SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

got my cluster. looking for a DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 12:51 PM
groverwood
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my cluster. looking for a DIY

I bought a replacement cluster for my 93 SC400. burnt out needles, etc...

I searched the DIYs during lunch and couldn't pinpoint the right one for the job.

any body know where the DIY is for replacing the instrument cluster on a 93 sc400?
Old 03-05-12, 01:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Here's a LINK to the only one's I have handy.
Speedometer Cluster Removal
(these instructions are provided for how to remove, do NOT disassemble the cluster itself.)

Explanation:

- remove two screws at top of cluster behind small covers.
- pull black dimmer panel at bottom of cluster out towards you. It will be hard to pull. Unplug the two harness's.
- remove 4 screws around cluster.
- unplug 3 harness plugs in back of cluster.

http://www.lextech.org/images/clusterremoval1.jpg

http://www.lextech.org/images/clusterremoval2.jpg
Old 03-05-12, 01:40 PM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Here's a LINK to the only one's I have handy.
Isn't there something you should do with the steering wheel too (to give it clearance)? I think it's push it all the way down and out and then depress the AUTO button on it so it doesn't go back after you pull the key out.
Old 03-05-12, 01:58 PM
groverwood
Driver

thanks.

when reading one from an ES, it says something about removing the negative battery cable or the airbag light won't go off.

wondering if that's an issue with the SCs.

also....
there's an auto button?
Old 03-05-12, 02:41 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, the Auto is for Auto Telescoping wheel. you know how the wheel goes in and up so you can get out of the car without knocking you leg on the wheel? It's on the left hand side of the steering column
Old 03-05-12, 02:49 PM
groverwood
Driver

perfect. thanks again.
Old 03-05-12, 02:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by DONT SLEEP
Isn't there something you should do with the steering wheel too (to give it clearance)? I think it's push it all the way down and out and then depress the AUTO button on it so it doesn't go back after you pull the key out.
considering it is broke on 70% of the SC's out there.......nope
Old 03-05-12, 04:52 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Also when you lower the wheel, remove the covers around the wheal while u at it. My friend scratched his and it did not look pretty.
Old 03-05-12, 05:21 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Removed mine twice this weekend (don't ask). All of the points above are correct. It helps if you remove the plastic cover behind the steering wheel. It's only 3 screws and pops right off. There is a video on youtube but I'm not allowed to post links. Do a search on youtube and you'll find a great DIY video. My only advice is too use a magnetic screw driver when removing the two screws at the bottom of the actual cluster. Also, if you plug everything back up and some of the lights are still out, smack the top of your dash and some of them come back. My lights behind the gas gauge are still out for some reason even though the bulb is in good condition. Going to check it out again this weekend and play with the connections a bit. Best of luck and take your time. Don't get frustrated when removing the wire harnesses. If it's the first time they've been removed, they can be a real pain but be gentle.
Old 03-05-12, 06:03 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

^^ some bulbs "look" good but are actually burned out, probably broken at the base of the bulb where you cant see. My suggestion is to spend about $22 on 8 sylvania long life #24 bulbs from autozone. Smaller bulbs are #74. Those sylvania bulbs look strong and shine nicely.

Oh yeah and removing those bulbs from the bases is gonna be a pain in the rear end. Use a needle nose to pull the metal tab
Old 03-05-12, 06:23 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
^^ some bulbs "look" good but are actually burned out, probably broken at the base of the bulb where you cant see. My suggestion is to spend about $22 on 8 sylvania long life #24 bulbs from autozone. Smaller bulbs are #74. Those sylvania bulbs look strong and shine nicely.

Oh yeah and removing those bulbs from the bases is gonna be a pain in the rear end. Use a needle nose to pull the metal tab
Wish I would've known these would fit. I went around and replaced all mines with 74 bulbs. I thought they would atleast look brighter seeing they are new, but they still looked the same.

Definitely take your time with the cluster. Tilt from the top toward you when you are trying to get it out. I tried from the bottom because that looked easier but it definitely wasn't.
Old 03-05-12, 06:38 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

#74 are a good substitute as they're less likely to burn unlike the the #37 bulbs for some reason, but again, all bulbs burn out eventually and for no reason at all. Also you wont enjoy any kind of bulbs as much with the tinted face on, it takes so much away from it and difference between factory #37 and #24 is minimal with that thing on.

I've been experimenting for a few weeks with bulbs etc and was driving with the face off. Could never get used to it back on, even with the bright lextech re-man'ed cluster. You can tell how much I hate that face lol
Old 05-13-12, 01:06 PM
groverwood
Driver

OK, I replaced the cluster (finally) and now have bigger problems I think. the needles light up good but, the rest of the panel is dead. I put the old cluster back in and only a small portion of the lights work. The lower right section. wtf did I do wrong? I checked all the fuses and they all seem to be ok.

with the old cluster in, i could move one of the connectors a bit and get the few bulbs that would work, to flicker. with the new one, i get nothing.

please help. please tell me you've seen this before. I'm going to drive it with no dash lights. I think i'll rig up some sort of flashlight for now.

major bummer.

any help?

just drove it. no speedometer or tach.

wtf???

Last edited by groverwood; 05-13-12 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 04:52 PM
scsd300

Default blown fuse also

Originally Posted by groverwood
OK, I replaced the cluster (finally) and now have bigger problems I think. the needles light up good but, the rest of the panel is dead. I put the old cluster back in and only a small portion of the lights work. The lower right section. wtf did I do wrong? I checked all the fuses and they all seem to be ok.

with the old cluster in, i could move one of the connectors a bit and get the few bulbs that would work, to flicker. with the new one, i get nothing.

please help. please tell me you've seen this before. I'm going to drive it with no dash lights. I think i'll rig up some sort of flashlight for now.

major bummer.

any help?

just drove it. no speedometer or tach.

wtf???
Thanks for putting this tread um i was just going to do one myself. This is my problem I keep on blowing the 10A fuse in the driver junction block. I was wondering if you were testing for the same problem or just replaced the dash because of the visual symptoms?

I will try to keep you updated on my progress also.
Old 08-28-12, 02:46 PM
speedmike
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever solve your issue? I want to try this diy this weekend.