SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

rear window replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-12, 12:47 PM
demonspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear window replacement

Hey guys and girls! Had a quick question and hopefully you guys can help. I just picked up a sc400 for cheap...reason being is that it needs the back glass. Now, i found a guy that will sell me his but i have to take it out myself. Has anyone done this? Ive looked on youtube on how to remove glass and it seems simple enough, but im a measure twice cut once kinda guy lol! I have suction cups to pull it out once its ready.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-11-12, 02:13 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Buy the thinest guitar or piano string that seems tough I used a high e to do this but took a while something thinner would cut faster. wrap it around something to make a handle a wood dowel with a hole in it and wrapped around is what I did
Old 03-11-12, 04:43 PM
demonspeed
Driver School Candidate

How would i start it? Would I just cut a small hole and feed it through?
Old 03-11-12, 06:37 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

I fed it through using a pair of needle nose pliers it was quite sharp, poked right through the "goop" It took me and my dad around 2.5 hrs was quite a pain. Call a good friend to help and pack a 12 pack of quality beer no cheap stuff
Old 03-11-12, 07:18 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

go buy some conduit tubing from home depot. about a 2 ft of it 3/4'' or 1/2'' take a hammer and flatten one end of the tube to where a box cutter blade would fit in it. use this as your cutting tool, similar to the professional glass removal tool. spray bottle+ soap and water to make window weld slippery and cut away. this is how pros do it but not with homemade tools. should take ~15 min and shouldnt damage the guys paint
Old 03-11-12, 07:50 PM
demonspeed
Driver School Candidate

Well the guy ran into a telephone pole or somethin so his sc is out of comission...but ill swing by home depot and pick that stuff up after work tomorrow
Old 03-11-12, 08:18 PM
demonspeed
Driver School Candidate

Now how should i cut it? Should i go at it like im scraping ice off the glass and get underneath or should go from the top and work my way out?
Old 03-12-12, 08:22 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Let me know how it works, take some pictures and show us the tool and how its done fifteen minutes sounds much better then 2.5 hrs.. mind you there was alot of beer drinking and smoke breaks
Old 03-12-12, 08:41 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a big old knife that can be trashed afterwards and heated the S*** out of it, glided through the glue like butta. In some parts I did the conduit trick with a blade in it, also heated that up. Took about 30 min. Also watch out for the window place holders that are on the top of the window and if I remeber correctly, there are a few on the bottome as well.

good luck!
Old 03-13-12, 12:50 AM
demonspeed
Driver School Candidate

Did you have to take the rear interior out to do this? And i will definately be taking pics since NOBODY has documented this on the intrwebz haha!
Old 03-13-12, 08:50 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I already had the interior out when I pulled the glass, not sure if others took it out or not. I guess it seemed a little easier with it out.
Old 03-13-12, 01:13 PM
demonspeed
Driver School Candidate

Well since it was snowing i decided to go take another look...lol! It seems like i would have to remove the pillars and the headliner to get full access to the window. It seems as if our cars dont have weatherstripping, just a thick *** urethane bead all the way around. I tried forcing my execto knife into it but it was like trying to cut a rock so my next idea is to somehow either heat up the urethane or heat up a blade and slice right through it.

Im thinking it would be easier for me to heat up a blade to start the hole and then feed the wire through. This is just me thinking right now as i type this, but can anyone see disaster in doing this?
Old 03-13-12, 02:09 PM
demonspeed
Driver School Candidate

it was a pain in the *** to find this online but this might come in handy for some folks besides me:

http://home.comcast.net/~ishootstuff...hop_Manual.pdf

apparently it says in section BO-54 that i dont even need to cut anything...just push piano wire through so this might go easier than i orginally planned...
Old 03-13-12, 06:44 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I bought the windshield removal kit from Eastwood. You can also find them on eBay for about $20. It consist of an L shaped blade with a T handle attached to it. Once you get that you can remove the glass in 5 minutes by yourself.
Old 03-14-12, 11:19 PM
demonspeed
Driver School Candidate

I found that t handle blade thing at harbor freight. They wanted about 14 bucks for it...i might get it before i grab the glass...

Quick Reply: rear window replacement