SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

dashboard lighting repair plus!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-02, 08:19 PM
vulaevu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED HELP

OK U PROS, I OWN AN 95 SC400.. I WANT MY DASH LIGHTS TO LIGHT UP AS BRIGHT AS THE 97 SC AND UP./ DO U KNOW WAT I MEAN. FROM THE 92-95 THEY LIGHT UP IN AN AMBER COLOR. THE 97-00 LIGHTS UP SUPER WHITE.. CAN ANYONE PLEASE SHOW ME HOW TO DO THIS CONVERSION IF POSSIBLE. EMAIL ME AT VULAEVU@YAHOO.COM THANKS EVERYONE...
Old 12-08-02, 11:19 PM
AMSC400
Driver School Candidate

everyone, don't let this post die! i really want those blue needles, and you guys need to help figure it out. i could probably do the work myself and want to know how. i know you guys can do it!
Old 01-15-03, 03:55 AM
Duker44
Driver School Candidate

Advertising of any kind is prohibited in any posting area of ClubLexus forums. Individuals interested in advertising on the ClubLexus site should contact the Administrator. All the advertising threads will either be moved or closed.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 01-15-03 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-15-03, 05:21 AM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

I think you guys are getting a little out of control here. OK I live in the land of JDM Soarers and we don't have no stinking needles

First thing. I have never seen a gauge in a car where the needle weight change will cause the needle to read significantly differently. Usually, they have a coil and magnet... voltage across coil relates to deflection. Tiny changes in needle weight = no effect. The other kind I have seen are stepper motors. Changes in weight = no effect. Calibration would IMHO probably be to make sure the impedance of the coil matches the factory spec. Now naturally, if you strap 2 pounds of lead to your needle, it's gonna need some work.

I don't know what is currently on your needles, but I would think it would be LEDs or maybe a bulb.. I don't know, I haven't seen a needle close up. Someone, have a go at replacing them!!! LEDs don't usually "burn out". Look for faulty connections.

If this guy is changing to CCFL tubes actually stuck on the needle (or making up the entire needle), then yes, they will be expensive. And yes, they will probably be very bright and uniform, assuming he does it right.

You guys over there need more ingenuity. Out here we will have a go at anything that isn't... well.... no, we will have a go at anything.
Old 01-15-03, 05:36 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

way to ricey for me, stock is fine..
and that guy i s right. its just blue needles.. nothing special.
damn, i though this forum was filled with people that gaved more respect to their car, but it seems like some like that nasty custom ****. its like those lame neon lights on cars..
i rather have the JDM gauge cluster then the one thats in my car.

Last edited by NRG; 01-15-03 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-15-03, 03:28 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the term "rice" has much relevance here. This guy in Texas is just converting the needles (and potentially the white backlighting) to the newer technology used in current Lexus production vehicles. The red in the new Lexus models (like LS) is brighter and more red them the SC 400 ones (ours have a bit of an orange hue in the red). He is also offering different colors besides red, but it is the same basic technology. The picture does look a bit neon, but I think this is for two reasons: 1) Pictures can sometimes not show the contrast perfectly; 2) This was a pre-production model that was done before Justin got the dimming features worked out. I think the blue color is unique and also goes better with the hue of the climate control and Audio displays.
Old 01-16-03, 01:56 AM
Duker44
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man..
nice to hear someone is sticking up for me...

Yep I'm hearing all of this.. If you guys have any questions just post them. I'll answer them.

-Justin
Old 01-16-03, 02:43 AM
legendary
Racer

have you gotten pricing worked out yet?

last time I checked it wass still under evaluation...thank you for making this happen.
Old 01-16-03, 03:16 AM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

HA. I don't think he is allowed to post pricing, as it is "advertising", even though there are a lot of people asking.

What do you want... like, information or something? BAH. This is the internet. If you want information, go read a book.
Old 01-16-03, 09:29 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Since the interest is high, why doesn't someone post a link to a website, and let us folks look for the info, so they don't have to advertise.

Personally I think this advertising rule is being a bit exploited; but I guess money talks. Its ashame the best interest for all the members is at the expense of the profits of the owners.

Sad-
Old 01-17-03, 12:13 AM
Duker44
Driver School Candidate

Well to be carefull about the advertising issue, you may look us up on yahoo/google under "lexus,dash " keywords
Were out there.. and the priceing is posted on the site and i'm hoping that people understand the process.

I Should be the second result you will come up with.

Since I can't advertise I can however Answer any technical questions you may have.

I've already been warned about the "offense" and don't mean to break any rules..

Oh and yes It takes almost 6 hrs to do the conversion with 3 additional hours of testing.

-Justin

Maybe someone other than me could post a link?
Old 01-17-03, 12:25 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

is there a way you can show us or show instructions on how to do a DIY ourselves?? i understand its a business of yours but us CL members like to share information.
Old 01-17-03, 12:39 AM
Duker44
Driver School Candidate

Well you could do the work but it would be hard to get the parts since all of the parts had to be custom built to this application.

And there are calibration issues. which also take special equipment to make sure that 5 mph is still 5 mph and not 15mph. ect.. the needle balance is very important for accurate readings.

The first dash costed me about $5,000 to convert correctly because of all the prototypeing costs and R&D involved.

I'm all for helping the guys in the group shareing information.. This is just not a quick fix unfortunatly.

-Justin

Last edited by Duker44; 01-17-03 at 12:42 AM.