have to do with the SC400 owners looking to mod a 1UZ? And how is an engine swap with a 6spd render someone or some car a ricer?
Old 02-26-12, 03:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
What exactly didn't you agree with? You stated some opinions which have nothing to do with the point I was making. What does the 1jz/2jz crowd have to do with the SC400 owners looking to mod a 1UZ? And how is an engine swap with a 6spd render someone or some car a ricer?
its relating to you stating that the 1uz guys here are 'all talk' and 'whiners and complainers'.

Its not the case thats all im saying.
Old 02-26-12, 04:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
its relating to you stating that the 1uz guys here are 'all talk' and 'whiners and complainers'.

Its not the case thats all im saying.
The majority is all talk. There are only a handful of guys on this entire board that went the FI road with their SC400, and I applaud them. There are supercharger kits, headers, full exhaust, manual tranny swap guides for the UZ. How many people are actually doing it? VERY few. They'd rather complain that there is no readily available TT or single turbo kit for their car. It's because companies know they won't sell so why waste time developing such product? If turbo kits were available, they would cost an arm and a leg and the complaining would continue.
Old 02-26-12, 05:46 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ Well said.
Old 02-26-12, 06:29 PM
Reesetrict
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it came down to a price war... and I have ALWAYS dreamed of owning a 2jzgte. For $15k total investment I have a 750whp car. Nuff said.

Quick Reply: Why no love for the 1UZ?