SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC or MKIII Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 12:37 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
I usually hear the... YOU PAID 4k FOR A 1997 CAR........ yet these are the same people that go out to a car dealership and buy a 95 dodge spirit for $1600......
or 20+k on a 1993-1998 supra.

My insurance guy was floored when I had more insurance on my 1994 Supra as to my 2001 IS300. Once he valued the car he then realized why. All people hear is the word toyota and then 1994. When they book it is when they finally ask what is a Supra? lol I love it
Old 03-16-12, 01:03 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOu are a lucky man.
Old 03-16-12, 01:56 PM
LameSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved my mkIII it was my first car, it was gutted and had plenty of boost, it was an eyesore though. It also had its fair share of problems.

I sold it and saved that money now I have an sc300 and for a daily car it's great. I mean it has had some issues too but still it's an amazing car. I'd defenetly get another mkIII and swap it if I had the funds.

I mean just pick up which ever one you want and have fun with it.
Old 03-16-12, 04:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
This is how the conversations go with an average guy if you own an SC.

"Why did you buy such an old Lexus? WOW REALLY? It comes stock with the same motor as the Supra? Oh so it doesn't have the same twin turbos. How many does it have? Really? None? Well it must be easy to just throw them in if they have identical motors otherwise, right? Hmmm... Interesting. So you really have to swap the motor don't you?"

Pick your poison and enjoy explaining the car when people ask why you didn't just buy a MKIV
Lol I dont know what sort of rich snobs some of the members hang out with here, but a clean sc with a set of nice rims is all u need to be cruising in relative style.

Its a great looking car and around here its very rare, i get nothing but positive comments on my car not sure about the rest fo you.

Originally Posted by LameSC300
I loved my mkIII it was my first car, it was gutted and had plenty of boost, it was an eyesore though. It also had its fair share of problems.
Yea man the looks just arent there
Old 03-16-12, 07:34 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Most people who don't like the looks of the MK3 Supra (or the MK2 for that matter) weren't of driving age (or weren't born!) when they were new. It was nice enough that BMW copied it for their 8 series. What other car designs from 1987-88 have held up better?

And a Dodge Spirit for $1600 -- if it was an R/T I'd buy it! Turbo sleepers are fun.
Old 03-16-12, 08:19 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

How can people not like that?
Old 03-16-12, 09:21 PM
hellaboost
Driver School Candidate

i had the same dilema... get whatevers clean in your price range. Both cars are awsome when done up right only flaw to the mk3 is the interior, dashboards are hard to find clean and they just look ancient on the inside
Old 03-16-12, 09:58 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr

How can people not like that?
In all fairness, that car has more bodywork done to it than Michael Jackson.

What, too soon?
Old 03-16-12, 10:00 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

LOL that does look sick.
Old 03-17-12, 12:59 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I would choose the sc over the mk3. To me the sc looks better than the mk3. What i love most about the sc is that cars 10 years later dont even have options of what the sc have. My friends 05 tsx doesnt even have power passenger seats, or heated side mirrors. I came from the 240sx scene and im glad i made the change. The technology that was put into these cars are basically awesome for a car that can be found under 5k.
Old 03-17-12, 02:38 AM
xHypnofish
Driver

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
I would choose the sc over the mk3. To me the sc looks better than the mk3. What i love most about the sc is that cars 10 years later dont even have options of what the sc have. My friends 05 tsx doesnt even have power passenger seats, or heated side mirrors. I came from the 240sx scene and im glad i made the change. The technology that was put into these cars are basically awesome for a car that can be found under 5k.
agreed.... I nearly shat myself the first time i realized my mirrors were heated
Old 03-17-12, 06:17 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xHypnofish
agreed.... I nearly shat myself the first time i realized my mirrors were heated
In both the lexus IS and SC's that I've owned always had just 1 lazy heated mirror. My mk3 heated mirrors were never lazy at all and the Toyota electronic modulated suspension still worked as if it were new.
The door panels in any of my previous mk3's held up better than the SC's unfortunately and the mk3 seats were more comfortable than my MK4 seats that are also in my SC. Man those things suck during long trips. The mk3 seats offered more adjustments as well. The sound system is a ton better then the mk3's thats for sure and the SC's antenna still works lol.

I love each car for what it was and to compare one to the other is apples to oranges. My 88 mk3 had more neat options in it then most of the newer cars do today. But IMHO its like comparing an ISF to an IS300 lol
Old 03-17-12, 08:56 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I've owned 2 Mk3s, loves both of them, but the sc so much more modern today than supra
To make your supra like the one in a pic above you do have to shell out some dough and with 7mge/t blowing head gaskets like I'm going through tires, there is no going back for me. I like the sc more, because it's just a more updated of a vehicle, is more reliable and less maintenance compared to old supra.
I do love my sc more than I did supra may be because it's a more of a lady friendly/classy too
Old 03-17-12, 04:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
In all fairness, that car has more bodywork done to it than Michael Jackson.

What, too soon?
lol **********
Old 03-17-12, 09:27 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got both and have had several of each. An 89 MKIII Turbo and an SC 400. I love them both for what they are. I was teens early 20's when the MKIII's were new and I got the pleasure of driving a new 1992 model once. I've loved them since. Now, if you want to just jump in the car and drive across the country I'd go in the SC. If I took the Supra I'd have to take my tools, my jack, coolant, extra hoses, flash lights, oil, etc...
I just got in from Houston after going to TX2K12. Half my garage is still in the hatch of my Supra. I've got a phantom coolant leak I can't find, the ball joints are shot, and the diff is leaking a little. Still love it.

Moral of the story, don't buy an MKIII and expect to daily drive it right away. Like stated in a previous post, most of them have been owned by 20 different punk kids who have bastardized them in one way or another. You'll need time, money and patience to own it. But once it's going good, there's nothing like cruising down the highway in one.

Last edited by gtsfire; 03-17-12 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: SC or MKIII Supra?