SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Having reservations about tint (m).....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-02, 05:10 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having reservations about tint (m).....

Im still debating on whether to tint my black SC. I have never had a car that was tinted...and mostly because Im afraid I wont like it when its done and Ill be stuck with it. Whats your guys thoughts on tinting a black car?
If I do get it tinted...Id want it light, not dark.
How do they measure tint? What is legal in most states in terms of percentages.....?
On the SC....will it screw up the rear defroster lines on the rear window? Thanks.
Oh...one more thing...I know the windows are factory tinted brown....is that actually in the window or will the tint shop have to remove that first (the factory tint)?
Old 10-27-02, 05:14 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

the brownish tint is actually the window, its a higher quality glass than most cars (older higher quality japanese vehicles).

tint- go for it check out www.mr.tint.com I think they have your local laws on tint.

I have DARK black tint on my black Maxima 13% all around... it looks very very nice

on the SC I have 13% all around, doesnt look as dark because of the tan interior next to the Maximas black interior

black on black=
Old 10-27-02, 05:15 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

oh yea and the tint itself wont mess up your defroster lines, removing a bad tint job will damage them- invest in getting higher quality tint with a metallicized film instead of the other junk out there- make sure the place gives you a lifetime warranty with the tint
Old 10-27-02, 10:00 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Here is FL You really cant go without tinting your car but at the meet yesterday there was a few and they all had tint. I'll post the pics soon and I think vaki2 will too. You'll see his car is black with a pretty dark tint and it looks great. Having a dark tint on any car pretty much looks great. Thats the first thing I did to my SC when I got it. A black SC with tint...it does look nice.

Last edited by jimmit; 10-27-02 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-27-02, 05:44 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default do it

Do it man! That was probably my first mod.... limo tint (5%). Probably too dark for your tastes, but even a milder tint will be so much nicer for you and your eyes in the summer.

tim
Old 10-27-02, 05:59 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it, it looks nice specially on a black car. If you don't want it too dark but dark enough to keep the sun down a bit <and protect your leather a bit too> go for 32% or so, thats the legal limit here though, you might want to check the limit on your state. I would go for gunmetal which looks black, not yellowish or anything like that. btw If you use radar, I wouldn't recommend getting metal tint....
Old 10-27-02, 06:08 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

My SC is black also and I’m trying to figure out the same question. The shop wants to do a 35% Platinum tint. This looks similar to the new Mercedes. By day it looks light but it night they said it makes a slight mirror look. I have never actually seen this though. They also said they could do a 20% Platinum that would be very dark during the day but at night it would look like a sheet of ice. Any thoughts or experience with this type of tint?
Old 10-27-02, 06:15 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by EvoTuned
My SC is black also and I’m trying to figure out the same question. The shop wants to do a 35% Platinum tint. This looks similar to the new Mercedes. By day it looks light but it night they said it makes a slight mirror look. I have never actually seen this though. They also said they could do a 20% Platinum that would be very dark during the day but at night it would look like a sheet of ice. Any thoughts or experience with this type of tint?
that kinda tint looks sweet but it can be tough to see out of the windows... also this kind of tint gets the most attention from cops but on colors like black white or silver it looks sweet
Old 10-27-02, 09:14 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ehhh..

Personally, I don't like the platinum tint..

Just my .02

Tim
Old 10-27-02, 09:19 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

If I had a black car, the first mod would be no less than 5% limo tint and maybe 20% on the front. The metallic fleck in the tint sheets is what gives your windows the reflectivity so opt for that----just avoid the metallic finish and stick with a smoked finish. Make sure your tint guy is a pro and uses good stuff too. Tint isn't the type of stuff you want to cut corners on, unless you like dealing with bubbles and discoloration.
Old 10-27-02, 09:22 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah, another reason to get tint: it saves your leather!
Old 10-27-02, 11:08 PM
strongsail
Instructor

I read a thread in the electronics forum that mentioned metallic tint causing reception problems with portable cell phones - the metallic film shields the interior and the phone can't receive well, I guess -

(of course we don't need tint here in the Northwest, the sun never shines here)

Last edited by strongsail; 10-27-02 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-28-02, 12:14 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

MJR24,

Take a look. 50 in front, 30 in back.

Old 10-28-02, 12:46 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by strongsail
I read a thread in the electronics forum that mentioned metallic tint causing reception problems with portable cell phones - the metallic film shields the interior and the phone can't receive well, I guess -

(of course we don't need tint here in the Northwest, the sun never shines here)
They do interfere with GPS navigation systems from what I hear from the GS guys, but I've had no problems with my AT&T cell phone service and Llumar Metallic window tint.
Old 10-28-02, 01:27 AM
EvoTuned
Driver

I was looking through the GS forum and they recommended Quantum and Titanium. They also said the platinum would give a greenish hue. Is this true or is it because of the GS's factory tint? Also like mjr24 said would the tint shop have to remove our factory tint first? Hermosa and lex400sc did you have the shop remove it?

Quick Reply: Having reservations about tint (m).....